Nalda Said by Stuart David

Nalda Said (edition 2005)

by Stuart David (Author)

Riddled by an intense fear of his bizarre secret being discovered, the narrator of Nalda Said grows up in the strange seclusion of a shoddy caravan with his Aunt Nalda, whose own colorful storytelling leaves him perpetually trapped between fantasy and reality. Nalda's nephew eventually finds work as a hospital gardener where, perhaps for the first time, he finds true friendship and begins to realize that his dark secret has been suffocating what hope he had of ever leading a normal life.Nalda Said is a disturbing, compelling and brilliantly crafted tale of one man's pained anxiety and desperate search for his dream -- to live a normal life.… (more)
Member:pqfuller
Title:Nalda Said
Authors:Stuart David (Author)
Info:Turtle Point Press (2005), Edition: First Edition, 152 pages
Tags:to-read, to-buy

Nalda Said by Stuart David

Beautiful. The first half didn't grab me, and the deliberately clumsy prose was hard to warm to, but I recommend pushing through if you feel the same way. It's very sad, but in an honest way. I couldn't help but think about my own driving (and stifling) fears, and missed opportunities to change. ( )
  matt_ar | Dec 6, 2019 |
librino comprato davvero per caso... era un remainder, la copertina un amore.. anche la trama stuzzicante quanto basta..

cominci a leggere e... ok, bisogna prendersi giusto il tempo di qualche capitolo per ingranare.. anche perché 'sto tizio mica c'è abituato a parlare con la gente!
è tipo che da una cosa passa a un'altra, e poi a un'altra ancora, che ai fatti (presenti e passati) ti mescola pensieri e sensazioni, che uno lì per lì dice "ma che cacch..!?", e invece.. poi all'improvviso ti ritrovi a cogliere il filo del discorso, e ti ritrovi ad ascoltare ammaliata la sua storia.
perché è quella la sensazione che ti dà.. di un amico che ti racconta la sua storia.

il finale è un po' troppo *** anche per me.
ma, come ogni favola che si rispetti, una morale ce l'ha.. e arriva forte e chiara!
;) ( )
  cry6379 | Sep 17, 2017 |
Quirky little novel from a former member of the great Belle and Sebastian. I believe this is Stuart David's debut novel. It is bizarre, but not totally unrelatable. The main character is overly shy and awkward with the world and people around him, and is seemingly tortured by the secret he tries so hard to keep from everyone else. I enjoyed reading this book and have recommended it to people who like to identify with characters that feel like outcasts, even if their outcast state is of their own making. ( )
  WashburnJ | Sep 11, 2012 |
Once upon a time, Stuart David was a member of Belle and Sebastian. Now he is an author. So far, so good.
This is a very sad little book. I say "little" because it's fairly short and I say "sad" because it is fairly sad. Why is it sad? Well, this book is kind of like a fairy tale. There's a young boy, alone in the world, and the treasure he seeks. Only the treasure is inside him. Literally. Or maybe it isn't. ( )
  DameMuriel | Aug 13, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,200,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible