Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

Jonathan Livingston Seagull (original 1970; edition 2006)

by Richard Bach

Member:davadog13
Title:Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Authors:Richard Bach
Info:Scribner (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 112 pages

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach (Author) (1970)

Recently added byprivate library, dinky1, Francisco6565, OnneliA, MWise, Janelle5, ShirleyWilliams, Insulterm, KOlmos
Legacy LibrariesAyn Rand

English (124)  Italian (6)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Czech (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (143)
Jonathan Livingston Seagull; (4*)

I really liked this little book. It is a fast and easy read with wonderful lessons to be learned about friendship, freedom and the value of things that really matter.
In it you will follow Jonathan's travels around the world and see everything through his eyes. One would not think one could learn anything from this wee book about a fictitious little seagull but this reader did.
This is a lovely tale. I feel I can recommend it to youth and adult alike. ( )
  rainpebble | Mar 10, 2019 |
More pictures than prose. Easy to read. Interesting concept for a book. Many themes for such a short book. I read it based on a recommendation on a list of great books, I do not think I would classify this as one. ( )
  foof2you | Jan 7, 2019 |
Enjoyable and thought provoking on my first read. I'll probably come back to it at some point. A fable, open to a few different interpretations. ( )
1 vote kenno82 | Dec 15, 2018 |
I read this one quite late, so it's a little silly now. I really wish I could go back in time and read this book when I was maybe 12, I would've loved it then! ( )
  iSatyajeet | Nov 21, 2018 |
  iSatyajeet | Nov 21, 2018 |
Fernão Capelo Gaivota é uma proposta de superação às nossas limitações. Uma crença na força que provém do nosso mundo interior. Em cada um de nós existe um Fernão Capelo Gaivota…

Bach, RichardAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Munson, RussellPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bean, TomCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kauppi, KaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paolini, Pier FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the real Jonathan Seagull, who lives within us all
It was morning, and the new sun sparkled gold across the ripples of a gentle sea.
By sunup, Jonathan Gull was practicing again. From five thousand feet the fishing boats were specks in the flat blue water, Breakfast Flock was a faint cloud of dust motes, circling. He was alive, trembling ever so slightly with delight, proud that his fear was under control. Then without ceremony he hugged in his forewings, extended his short, angled wingtips, and plunged directly toward the sea. By the time he passed four thousand feet he had reached terminal velocity, the wind was a solid beating wall of sound against which he could move no faster. He was flying now straight down, at two hundred fourteen miles per hour. He swallowed, knowing that if his wings unfolded at that speed he’d be blown into a million tiny shreds of seagull. But the speed was power, and the speed was joy, and the speed was pure beauty. He began his pullout at a thousand feet, wingtips thudding and blurring in that gigantic wind, the boat and the crowd of gulls tilting and growing meteor-fast, directly in his path. He couldn’t stop; he didn’t know yet even how to turn at that speed. Collision would be instant death. And so he shut his eyes. It happened that morning, then, just after sunrise, that Jonathan Livingston Seagull fired directly through the center of Breakfast Flock, ticking off two hundred twelve miles per hour, eyes closed, in a great roaring shriek of wind and feathers. The Gull of Fortune smiled upon him this once, and no one was killed. By the time he had pulled his beak straight up into the sky he was still scorching along at a hundred and sixty miles per hour. When he had slowed to twenty and stretched his wings again at last, the boat was a crumb on the sea, four thousand feet below.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743278909, Paperback)

"Most gulls don't bother to learn more than the simplest facts of flight--how to get from shore to food and back again," writes author Richard Bach in this allegory about a unique bird named Jonathan Livingston Seagull. "For most gulls it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, though, it was not eating that mattered, but flight." Flight is indeed the metaphor that makes the story soar. Ultimately this is a fable about the importance of seeking a higher purpose in life, even if your flock, tribe, or neighborhood finds your ambition threatening. (At one point our beloved gull is even banished from his flock.) By not compromising his higher vision, Jonathan gets the ultimate payoff: transcendence. Ultimately, he learns the meaning of love and kindness. The dreamy seagull photographs by Russell Munson provide just the right illustrations--although the overall packaging does seem a bit dated (keep in mind that it was first published in 1970). Nonetheless, this is a spirituality classic, and an especially engaging parable for adolescents. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

An unusual seagull becomes an outcast from his flock because of his search for a higher purpose in life and his quest for more freedom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,440,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible