dismiss

The Lightning-Struck Heart

by TJ Klune

Series: Tales from Verania (1)

Once upon a time, in an alleyway in the slums of the City Of Lockes, a young and somewhat lonely boy named Sam Haversford turns a group of teenage douchebags into stone completely by accident. Of course, this catches the attention of a higher power, and Sam's pulled from the only world he knows to become an apprentice to the King's Wizard, Morgan of Shadows. When Sam's fourteen, he enters the Dark Woods and returns with Gary, the hornless gay unicorn, and a half-giant named Tiggy, earning the moniker Sam of Wilds. At fifteen, Sam learns what love truly is when a new knight arrives at the castleâKnight Ryan Foxheart, the dreamiest dream to have ever been dreamed. Naturally, it all goes to hell when Ryan dates the reprehensible Prince Justin, Sam can't control his magic, a sexually aggressive dragon kidnaps the prince, and the King sends them on an epic quest to save Ryan's boyfriend, all while Sam falls more in love with someone he can never have. Or so he thinks.… (more)

Dashing and immaculate. Awesome. I need to fucking awkward hug this book.

No really, it was a ton of fun in both audio and written. There's something about a fantasy world like this, anything can happen. Anything is real... And I loved the 20 year old angst. I just did. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard. This book was incredible and ranks among my faves. The story is solid, world building developed, angst/drama balanced, characters full and thought out. And the guy who narrates it is just golden. ( )
  shobbs88 | Apr 15, 2020 |
This was the rudest thing I have ever read. ( )
  bibliovermis | Mar 3, 2020 |
3.5/5 Very funny and cute and a little overly long. ( )
  doctorsidrat | Dec 9, 2018 |
5 stars are not nearly enough.

I suspect this book might just be perfect. At least it was to me, at the time I read it, because it was EXACTLY what I needed. The Lightning-Struck Heart can claim the distinction of singlehandedly, and in a matter of 24 hours, shaking me out of a week-long deep, deep funk. I laughed, I cried, I dared not skim through any passages for fear of missing a sassy remark that couched an expression of undying love and proof of made-for-each-other'dness.

The characters were BRILLIANT. Ryan, Verania's own Sir Launcelot, is the perfect foil for Sam, a lovely, strong, noble and babbling wizard--correction: wizard's apprentice--with absolutely no brain to mouth filter. Gary and Tiggy were so so endearing. Kevin was so horny, so eloquent and so sweet. Sam's parents, Morgan, Randall, the King and Justin were all memorable tertiary characters. There's just so much affection in this book. It bleeds off every page and yet never overwhelms.

WOW. Just WOW. I'm glad that there are 3 more books in this series. I'm off to bulk-purchase them right now.

Loud applause. Highly recommended. ( )
2 vote Gaia_Sol | Sep 1, 2018 |

TJ Kluneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lesley, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,654,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible