Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song by…

Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song (edition 2015)

by Sara Bareilles (Author)

Member:jasonbraganza
Title:Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song
Authors:Sara Bareilles (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2015), 208 pages

Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song by Sara Bareilles

For fans of Sara. If you want to know, how Sara became Sara.
Each chapter starts with her singing short snippets. (I’m listening to the audiobook)
She keeps hollering and yodelling and making voices and giving shout outs and makes crazy, self deprecating jokes.
(“I also learned, that I was not a true soprano, no matter how hard I clenched my butt cheeks”)
Short, tight, concise, wonderful! ( )
  jasonbraganza | Mar 21, 2017 |
Short and sweet. I really enjoyed the audio book as Bareilles is a great reader and she sang the snippets of the songs at the beginning of each chapter. ( )
  Bodagirl | Nov 26, 2016 |
I HIGHLY recommend this book for anyone who likes Sara Bareilles' music. Great read! ( )
  KatKealy | Mar 7, 2016 |
What an amazing, personal story from Sara Bareilles (with the added touch of her singing on the audio version)! After hearing how much she has grown in order to become the person she is today, her life lessons could be helpful to many, not just for singers/performers.

She seems so grounded for all that she has achieved and presents her essays and personal stories in a fun, but also touching way. ( )
  Carrie88 | Dec 30, 2015 |
5 time Grammy-nominated singer and songwriter Sara Bareilles' story plays out (pun intended) "beautiful"ly. The adjective (beautiful) is used so many times. Literally, there's an entire chapter called "Beautiful Girl" where she writes letters to her younger self reminding her repeatedly that she is beautiful, life is beautiful, people are beautiful, etc.
What was "beautiful" was finding out how she got to where she is now and who helped her along the way. Her self-esteem took a hit at a young age where she was labeled the "fat kid" and music helped pulled her out of the pit of self-doubt. Particularly with musical theatre, which led her to write a musical recently. The journey of her finding bravery and beauty was full of ups and downs but it's the people around her that help keep her going. Her writing is humorous and light-hearted even in the downs of her life.
3/5 stars for this book, mainly because of the overuse of the word "beautiful", the phrase "I liked him/her instantly", and that whole "Beautiful Girl" chapter. Some of it seemed like an autobiography and some of it seemed like journal entries. In the introduction alone she talks about how she didn't want to do this book so much that she wrote a musical and pushed this book off.

Please note: a copy of this book was generously provided by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  JanJanFreeman | Nov 3, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,414,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible