Flight of Dreams by Ariel Lawhon

Flight of Dreams (2016)

by Ariel Lawhon

I love how the author incorporated true facts to the people in this story- who were real. It is an interesting concept of what she had to written as to what potentially happened to cause the Hindenburg to start on fire. I love how she also had various storylines so you could see different perspectives and different areas of the Hindenburg. Looking forward to more of her books. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Wow, this book was fantastic! Ariel Lawhon made the flight of the Hindenburg come to life. She creates the book like a kaleidoscope, with the pages shifting between characters to form a complete picture of the journey: the cabin boy, the navigator, the american, the stewardess, the journalist. By doing this, you see the different facets of the story: betrayal, curiosity, a desire for revenge, heartbreak, love, and the innocence of youth. As the Hindenburg flies ever closer to New Jersey and disaster, the characters come to life. And when one character does the unthinkable in a giant balloon filled with hydrogen, each character will have to fight for their lives. At times heartbreaking, this fictional account of the Hindenburg disaster shows heart, strength of will, courage, vengeance, and fear of the ever encroaching Nazi regime. Lawhon stays true to the people who were aboard the Hindenburg on that fateful journey: those who did not survive didn't survive in the fictional account either, and those who did survive, survived the fictional account as well. She makes each character human, and she does a wonderful job of developing a story as to why the massive zeppelin caught fire. I highly recommend this book! ( )
  Bookseiffel | Feb 23, 2018 |
Maybe alternate history is not a correct tag, but no one knows.....
A serial/soap opera, in the best sense. The first book in a while (I'll look back to compare) that I had to force myself to stop reading so I could get work/school/life done. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
When writing about history, the human details sometimes get lost in the facts and statistics. We know the Hindenburg exploded. We know it took 34 seconds to burn. We know that 13 passengers died, along with 22 crew members and one grounds crewman. But author Ariel Lawhon takes the facts a step further, putting faces and personalities on the people aboard the airship. We learn about about their fears of the future, their hopes and dreams, their ambitions and squabbles. The world she creates is an atmosphere rife with tension. And the scenario she paints that ends in total destruction is a plausible one. Well thought-out and well plotted, this novel is an intriguing account of what could have happened in those three short days, and a touching tale of human failings. ( )
  Maydacat | Aug 21, 2017 |
I have always been fascinated by the disaster of the German passenger airship, the Hindenburg, that exploded over Lakehurst, New Jersey on May 6, 1937. The Hindenburg was Nazi Germany’s showpiece of air travel, was destroyed in half a minute. Of the 97 people on board, 35 died.

The author helps us experience the journey from the several perspectives. We have alternating chapters from the Stewardess, the Journalist, the Navigator, the American, and the Cabin Boy and each chapter begins with a running countdown of how much time is left before the explosion. I thought the author did a great job of maintaining suspense in a story where you already know what happens. Even after the Hindenburg explodes, the suspense continues, because you want to know if your favorite characters are among the survivors.

An inquiry attributed the fire to a discharge of atmospheric electricity in the vicinity of a hydrogen gas leak in the ship, but over the years various theories have pointed to sabotage. Ariel Lawhorn weaves together a great plot revolving around that theory. It wasn't my favorite historical fiction book of the year but I enjoyed it very much and might try to find the 1975 film and watch that again. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly be broken.

------- C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves
For my husband, Ashley, who has taught me the meaning of sacrificial love.

Also for Marybeth. We're even now.

And in loving memory of my grandmother, Mary Ellen Storrs. I never thought to ask her if she remembered the Hindenburg until it was too late.

On the evening of May 3, 1937, Emilie Imhof boards the Hindenburg. As the only female crewmember, Emilie has access to the entire airship, from the lavish dining rooms and passenger suites to the gritty engine cars and control room. She hears everything, but with rumors circulating about bomb threats, Emilie's focus is on maintaining a professional air . . . and keeping her own plans under wraps.
     What Emilie can't see is that everyone—from the dynamic vaudeville acrobat to the high-standing German officer—seems to be hiding something.
     With enthralling atmospheric details that immediately transport and spellbinding plotting that would make Agatha Christie proud, Flight of Dreams will keep you guessing till the last page. And, as The New York Times Book Review said of her last novel, "This book is more meticulously choreographed than a chorus line. It all pays off."

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 16 Aug 2015 16:45:33 -0400)

With everyone onboard harboring dark secrets and at least one person determined to make sure the airship doesn't make the return trip, Flight of Dreams gives an utterly suspenseful, heart-wrenching explanation for one of the most enduring mysteries of the twentieth century. On the evening of May 3, 1937, Emilie Imhof boards the Hindenburg. As the only female crewmember, Emilie has access to the entire airship, from the lavish dining rooms and passenger suites to the gritty engine cars and control room. She hears everything, but with rumors circulating about bomb threats, Emilie's focus is on maintaining a professional air ... and keeping her own plans under wraps. What Emilie can't see is that everyone from the dynamic vaudeville acrobat to the high-standing German officer seems to be hiding something. Giving free rein to countless theories of sabotage, charade, and mishap, Flight of Dreams takes us on the thrilling three-day transatlantic flight through the alternating perspectives of Emilie; Max, the ship's navigator who is sweet on her; Gertrud, a bold female journalist who's been blacklisted in her native Germany; Werner, a thirteen-year-old cabin boy with a bad habit of sneaking up on people; and a brash American who's never without a drink in his hand. Everyone knows more than they initially let on, and as the novel moves inexorably toward its tragic climax, the question of which of the passengers will survive the trip infuses every scene with a deliciously unbearable tension. With enthralling atmospheric details that immediately transport and spellbinding plotting that would make Agatha Christie proud, Flight of Dreams will keep you guessing till the last page. And, as The New York Times Book Review said of her last novel, This book is more meticulously choreographed than a chorus line. It all pays off.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,023,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible