Binti (Binti, 1) by Nnedi Okorafor

Binti (Binti, 1) (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Nnedi Okorafor (Author)

Series: Binti (1)

Her name is Binti, and she is the first of the Himba people ever to be offered a place at Oomza University, the finest institution of higher learning in the galaxy. But to accept the offer will mean giving up her place in her family to travel between the stars among strangers who do not share her ways or respect her customs. Knowledge comes at a cost, one that Binti is willing to pay, but her journey will not be easy. The world she seeks to enter has long warred with the Meduse, an alien race that has become the stuff of nightmares. Oomza University has wronged the Meduse, and Binti's stellar travel will bring her within their deadly reach. If Binti hopes to survive the legacy of a war not of her making, she will need both the gifts of her people and the wisdom enshrined within the University, itself--but first she has to make it there, alive.… (more)
Member:lpowersEng1
Title:Binti (Binti, 1)
Authors:Nnedi Okorafor (Author)
Info:Tordotcom (2015), Edition: 1st, 96 pages
Collections:CHS Books

Work Information

Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (2015)

English (204)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (205)
Wow this was exciting. Very powerful opening. Loved the sudden change of pace. Loved the obvious Octavia Butler vibes. But I too felt the ending was abrupt, a bit wish-fulfillment, a bit rushed.

I want, and feel the need to, re-read this before catching up with it's sequels. It was fun and thought-provoking. Definitely recommended for younger readers.

Will probably add a spoilerific synopsis the second time I read it. ( )
  Silenostar | Dec 7, 2022 |
Short novella size story about a young lady who leaves her home and people to go to the university. On the way there is a hijacking of their space ship by an enemy. Binti does not die, she is able to communicate and her gift is to create harmony. ( )
  Kristelh | Dec 3, 2022 |
This may not be an entirely objective review.
I don't know if this is just me, maybe this is all readers. But there are some authors whose words become a voice when I read them. To some degree that happens with anything we read. We put together letters into words into sentences strung into stories that speak in our minds. But for me, for some authors it's more. It's a voice, not just that normal reading voice that runs through my mind ninety-nine percent of the time. A voice distinctively different and unique. When I've found authors that resonate like that it's usually pretty consistent and pretty much everything I read by that author speaks in that voice. It's a rare treat, and I find myself drinking up anything that author offers up. Is that just me? Maybe that speaks more to the skill of the author than anything unique in my head. I'd be curious of other readers get this same resonance when reading this story.

Binti was short, a novella. But it was a pure pleasure from first word to last. I've got the rest of the series on order already and am planning on reading as much Nnedi Okorafor as I can find. ( )
  WinterEgress | Dec 2, 2022 |
4,6 stars

I was worried going into this that my expectations were too high. I'm glad I was worried for nothing. Sometimes I have trouble truly loving novellas, because too often authors try to cram too much into too few words. Not an issue here; I found the story perfectly balanced for my tastes. The only thing that fell a little flat for me was Binti's grief (more the basis of it) as the beginning was brushed past so quickly. It's hard to relate to loss when you haven't properly been shown what has been lost. ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |
This novella covers impressive ground, quickly. In only a few pages readers have a sense of how far Earth has come and how much it has stayed the same. Binti's journey to University is wonderful and you are excited for her.

Then the real plot kicks into gear.

I was glad to read this in one sitting, I couldn't put it down. On second thought, everything ran a little TOO smoothly, but I'm hoping that's addressed in the sequels.

Binti

Next: 'Binti: Home' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Nov 4, 2022 |

Okorafor, Nnediprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foltzer, ChristineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruth, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the little blue jellyfish I saw swimming
the Khalid Lagoon that sunny day in Sharjah,
United Arab Emirates
I powered up the transporter and said a silent prayer.
"This was my first time leaving the home of my parents. I had never even left my own city, let alone my planet Earth. Days later, in the blackness of space, everyone on my ship but the pilot was killed, many right before my eyes, by a people at war with those who view my own people as near slaves."
This story was first published on Tor.com

Binti has left home
The bits of it she carries
See her through the end
(Benona)

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,301,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible