Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max…

Grief is the Thing with Feathers (2015)

by Max Porter

English (34)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (39)
Read great reviews on this book and I have found healing through many books related to grief, but this one just did not do it for me. I probably need to discuss it with someone. I felt like I was missing something. Maybe the metaphors were just out of my reach... ( )
  carolfoisset | Jun 25, 2018 |
This was fine, but also dull. The crow worked as a metaphor for grief, but there didn't seem to be a lot else to the book. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
I really didn't get this at all. Maybe this thing is riddled with symbolism and hidden messages which, honestly, were way over my head. I knew from the title and from the very first few pages that it's about dealing with grief--the dad and the two sons, twins, have just lost the mother/woman of the house and their were grieving over it,the dad more so than the two sons, who were both dealing with their grief in their own way, but were also trying their best not to be something of an added burden (my limited vocabulary couldn't provide any better word) to their father. Then here comes this giant crow whose made himself at home with the family of less one person. The crow was crass, a bit of a narcissist, sarcastic, and definitely has a fondness for violence and gore when given the chance for it.

I wasn't really a fan of the form,written in verse and sometimes, a varied format presented through the careful manipulation of words and phrases in lines and stanzas. I also wasn't much of a fan of the author's writing nor poetic style. I found it severely lacking in trying to achieve an ''effect'' in using this format and theme.

The only bit of the whole book I liked was the part about demon who fed on grief who visited the family, though 'visited' isn't exactly the current word as it never really went past the front door. That part read very much like a fairy tale (without a fairy) and that's the only reason I liked it. ( )
  aalyssa0714 | Jan 30, 2018 |
Beautiful and poetic. I was really surprised by this one. It was moving and wildly creative. About life, loss and the memory of those things. ( )
  ctkjs | Jan 3, 2018 |
Writing in the shadow of Ted Hughes is a brave act in itself. Writing in the combined shadows of both Ted Hughes and Crow, on a theme that inevitably amplifies echoes of Sylvia Plath for good measure, is literary bravery of the highest order. Max Porter pulls it off to a creditable degree, and part of the reason for that is the form that the novel takes. The structural and stylistic approach is light, even when the content is heavily laden. The result is a very good read with barely a word out of place ... but the explicit presence of the Hughes manifestation of Crow gives it baggage that just weighs it down that touch too much for me. ( )
  Kanikoski | Aug 20, 2017 |
Grief Is the Thing with Feathers is heartrending, blackly funny, deeply resonant, a perfect summation of what it means to lose someone but still to love the world – and if it reminds publishers that the best books aren’t always the ones that can be pigeonholed or precis-ed or neatly packaged, so much the better.
added by 2wonderY | editThe Guardian, Sarah Crown (Sep 12, 2015)

Max Porterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crow, EleanorCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piraccini, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
That Love crow is all there is,
Is all we know of Love crow;
It is enough, the freight crow should be
Proportioned to the groove crow.
   Emily Dickinson
For Roly
There's a feather on my pillow.
She was not busy dying, and there is no detritus of care, she was simply busy living, and then she was gone.

In a London flat, two young boys face the unbearable sadness of their mother's sudden death. Their father, a Ted Hughes scholar and scruffy romantic, imagines a future of well-meaning visitors and emptiness. In this moment of despair they are visited by Crow - antagonist, trickster, healer, babysitter. This sentimental bird is drawn to the grieving family and threatens to stay until they no longer need him. As weeks turn to months and the pain of loss gives way to memories, the little unit of three starts to heal. In this extraordinary debut - part novella, part polyphonic fable, part essay on grief - Max Porter's compassion and bravura style combine to dazzling effect. Full of unexpected humour and profound emotional truth, Grief Is the Thing with Feathers marks the arrival of a thrilling new talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 26 Aug 2015 05:30:35 -0400)

In a London flat, two young boys face the unbearable sadness of their mother's sudden death. Their father, a Ted Hughes scholar and scruffy romantic, imagines a future of well-meaning visitors and emptiness. In this moment of despair they are visited by Crow-- antagonist, trickster, healer, babysitter. This sentimental bird is drawn to the grieving family and threatens to stay until they no longer need him. As weeks turn to months and the pain of loss gives way to memories, the little unit of three starts to heal. In this extraordinary debut-- part novella, part polyphonic fable, part essay on grief-- Max Porter's compassion and bravura style combine to dazzling effect. Full of unexpected humour and profound emotional truth, 'Grief Is the Thing with Feathers' marks the arrival of a thrilling new talent.--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible