Jubilee Year: A Novel (Erelong Book 1) by…

Jubilee Year: A Novel (Erelong Book 1)

by Gerard O'Neill

As other reviewers have noted, this story starts off slowly but once it picks up speed, it's a fast-pace rollercoaster ride. I admit to skimming large sections at the beginning, which I hate doing, but I'm not fond of extraneous dialogue (your preferences may vary, of course). Hidden amongst these sequences are sneak-peaks of the greater world and hints at what is to come, which were intriguing and unsettling in a too-close-for-comfort kind of way. Real-world conspiracy theories and current events are seamlessly integrated into the story in a way that slowly builds to the final reveal. I was a bit dubious about the science/world-building at first but O'Neill does a good job of preparing the reader, revealing and obfuscating equally, until bam! It all hits the fan. Overall it was a fun ride and I enjoyed reading Jubilee Year. It leaves many questions unanswered, so the next installment should be very interesting.

Summary: Recommended for sci-fi and astronomy geeks.

Disclaimer: I received this book in via LibraryThing in exchange for a fair review. ( )
  SukiSu | Jun 10, 2017 |
This wasn’t an easy book to read. Part of the reason is preference; depressing apocalyptic novels are not my favorite genre. The other part was unengaging writing. The story plodded along with the main character being manipulated by others and just reacting to events.

The last part that detracted from the story were the numerous sentences with grammatical errors. Since the book is self-published, I suspect that the author did his own proof reading. From experience, I know that It is difficult to proof read your own work. Your mind fills in missing words and understands what you meant to say even though, on paper, it is not explicit. Unfortunately, these errors were disrupting forcing me to reread the errored sentence several times to make sure that I did not misread it.

Character development was spotty. Some characters were somewhat developed like Penny. However, never explained is why she was so enwrapped with Storm. The 4-year difference in age between her at 22 and Storm at 18 is huge at that stage in a person’s life. Others, like Allister, were not developed at all. Who was he and what is his background? What led him to become a socialist and why did he drop everything to drive the main character home, a person he barely knew a one distance of 12 hours. Arnold was not developed until the end of the book. An epilog was added at the end of the book with the specific purpose of his development. And, who was Martyn, the prescient 7-foot giant? Perhaps his development will be in the next book in the series. Based on character development in book one, Jubilee Year, I’m not confident that will happen. ( )
  ronploude | May 23, 2017 |
This is the first book in his Erelong Series. I hate to admit it but I had difficulty getting into this one. The premise was something I usually get into, apocalyptic futures, but I had to start the book over at least three times before I remembered enough of the characters and story to continue. Definitely not a good omen. The writing seemed stuttered, broken, like those long ago telegrams with the word stop added after every sentence.

The story was compelling enough; it's a natural disaster apocalypse made worse by a corrupt government. But I couldn't get past the writing to really get into it or make any sort of connection with the characters. I kept feeling like I was being jerked around like when riding without a seatbelt on a bumpy road. It's a shame really because I could see hints of how good it could be. ( )
  BekahMorel | Apr 8, 2017 |
Interesting story. Good plot. This story falls down on the minor characters, especially the soldiers at the end of the story. I had great difficulty remembering who was who. Some were killed as well and I had no idea who they were. The story had a slow start. I would've liked to have seen more action or a faster pace. Also the story seemed to keep jumping. I became confused as to the timeline. But the story made the all the other problems go away. Great story. Needs a little work though. ( )
  somethingblanc | Mar 4, 2017 |
Available Kindle Unlimited tho since didn't get it that way, either one of my free books sites or maybe a free hope you review it copy ah librarything, but either way I review everything I get around to reading which can be up to 10 or more a day plus have ku. Might be a bit biased about the story line, because it reminds me of the twin Keck telescopes in Hawaii which between interest in that and sharing the name {all that have that last name are related in some way} thought it was quite an interesting story, which probably wouldn't have gotten around to reading as fast if had just been listed under YA or dystopian but quite an interesting story nonetheless. ( )
  Key_Largo | Jan 23, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Gerard O'Neill's book Jubilee Year: A Novel (Erelong Trilogy, Book 2) is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,318,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible