Binti (2015)

by Nnedi Okorafor

Series: Binti (1)

Her name is Binti, and she is the first of the Himba people ever to be offered a place at Oomza University, the finest institution of higher learning in the galaxy. But to accept the offer will mean giving up her place in her family to travel between the stars among strangers who do not share her ways or respect her customs. Knowledge comes at a cost, one that Binti is willing to pay, but her journey will not be easy. The world she seeks to enter has long warred with the Meduse, an alien race that has become the stuff of nightmares. Oomza University has wronged the Meduse, and Binti's stellar travel will bring her within their deadly reach. If Binti hopes to survive the legacy of a war not of her making, she will need both the gifts of her people and the wisdom enshrined within the University, itself--but first she has to make it there, alive.… (more)
Recently added bynicosilver, private library, Jamitha, Dzaowan, GDBrown, CamilleGuezennec, Barlycorn, Hellblazer

English (231)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (234)
The genre of this novella is called Afrofuturist. I loved the Afro part, but the sci-fi aspect is just not my thing. Nevertheless, the story was well written and highly imaginative. ( )
  bschweiger | Feb 4, 2024 |
I liked this Space story of jellyfish and humans coming together in peace. I would have liked it to be longer. ( )
  mslibrarynerd | Jan 13, 2024 |
A funny little book. It has lots of genuinely original ideas inartfully lumped together. I like the way it cuts through the bullshit, and how it extrapolates from indigenous Namibian culture adapted to a space age, and the living fish-spacecraft, and the way math is treated like art or even magic. It's the sloppy presentation I don't care for. ( )
  ethorwitz | Jan 3, 2024 |
Charming short story. The main character is gutsy, and the story combines unexplained artefacts, aliens, and weird magic-like science. ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 2, 2024 |
This novella featuring a girl from a reclusive, homebound people leaving home to accept a place at an intergalactic university has a sympathetic, unique main character and great world building. The novella format, though, seems to leave a little to be desired. The conflict seemed to resolve altogether too easily. ( )
  yourotherleft | Dec 31, 2023 |

Nnedi Okoraforprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foltzer, ChristineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruth, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the little blue jellyfish I saw swimming
the Khalid Lagoon that sunny day in Sharjah,
United Arab Emirates
I powered up the transporter and said a silent prayer.
"This was my first time leaving the home of my parents. I had never even left my own city, let alone my planet Earth. Days later, in the blackness of space, everyone on my ship but the pilot was killed, many right before my eyes, by a people at war with those who view my own people as near slaves."
This story was first published on Tor.com

Binti has left home
The bits of it she carries
See her through the end
(Benona)

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,577,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible