The Lincoln-Douglas Debates by Abraham…

The Lincoln-Douglas Debates

by Abraham Lincoln, Stephen A. Douglas, Abraham Lincoln

Introduced by Lincoln scholar Allen C. Guelzo, and presented unabridged, as they were originally spoken by the candidates, David Strathairn and Richard Dreyfuss narrate the seven legendary meetings between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas during their 1858 senatorial campaign in Illinois.

This is an audio book. It is very well read by the narrators, one of whom is Richard Dreyfus.

This rendition is quite revealing historically. I believe Lincoln came out not quite the hero we thought, and that Stephen Douglas not quite the bad guy as our teachers portrayed him.

The difficulty truly is that each man was playing to the audience, and a modern listener is not going to get the nuance of these debates such that we would understand how each man truly felt.

But the narration is so good and communicates character so well, that it merits an effort to either borrow or buy it (like on Audible.com).

Having said all that, the Quality of the debate between Lincoln and Douglas is one for the ages! ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
A lot of time is spent hashing and re-hashing the issues of the day, and bickering over things that seem down-right trivial today. But the core of the debate is well worth the lulls. Both men make strong arguments. The logic of Douglas’s arguments would find a lot of support today (and do in both the abortion and gay marriage debates). Because of that, Lincoln’s rejoinders are as important now as they were when he fought for abolitionism. ( )
  ebnelson | Jul 31, 2009 |
I really wanted to enjoy this book. This version is the complete unedited (or at least as close as possible) version of what both Lincoln and Douglas said. I expected the Gettysburg Address, instead, most of time was taken up attacking the opponent in a manner that modern-day politicians are all-too familiar with. ( )
  bherner | Oct 1, 2006 |
The Lincoln-Douglas debates are classic and important American history, and guess what -- our society is STILL debaing many of these issues today. ( )
  beau.p.laurence | Jul 24, 2006 |

Abraham Lincolnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Douglas, Stephen A.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Lincoln, Abrahammain authorall editionsconfirmed
Angle, Paul M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holzer, HaroldEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,927,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible