Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville) by…

Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville) (edition 2007)

by Carrie Vaughn (Author)

Series: Kitty Norville (3)

After getting caught turning wolf on national television, Kitty retreats to a mountain cabin to recover and write her memoirs. But this is Kitty, so trouble is never far behind, and instead of Walden Pond, she gets Evil Dead. When werewolf hunter Cormac shows up with an injured Ben O'Farrell, Kitty's lawyer, slung over his shoulder, and a wolf-like creature with glowing red eyes starts sniffing around the cabin, Kitty wonders if any of them will get out of these woods alive.… (more)
Member:bkwrmcoll
Title:Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville)
Authors:Carrie Vaughn (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2007), 336 pages

Work Information

Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn

What I loved of this, I really loved. The lawyer bits drove me mad - I really can't stand court procedural - but they were well written, and well executed, so I guess I'll live. Seriously, subject matter I loathe, and I still enjoyed the book. That's hard to pull off. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
***WARNING: Spoiler!!!!*** ooooookay so this book totally messed up my favorite couple (kitty/cormac)...but I have to say that i don't hate kitty/ben at all...at the end of the book I even came to like them...so I wasn't too much disappointed with the book but still...only 161 pages...a pity that the plot which was good development was sort of cut short... ( )
  Lara-IT | Feb 3, 2021 |
I am still amazed by how good these books are. This is only the third in the series, but it’s the best yet. Kitty is continually pushed into growing into a more complex, more interesting character and is already so different than how she was in the first book. She’s a different sort of heroine than the one we typically see in a lot of paranormal romances; she seems much more vulnerable, which I really enjoy. I love a badass female main character, of course, but I also like that Vaughn changes it up and gives us a different type of heroine. Also, I live for how petty Kitty is in this book.

I like that we get to see more of side characters in this book, like Cormac and Ben. We learn so much more about them, so the cast of complex characters is growing in this series.

The unique cool thing in this book as opposed to the two previous ones is that we get to see more about different sorts of magics and beliefs. They deal with a different type of shapeshifter in this book, and I really enjoyed seeing how different cultures’ shapeshifting stories tied together.

This series still has me hooked! I can’t wait to read the next one.

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Nov 1, 2020 |
I love the Kitty Norville books but I HATE the covers. They are everything the books aren't: clichéd, wannabe-glamorous, vapidly sexual and totally unoriginal. If I wasn't reading the audiobook version, I'd have to add a "Don't judge me by my cover" sticker to the front. Why do the publisher's do this?

Sigh.

Underneath the cover is another good read in the Kitty Norville series about the werewolf host of "The Midnight Hour - the talk show that isn't afraid of the dark or the people who live there."

Except, in this novel, Kitty is taking a break from her show so she can write an autobiography, hence the "Kitty Takes A Holiday" title.

I like the way Carrie Vaughn adopts move titles for her books, it's inclusive some how, inviting the reader to a peer-to-peer relationship based on a common culture. Or that could be nonsense that I make up when my over-used brain takes time off to write book reviews.

Don't be mislead, this isn't a jolly jaunt to the seaside. Kitty's holiday starts off feeling like a self-imposed exile that isolates her from her fans and the energy and focus her show gives her.

Kitty is so bored by the countryside and so blocked in her writing that she ends up calling in to a newly established rival to "The Midnight Hour" and pretending to have a problem to discuss.

Then things get worse: curses, corpses, and a creature with glowing red eyes and very evil intentions.

"Kitty Takes A Holiday" is darker than it's predecessors. Humour is only an accent colour here, the main palette of the book is much more sombre: power and what you or who you are prepared to sacrifice to get it; hate and fear and how they blind you, and twist you and lessen you; Irredeemable, insatiable, life-destroying evil and the strength needed to confront it and the power of belief to change not just what we see but who we become.

There is more violence and death and this book and the consequences for everyone involved are more severe. Kitty learns more about why Cormac hunts and kills werewolves and has to consider whether she can endorse the violence he brings with him everywhere. Kitty also starts to understand that her public status as a werewolf makes her a target for those who fear her power or abhor her unnatural status.

I think Carrie Vaughn took a risk by having Kitty so depressed, disempowered and unsure of herself for large parts of this book but it more than paid off in terms of making Kitty into a more rounded person who understands her own nature and is finally able to choose her path rather than just react to the actions of others. ( )
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
Kitty needs to get away from it all after being broadcast on national news in mid-shift-to-Wolf. She stays in a cabin outside a small Colorado town. Her neighbors are not always welcoming, She's having a hard time focusing on writing the memoir she gave as an excuse for getting away.

And then Werewolf-hunter-and-kinda-friend Cormac, and his cousin Ben, lawyer to both of them, drop in unexpectedly. This is a slice of lycanthrope life kind of book - some bad guys, some good guys, some figuring out life and supernatural beings. Not turn-the-pages-past-midnight gripping, but a good story. 4 stars out of five.
  EowynA | Apr 16, 2020 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brammertz, UteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puckey,Donsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Andrea, Denise, April, Melissa, Kevin, and Tim, who were there at the start
She runs for the joy of it, because she can, her strides stretching to cover a dozen feet every time she leaps.
Please do not combine this standalone book with any omnibus editions that contain more than one novel.

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,971,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible