The Methuselah Project: A Novel by Rick…

The Methuselah Project: A Novel (edition 2015)

by Rick Barry (Author)

"Roger Greene is a war hero... Flying against the Axis Powers in World War II is everything he always dreamed--until the day he's shot down and lands in the hands of the enemy. When Allied bombs destroy both his prison and the mad genius experimenting on POWs, Roger survives. Within hours, his wounds miraculously heal, thanks to those experiments... Seventy years later, Roger hasn't aged a day, but he has nearly gone insane...The Bible provides the only reliable anchor for Roger's sanity and his soul... Katherine Mueller--crack shot, genius, and real Southern Belle--offers to help him find his way home. Can he convince her of the truth of his crazy story? Can he continue to trust her when he finds out she works for the very organization he's trying to flee?"--… (more)
Member:grammy57
Title:The Methuselah Project: A Novel
Authors:Rick Barry (Author)
Info:Kregel Publications (2015), 320 pages
Rating:*****

The Methuselah Project: A Novel by Rick Barry

What a great read! This book is a blend of WWII history and modern-day Atlanta, Georgia. What's really funny is that I had this book on my Kindle and had started reading this book in the hotel room at night during my vacation to Atlanta, Georgia. Talk about perfect timing! So I was vaguely familiar with some of the landmarks of Atlanta mentioned in the book (ex. The Varsity).

Rick Barry has done an incredible amount of research here. He presents us with Roger Greene, a WWII pilot, who becomes a POW after his plane went down in German territory. Rather than being taken to a typical POW camp, he and six other POWS have been selected for a very important science project, one that may preserve "the Aryan race."

Another character, Katherine Mueller, is weaved into the story (modern-day Atlanta) as she struggles to please her uncle while trying to remain true to herself.

An excellent read that keeps you turning the pages.

caslater83 | Aug 4, 2016 |
The Methuselah Project is a fascinating novel that faces the question of what might have happened if Germany had won World War II. At least, that is what protagonist Roger Greene faces as he lives in isolation as a POW for seventy years after World War II, fed lies and false news stories about Germany’s success in achieving world domination.

This is a unique story. What would the world look like if Nazi Germany had succeeded under Hitler? It is an interesting question that this book explores in various ways. When Green finally does escape from his isolation, he must learn to cope in the modern world a reality that provides an interesting commentary on today’s society. His rescuer, secret society member Katherine Mueller, is a sharp and thoughtful woman who strives to do what is right, even when that means standing against the society that raised her.

My one complaint was that the characters sometimes seemed a little one-dimensional. I wish Barry had spent more time developing the characters and letting the reader get to know them. This aside, however, it is still a worthwhile and interesting read.

I received this book from bookfun.org in exchange for an honest review.

This review was posted to Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Goodreads, CBD, Deeper Shopping, and Library Thing (if available). ( )
  LoverOfStory | Jul 19, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Incredible but plausible WWII novel draws you right in
A "what if" story that spreads its wings and soars. I found this novel to be absolutely fascinating. There is so much history, plausible or not, built into this book. So much to ponder. As a child myself during WWII, my interest deepened throughout. Growing up, I learned as others did, that there were many secrets, experiments, agendas, so to me, this book did have an abundance of historic fact, fiction, what-if.... Yes. What if Roger Greene had not crashed in his plane and lived only to be captured? What if German scientists had discovered a way to appease Hitler's plan for the Thousand Year Reich? What if one experiment actually worked? Herein lies the mystery, the complexity of the story.

The author, Rick Barry, has given us a full-blown history of one man's fight to return home to Indiana. This history is decades in the making. In the beginning there were seven, Roger was Number 7. When the lab is demolished by heavy bombardment only Roger remains alive among the seven captives. What does this mean? Will he be rescued? One of his captors, indeed the scientist himself, eventually loosens up enough to provide the airman with reading material which included a Bible. His world opening up and giving him hope through many different writings provides enough to keep him sane, but for how long?

This is an adventure story unlike others. No dashing around, he is in a cage. But he has plans, and God on his side. And he is exactly the same in appearance as he was 70 years ago when he was captured. He is not even aware that the war is long over. On the other hand, is it really over for him? The opportunity he has been waiting for suddenly arises and Yes! he is free, at least he may be free, if he can just get out of Germany and to the US, but will anyone believe his story? This story has everything a person could want. A mix of everything: sci fi, romance, war, history, humanity, inhumanity, excitement, adventure, a book that will keep you reading as the world takes him through changes, terror, and more. A wonderful, entertaining and thought-provoking book with a surprise ending.
I won this book in a draw from LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. This book blew my mind! ( )
  readerbynight | Apr 3, 2016 |
The Methuselah Project, by Rick Barry, tells the story of what happens to Captain Roger Greene while on a mission in Germany in 1943, after he is captured and imprisoned. Instead of going to a POW camp, he becomes the victim of a lab experiment which yields unusual results. Even after a seventy year imprisonment, he looks the same as the day he was captured and his body is capable of remarkable healing processes. He eventually escapes, but his story does not end there. Help comes from an unexpected source with surprising results.

This is an exceptionally well written book. It is exciting, captivating and filled with intrigue and surprises. Highly recommended.

I received this book free of charge through LibraryThing Member Giveaways and I give this review of my own free will. ( )
1 vote SAMANTHA100 | Dec 16, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
All Captain Roger Greene wanted was to be able to fly. So much so that he joined the Fourth Fighter Group of the Eighth Army Air Force of England to serve in World War II.

Shot down after saving his wingman, Greene found himself captured by the Nazis. However, he was not taken to a POW camp but to a secluded facility.

A crazy (?) professor has collected seven unwilling participants to test his theory. He preforms an experiment on the seven to try and "unlock one of the deepest riddles concerning biological regeneration and molecular configuration as the pertain to the cells of the human body" (taken from page 41) Did he succeed?

Good book. It got me to cry a little at the end, and the doesn't usually happen. I had forgotten how much I like Christian Fiction. ( )
1 vote lostinmyownlibrary | Nov 30, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rick Barry's book The Methuselah Project was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Rick Barry's book The Methuselah Project was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Rick Barry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,311,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible