Intangible (Piercing the Veil Book 1) by C.…

Intangible (Piercing the Veil Book 1) (edition 2013)

by C. A. Gray (Author)

Member:ksd2
Title:Intangible (Piercing the Veil Book 1)
Authors:C. A. Gray (Author)
Info:Wanderlust Publishing (2013), Edition: 1, 484 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned, Kindle

Intangible (Piercing the Veil, #1) by C A Gray

Received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If you're a fan of the Harry Potter series and are familiar with the Arthurian legend, then you'll love this book! As a HUGE Potterhead I instantly fell in love with Gray's style of storytelling--this was a seriously irresistible coming-of-age fantasy adventure! Can't stress this enough: Harry Potter + Arthurian Legend = AWESOME Sauce!!!

I was slightly busier than usual, so it took me a bit longer to finish. But I thought the pacing was perfect. I was able to pick it up and jump right back into the action. Every time I had to put it down, all I could do was think about how badly I wanted to find out what happened next. You could tell this book was well researched and thought out. Nothing felt rushed. The twists and turns were fun and very surprising. Ms. Gray did a beautiful job of blending the reality and fantasy worlds together and the exposition was handled in an extremely entertaining manner. So often you can get caught up in the tiny details of explaining your world. Gray nailed it.

What was really interesting is that the main characters aren't all that loveable right off the bat. They're awkward--a little lost. Anti-heroes of a sort. Particularly Brock and Peter. Realistic! But I just loved seeing each and every one of these characters go through a journey or growth and self-discovery. I felt compelled to root for these kids.

"Intangible" is smart, very well written, and a heap of fun! Very much looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  caitlinobauer | Jul 12, 2016 |
For me, this book was one of those cases where the idea sounds great, but the actual book was not so much. I loved the premise and was very excited to read this book, because I’m a big fan of Arthurian legends. I’m sad to say that I was a bit disappointed, but maybe my expectations were too high.

I liked how imaginative the book was and how the Arthurian legend was used, but I didn’t like the characters so much. It’s not that they were exactly flat, but they felt somewhat undeveloped. After I finished the book, I couldn’t say that many things about them. Also, to me it looked like the “why” for some characters’ actions was sometimes missing or not explained that well.

In general, not a bad book, but on the lower part of YA (I mean the age part), so all the science is not as explained as in the more mature YA books. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something worth mentioning. Also, I am curious about how the series will develop. Who knows? Maybe I’ll like the series as a whole more than this individual book.

[I got this book as an ARC via NetGalley] ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
Peter is a highly intelligent 14 year old with a lot of theories and not the best social life. He is firmly grounded in reality and has little time or patience for stories, legends of mythology

Lilly has seen the supernatural since she was a child, fully aware of the invisible spirits and creatures that lurk everywhere and have their coils in everyone.

Lilly gets confirmation that she is not actually insane while Peter has his world view shattered when they both find themselves under attack by unknown forces – and the very centre of an an epic prophecy that dates back to Arthurian times – they may be the lynch pin in an invisible war for humanity that has been raging for centuries.

This book seems to be the first book in a series and I think it has fallen into the trap that many first books do – it’s far more concerned with introducing the world and the characters than it is with actually telling a story. A huge amount of this book is exposition, character development (though not so much of that) and world building (and world revelation) without any particular adherence to the story. There are times when the exposition is delivered in great big info dumps or long mental rambles that feel like lectures (well, in some cases, actually are lectures) more than actually telling a story. We have a few peaks of action but the rest is revelation and info reveal.

The world building is intriguing, the different magic system, the history, the Arthurian legend all comes together to be a fairly original world setting with really high potential. The invisible world, the different kind of spirits, what they can do, the underlying war and the hidden side community. I also like how it drew in scientific principles into its magic – it really is an excellent world and concept.

I do think there were some elements that could have been addressed more – like it’s said that people don’t invent things to make people’s gifts obsolete and that most people don’t push their gifts – that sounds like a recipe for a very very stagnant society.

But it doesn’t always hold together well. Like the hidden community has a rather utopian sharing of resources, everyone contributes to the whole and they don’t have currency – then they have a shop with a sale. Or there’s a point made on how Arthurian legends are true because so many cultures have the stories… but they don’t. Arthurian legends are a British and (later) French thing which have entered more wider popular culture, but you’d be hard pressed to point to even a Europe-wide collection of Arthurian legend, let alone world wide. This book is also set in England and generally does a decent job of that – but if you are English you are going to have moments of “huh? Oh, American author…” they’re not as jarring as several I’ve seen, but they’re still there.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jul 11, 2014 |
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

There was nothing I disliked about this book, it just wasnt my cup of tea. I think the characters and premise were interesting. I just couldn't get into this book. Maybe the character was a little too young for my liking. I like more of a romance to my novels. It is just a preference. I havent gotten into the fantasy genre yet. Hopefully at some point Fantasy will interest me and when it does I will def. come back to this novel...
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,564,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible