Outsider in the White House by Bernie…

Outsider in the White House (edition 2019)

by Bernie Senator Sanders (Author)

Is progressive politics possible in the United States today? Can a democratic socialist take on the two-party system to win a seat in Congress? Bernie Sanders is the first Independent elected to the United States House of Representatives in 40 years. Running primarily on class issues, he successfully put together a coalition of working people, the elderly, the poor, women and environmentalists. Once in Washington, Sanders helped found the House Progressive Caucus, the 52-member group that recently provided the major opposition to Newt Gingrich s reactionary Contract with America. Outsider in the House gives the inside scoop on Sanders s discussions about class politics with Bill Clinton in the Oval Office, his battles with the often Byzantine politics of the House floor and his encounters on the campaign trail in Vermont. It provides a penetrating critique both of a growing rightward movement in US politics and the failure of the two-party system to represent working people in America. Scrutinizing the battles on the Hill and across the nation over welfare reform, health care and NAFTA, Sanders lays bare the powerful forces which have produced the most inequitable distribution of wealth in American history. But he outlines, too, the positive role that Congress could play in protecting working Americans by introducing an Alternative Budget which would slash military spending and corporate welfare and use the savings to rebuild America s human and physical infrastructure. Here, in a passionate and personal voice, is the story of one man s battle against the chimerical choice presented by the Republicans and Democrats. Others must follow the path that Congressman Bernie Sanders has taken before US democracy can be revived. Outsider in the House is a compelling signpost for that most difficult of political journeys.… (more)
Member:MatthewAntipas
Title:Outsider in the White House
Authors:Bernie Senator Sanders (Author)
Info:Verso (2019), 416 pages

Work Information

Outsider in the White House by Bernie Sanders

First off, let me make it clear that I am a huge Bernie Sanders fan. I think he's the best politician we've had in my lifetime, possibly ever. So this review has nothing to do with my feelings with him as a presidential candidate.

I think had I read the original Outsider in the House back in 1997 when it was first written (had I been interested in politics back then, which I was not), I would have loved it. It's quite a good book. Unfortunately it's also the book I just read. This book is titled Outsider in the White House, and from the back cover and summary of the book it should be a book written last year about things happening now. But it is not. It is a new cover on the old book. As such it's outdated. Above all, it is frustrating how often the figures used are very clear to 20 years outdated. I am certain that most of the time if not all the time the figures will be even more astounding if they were updated, so he's hurting his arguments by keeping them in 1996 while not clarifying that he's doing so. And I can't help but think that the reason why is that no one bothered to give a fuck when this was re-published. As a major candidate for presidency of the United States, there's no excuse for them not to be able to find a writer to pick through this and update it and make it relevant. And if not, they had no right to release it as if it was written now, including use of the present tense throughout.

Discussion of a run for the presidency starts on page 340 of a grand total of 346 pages. They are very good pages. I just wish there had been more like 2-300 of them instead of six.

Again, I am a huge Bernie fan, and I will be voting for him in the primary, and hopefully in the election. I just wish this book were more timely.

Bernie gets 5 stars.
This book does not.
  theosakakoneko | Feb 15, 2020 |
Whether or not you feel the Bern, Outsider in the White House is worth reading. It takes a deep look into the political process and what goes into a campaign. Sanders addresses the issues facing the nation in 1996 and it's amazing how relevant the book still is because we are facing the same problems STILL (low voter turnout, big money influencing, etc...). The focus is on Bernie's career and the 1996 election for Vermont's House of Representative's seat. It flips back and forth from the current (current in 1996) campaign and his career leading up to that moment. If you don't care about his views but looking for a book about politics this works just fine just don't read the final 2 chapters where the bulk of his views are expressed. Sanders writes in a honest way and pokes fun of himself making this a very entertaining read. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
I read this biography to better understand presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. I learned that he has possessed many of the characteristics that draw me to him since early in his political career: his genuineness, consistency, determination, and how he speaks his mind without regard to popularity! It was confusing how the book kept jumping around among his different congressional campaigns, but I caught on after a while. The tone is light-hearted and not overly serious except for the last chapter and the afterword. A recommended read for all Bernie fans!! ( )
1 vote dewbertb | Feb 18, 2016 |
I rarely find an exact match for a book I have purchased. The data on this book does not completely match
the book I have in my library. For instance, I have only 346 pages. I do not know what other data does not match,.
  WallaceEWebb | Nov 25, 2015 |
Bernie Sanders is standing for the Presidency of the United States as an independent. He is thought to be a wildly left wing socialist by many in his own country, which says more about the state of the States, than the man. I thought that I perhaps should know a little more about Bernie, before opening my big mouth upon the subject of politics across the pond.

This book is very much a political biography; it contains the absolute minimum of personal detail. It was published in 1997 and recounts the experience of an independent taking on the behemoths of the Republican and Democratic parties at Congressional and Mayoral level. Sanders has faced just about every dirty trick that the dollar can aim at an American citizen. This might seem to be a subject for U.S. voters to consider whilst no business of a humble U.K. voter, however, the comparisons between the USA, 18 years ago, and Britain in the present day are stark.

President Reagan, along with his sidekick Margaret Thatcher, hatched the politics of 'No Society' - a phrase actually utter by Thatcher, but more rapidly instituted by America. The opposition, in the form of Bill Clinton, took the view of our own Tony Blair: namely, that one could not fight the right's onslaught and so, it was better to offer a watered down version. The result of this is to delay, but not derail a philosophy that points society firmly on a course back to middle ages serfdom for the many.

When I hear Labour politicians observe that Ed Miliband was defeated due to his arching socialist stand, then I fear for the NHS, education for the masses and any hope for society. Republicans were, and still assert that Sanders is tantamount to a Communist infiltrator: how long will it be before Michael Gove is conducting trials in which the main question begins, "Are you now, or have you ever been..."? ( )
  the.ken.petersen | May 10, 2015 |

Bernie Sandersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gutman, Hucksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nichols, JohnAfterwordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,487,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible