Burn by Suzanne Wright

DNF after ca. 15%. Not much, I know, but I couldn't see it improving in the near future and there are too many good books out there waiting to be read.
A pity, really, because I've read other books by [a: Suzanne Wright|5769764|Suzanne Wright|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1331458504p2/5769764.jpg] and I really enjoyed them.
  Tacuazin | Feb 28, 2018 |
It was great, can't wait for the next book to come out! ( )
  tiffsaddictiontobook | Jul 18, 2017 |
Smokin hot

OMG I love Burn so much, this is my first Book by the talented Suzanne Wright and can I just say it definitely will not be my last, I loved the idea of inner demons so unique, I was hooked from the minute I started reading and was transfixed till the closing lines. Harper was such a likable character, feisty, independent but also very uncomplicated and accepting. Knox well what a hottie and his inner demon just mmmm, I loved the easy acceptance of a mate and anchor even know it was unexpected so refreshing. The chemistry between harper and knox was smokin hot and the pages sizzled with heat, I really am lookin forward to the next installment in this fantastic series. ( )
  carpathian1974 | Jun 6, 2017 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Dark paranormal romance/urban fantasy set in a world of demons that I really enjoyed.

Opening Sentence: From her seat in the large dome, Harper Wallis winced along with the other spectators as one of the contenders in the combat circle collided with the ceiling.

The Review:

Demons are a part of the newest series by Suzanne Wright. If you have a love for the strange and possibly evil demons then you will want to read this series. Suzanne sets up a secret world of demons that seems as if it could be true. The romance is hot even if it is a bit of the insta-attraction. I don’t want to call it love, especially since one of the characters within has a hard time with that word too. I’ll delve more into the aspects of why their relationship was like that later in the review.

Harper Wallis is a demon but not just any demon. She is a “secret” hybrid that everyone around her underestimates. When I say “secret” that just means she doesn’t advertise what type of demon she is. They think that she is an imp (trickster) demon since that is what her family is but that imp trait has only made Harper stronger since she knows all their tricks. One night, Harper’s cousin gets into a bit of trouble and Harper takes her place in the battle ring.

Knox Thorne is impressed by Harper’s fight. When he brings Harper in for a “meeting”, he can’t get Harper to divulge why she stood in for the fight. As she leaves they shake hands, touching for demons is something that isn’t done without permission, and the impossible happens. Knox and Harper get the internal sensation that they are each other’s Anchor. When Knox realizes that the impossible has happened he doesn’t want to let Harper out of his sight but her stubbornness makes him realize that he is going to have to win her over before she will agree to be his Anchor.

Demons is this world are an amalgam of different types of creatures that are all “demons”. Examples include imp, cat, hellhound and many more. They have their human side and then they have their demon side which is almost a whole different person but they each carry characteristics of the other. Every demon has an anchor whether they find that person or not. An Anchor boosts the power for each demon making them stronger so when they find them they usually team up but not always. One thing about Anchors is that they are often lovers at some point but they are not Mates, sometimes Anchors can be Mates but that is rare. There is also a hierarchy that the demon world adheres to but in this story that hierarchy is being threatened with change that may or may not work.

Harper is a strong-willed, stubborn woman who has grown only to rely on herself. For the most part, I enjoyed her character. She wanted to keep her independence and she didn’t want the responsibilities of being an Anchor let alone an Anchor to the strongest known demon in the world. She is attracted to Knox but she tries to not act on her feelings. She fights off several attempts on her life while being drawn deeper into Knox’s world, she has to make a decision if she wants to stand by his side or forget about the attractive, moody demon.

Knox has many responsibilities as one of the strongest demons in the world. He has grown his empire with his loyal crew. He is moody and a loner. He doesn’t want the world to know what kind of a demon he is so it is one of the deepest, darkest secrets in the demon world. He has always assumed that he would be alone, he never figured he would meet his anchor let alone someone who could possibly be his mate. He didn’t bargain for the fight he would have with the stubborn Harper.

The story is dual point of view between Harper and Knox. My only complaint is that sometimes the thoughts would jump from character to character in the same paragraphs. I would have to reread because I would be like wait that character couldn’t have said that.

Overall, this was a fun, dark and sexy read. I enjoyed the growth of the characters relationship. I went into this series thinking that it would be a paranormal romance that jumps to different characters but after reading the synopsis for Blaze, the second in the series, I think this is more of an urban fantasy, paranormal romance hybrid which I love. I absolutely can’t wait to see how these characters will grow in the next book.

Notable Scene:

Isla, having overheard the little exchange, peered at Harper. “And who is this, Knox?”

As he slightly tugged on her wrist, Harper stepped forward. Figuring it was best to get it over with, she said, “Hi, I’m Harper, Knox’s anchor.”

For a few seconds, Isla didn’t respond at all. Then her face hardened, her body tensed as if to spring, and her eyes bled to black. The demon glared at Harper with a promise of pain. Knox, Tanner, and Levi gathered closer to Harper protectively even as Harper’s dark protective power rushed to her hands, ready to deliver some soul-deep pain. Still, her inner demon literally charged to the surface and took control.

Alarm shot through Knox when a chill surrounded him and Harper’s demon rose to the fore. As it glared at the predator that lived within Isla, he saw a fierce temper – saw an entity that would protect Harper against absolutely anyone or anything.

“Don’t,” it warned Isla’s demon. “You won’t find me the easy prey you assume me to be.”

“You are nothing,” scoffed the other demon.

Harper’s demon smiled cruelly. “You are not what you pretend to be. I see it. I see what you are.”

FTC Advisory: Piatkus/Little Brown/Hachette provided me with a copy of Burn. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Sep 15, 2016 |

Part of a small demon lair in Las Vegas, tattooist Harper Wallis lives a pretty simple life. That changes overnight when she discovers that her psychic mate, or "anchor," is a guy who's rumored to be the most powerful demon in existence. Compelling, full of secrets, and armed with raw sexuality, Knox Thorne is determined to claim her as his anchor, creating a psychic bond that will prevent their inner demons from ever turning rogue. The billionaire also wants Harper in his bed. She's not so sure she wants either of those things. No one seems to know what breed of demon Knox is, only that he's more dangerous than anything she's ever before encountered. But he refuses to walk away. And when an unknown danger starts closing in on Harper, it seems that Knox is the only one who can keep her safe. As Prime of his Las Vegas lair and a successful businessman, Knox Thorne is used to getting what he wants, and he wants Harper. He'll have her, and he'll keep her safe from the threat that looms over her. Because Knox protects what's his. He won't allow anyone to take her from him. Even if it will mean letting the demon inside him rise and wreak the havoc it was created to make. Contains mature themes.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,655,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible