The Lightning-Struck Heart by TJ Klune

The Lightning-Struck Heart

by TJ Klune

Series: Tales from Verania (1)

2015 (2) 2016 (2) 2017 (2) adult fantasy (2) adventure (2) audiobook (4) books I own (2) comedy (2) dragons (2) ebook (4) fantasy (19) fantasy romance (2) fiction (6) gay (8) gay author (2) genre-fantasy (2) humor (5) Kindle (7) lgbt (5) LGBTQ (2) m/m (4) magic (7) male protagonist (2) mm (2) queer (2) romance (4) Tales From Verania (2) to-read (10) Twinks (2) wizards (4)

5 stars are not nearly enough.

I suspect this book might just be perfect. At least it was to me, at the time I read it, because it was EXACTLY what I needed. The Lightning-Struck Heart can claim the distinction of singlehandedly, and in a matter of 24 hours, shaking me out of a week-long deep, deep funk. I laughed, I cried, I dared not skim through any passages for fear of missing a sassy remark that couched an expression of undying love and proof of made-for-each-other'dness.

The characters were BRILLIANT. Ryan, Verania's own Sir Launcelot, is the perfect foil for Sam, a lovely, strong, noble and babbling wizard--correction: wizard's apprentice--with absolutely no brain to mouth filter. Gary and Tiggy were so so endearing. Kevin was so horny, so eloquent and so sweet. Sam's parents, Morgan, Randall, the King and Justin were all memorable tertiary characters. There's just so much affection in this book. It bleeds off every page and yet never overwhelms.

WOW. Just WOW. I'm glad that there are 3 more books in this series. I'm off to bulk-purchase them right now.

Loud applause. Highly recommended. ( )
  Gaia_Sol | Sep 1, 2018 |
I had an awesome time listening to this book - the characters were so much fun! It was ridiculous, over the top, and kind of half-serious/half-parody fantasy, and usually I'm not a fan of that kind of humor, but in this case I enjoyed the heck out of it. I listened to it mostly in public, and I can't count the number of times I burst out laughing in the middle of a crowd. I'm getting used to the weird looks.

That said, I don't think I would have liked it so much had I just read the book, or had the narrator not been Michael Lesley.

I used to think I'm not a fan of TJ Klune. I could read his books when the right mood struck, but 95% of the time it was too much angst or too OTT for me - but this year I discovered I love his books when I listen to them. I can say with certainty that had I read this book, I would have probably DNFed it, so I'm really glad I chose to listen to it instead.

And Michael Lesley - that man is a narration god! I don't think I've ever listened to a better overall narration. Granted, my experience with audiobooks is humble, but judging by all the other audio reviews, the awesomeness of this narration is pretty much a fact. ( )
1 vote NannyOgg13 | May 26, 2018 |
I read along with the kindle edition while listening to the audiobook, and I don't often say this, but the buying audiobook is the best decision I ever made! Nothing against audiobooks; I love them and listen to them often, but this was hands-down the best performance I've heard in a long time!

Sam is utterly adorable and has a knack for drawing people to him. He also has a knack for falling into danger. It seems that everyone wants to capture, kill, and/or have sex with him. Lucky for Sam he and his companions are very cunning and always manage to escape danger. It's usually the escapes that cause future danger.

It's really hard to explain the story without giving the whole thing a way. There is magic, romantic pining, oblivious boys in love, jealous princes, fairy drag mothers, fairies, dragons, dark wizards, kidnappings, quests, and so many inappropriate sex puns. The story was fun and funny; it was the humor that carried it really. It was campy and I LOOOVES me some camp.

The cons are that the entire story is in first person. I HATE first person stories (although it kinda worked for this one,) and the audio didn't always match up with the written story. There were words and sometimes entire sentences added or omitted in places. And this story was really, really, dialog heavy. Heavy even for me, because I love good dialog. But all-in-all it was a fun read/listen and I am definitely looking forward to the next in the series.

I highly recommend this if you looking for something fun and a bit silly, with the odd sad/dramatic spot. ( )
  Virago77 | Mar 8, 2018 |

This is the tale of Sam of Wilds and his (many) not-so-excellent adventures. Usually along for the shenanigans are his best friends, Gary the sassy, gay, hornless unicorn, and Tiggy the half-giant who will happily smash anyone who attempts to hurt Gary or Sam. Sam is a kid from the slums who unexpectedly comes into his magic and is then tapped by the king's wizard, Morgan to be his apprentice. Sam and his parents go to live in the palace, while never forgetting where they came from and go back to visit and help the people of the slums as often as they can.

Virago77 | Mar 8, 2018 |
"My heart boner is getting chubbed-up again. "

The kitsch is cranked up way too high. I love goofy stuff, but I'm getting so impatient to read something better, I'm doing a first for me. I'm gonna DNF this novel at 90%. ( )
  josh513 | Feb 3, 2018 |

TJ Kluneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lesley, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 163476367X, Paperback)

Once upon a time, in an alleyway in the slums of the City Of Lockes, a young and somewhat lonely boy named Sam Haversford turns a group of teenage douchebags into stone completely by accident.

Of course, this catches the attention of a higher power, and Sam’s pulled from the only world he knows to become an apprentice to the King's Wizard, Morgan of Shadows.

When Sam’s fourteen, he enters the Dark Woods and returns with Gary, the hornless gay unicorn, and a half-giant named Tiggy, earning the moniker Sam of Wilds.

At fifteen, Sam learns what love truly is when a new knight arrives at the castle―Knight Ryan Foxheart, the dreamiest dream to have ever been dreamed.

Naturally, it all goes to hell when Ryan dates the reprehensible Prince Justin, Sam can't control his magic, a sexually aggressive dragon kidnaps the prince, and the King sends them on an epic quest to save Ryan's boyfriend, all while Sam falls more in love with someone he can never have.

Or so he thinks.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 22 Aug 2015 09:55:02 -0400)

Can the young wizard, Sam, survive an epic quest, save the prince, and win the heart of the dreamy Knight Ryan Foxheart?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,981,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible