HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans

The Christmas Box (original 1993; edition 1995)

by Richard Paul Evans (Author)

"Whatever the reason, I find that with each passing Christmas the story of the Christmas box is told less and needed more. So I record it now for all future generations to accept or dismiss, as seems them good. As for me, I believe. And it is, after all, my story." So begins The Christmas Box, the touching story of a widow and the young family who moves in with her. Together they discover the first gift of Christmas and learn what Christmas is really about. The Christmas Box is a Christmas story unlike any other.… (more)
Member:cordled
Title:The Christmas Box
Authors:Richard Paul Evans (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (1995), Edition: 1st, 128 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Work Information

The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans (1993)

I gave this little book to my mother for Christmas. I hadn't read (or heard of) it before, but saw it at the library's book sale. My mother has read Little Dick's Christmas (by Etheldred B. Barry, 1903) almost every year since she was a child and I was hoping (and I was right!) that she would enjoy this new book as another quiet, heartfelt and touching Christmas story. Although it could never replace adorable little Dick, we agreed that the Christian message in The Christmas Box was especially worthy and inspiring--and something that Little Dick's Christmas lacked, although sharing a general message of love and family.

I acknowledge that some readers might object to this book as a sentimental tear-jerker, but personally, I did not feel that it was overly sentimental. (I've read much more sentimental stuff I guess is what I'm saying). The characters were interesting, realistic, and relatively well fleshed out for the book's length. The plot was well-structured and the writing was pretty good.

Of course, other readers will object to this book on religious grounds. This is to be expected, as the book does not apologize for its biblical view of Christmas. If you are not a Christian, the conclusion will probably seem ridiculous and disappointing, unless you regard it in merely symbolic terms. I imagine some Christians might object to the specific theology in the book, including certain views about angels, Unlimited Atonement, or object to the fact that the author was a Mormon (which honestly isn't evident in the story itself), or wish that the author had gone farther in his exposition of the gospel. Perhaps the best thing about its theology, in my opinion, is that the author does not give us too much, but lets the story be enjoyed by all kinds of believers and denominations, focusing on the essential elements that unify us.

One thing that somewhat intrigued and bothered me about the book was its use of the author's real family's names, while simultaneously claiming to be a work of fiction. I wasn't sure how to interpret this, but mostly it just distracted me from the story as I wondered how much of it was fiction and which parts weren't--e.g. Was the kind widow completely made up? Or were only her name and certain characteristics changed?

Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone at Christmastime who would like to enjoy an uplifting story and wants to be reminded of what truly matters. I definitely recommend it as a read-aloud. Next Christmas, when I read this again, we'll see how my opinion has changed. I'm actually glad I didn't know this book had been so popular, because if I had known, I never would've given it a chance, which tells you more about me than the book.

JMigotsky | Jan 27, 2023 |
Mother has two almost identical copies.
  RobertStrelow | Jun 22, 2022 |
Short book,,read in a couple of hours,,a bit sappy, but sweet. Guess I'll start on the second in the series. Not as short, tho. ( )
  patsyjean | Feb 26, 2022 |
The Christmas Box is the touching story of a widow and the young family who moves in with her. Together they discover the first gift of Christmas and learn what Christmas is really about. ( )
  Gmomaj | Feb 23, 2022 |
A tender, loving story of the first gift of Christmas.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 26, 2021 |
No little girl could stop the world to wait for me. -Natalie Merchant
For my sister Sue. Whom I love and I miss.
It may be that I am growing old in this world and have used up more than my share of allotted world and eager audiences.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,980,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible