The Rose and the Dagger: The Wrath and the…

The Rose and the Dagger: The Wrath and the Dawn Book 2 (edition 2017)

by Renée Ahdieh (Author)

Instant New York Times Bestseller The much anticipated sequel to the breathtaking The Wrath and the Dawn, lauded by Publishers Weekly as "a potent page-turner of intrigue and romance." I am surrounded on all sides by a desert. A guest, in a prison of sand and sun. My family is here. And I do not know whom I can trust. In a land on the brink of war, Shahrzad has been torn from the love of her husband Khalid, the Caliph of Khorasan. She once believed him a monster, but his secrets revealed a man tormented by guilt and a powerful curse--one that might keep them apart forever. Reunited with her family, who have taken refuge with enemies of Khalid, and Tariq, her childhood sweetheart, she should be happy. But Tariq now commands forces set on destroying Khalid's empire. Shahrzad is almost a prisoner caught between loyalties to people she loves. But she refuses to be a pawn and devises a plan. While her father, Jahandar, continues to play with magical forces he doesn't yet understand, Shahrzad tries to uncover powers that may lie dormant within her. With the help of a tattered old carpet and a tempestuous but sage young man, Shahrzad will attempt to break the curse and reunite with her one true love.… (more)
Member:greenteaholic
Title:The Rose and the Dagger: The Wrath and the Dawn Book 2
Authors:Renée Ahdieh (Author)
Info:Hodder Paperbacks (2017), 432 pages

The Rose and the Dagger by Renée Ahdieh

This is good storytelling, plain and simple. I loved the twists Ahdieh made on certain tropes and how there are such strong women and girls in this series. Her writing is fast-paced, but it doesn't feel rushed. She's definitely an author to look out for in the future. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
This was even better than Wrath and the Dawn. I loved Shahrzad and Khalid so much❤. The book was well written with the plot carefully planned and the ending was beautiful Loved it ❤❤. One of the best books I have read so far.Thank you Renèe Ahdieh for writing this precious book. ( )
  Haleema-imran | Aug 3, 2020 |
This one was better than it's predecessor. It had more character dynamics and more characters in general. Although, I can't say I like any of them that much.
The only character I genuinely liked died and it was the only time I was invested in the story. The magic was very forced. I have no idea why the author had to add it except for breaking the curse part. But then giving it to Shahrzad and her dad for no reason whatsoever? Bro, please. Major Mary-Sue move.

I didn't care for the characters but my favourite ones were-- Khalid, Jalal, Rahim, Artan and Vikram. It frustrates me so kich that only person who calls Vikram his real name is Khalid. And also how is character is treated is trash.

I really wasn't very invested in the story but it was fast-paced and fun. I wasn't bored and that's all that matters. I won't come back to this book again or remember it after a while but I don't dislike it at all. Yes, it had weird clichés but every book has that.

Also, I hate Tariq.

Quotes
“No, Queen of a Land I Care Nothing About.” Artan laughed at his own joke. “I won’t.”

For a story was only as good as its villain.

“Give me a meaningful love or a beautiful death!”
  AzuraScarlet | Aug 1, 2020 |
"He did not belong to her. And she did not belong to him. It was never about belonging to someone.

It was about belonging together."

I have been waiting so long for a YA book to have this sentiment. Too often, love is shown as ownershi of a person and that's just not healthy. I'm so happy that Ahdieh has done this.

Not for the book. I really like [b:The Wrath & the Dawn|18798983|The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath & the Dawn, #1)|Renee Ahdieh|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1417956963s/18798983.jpg|26724902] but I had felt that the pacing was a bit off, especially in the first half. This book is much better done. I never felt that I was running too fast through the story. A lot happened over a large span of time but it never felt off.

I still love Shahzard. She's feisty and spunky and a lot of good things. Definitely a stronger heroine in many different way. I want to be her friend. I love that she has come to love Khalid. She may not have changed a lot but I did feel that she drew to be more level-headed and less childish even if she still has her sharp-tongued trait. Khalid did grow a lot. I found myself a little disbelieving that he would open up to Isra as easily as he did but I was willing and able to put up with it.

Overall, this book is really entertaining and I had so much fun reading it. It also has a satisfying ending that isn't too intense and upsetting but rather the opposite even if it did feel a bit too easy. ( )
  Isana | Jul 7, 2020 |
Morality is a big part of this tale. I became a wise person while reading it. In the end, women were the heroes and the men trusted they do the job well. It's been a long time since I read a bedtime story such as this and I find that it's one I will be telling my children, nieces and nephews for the rest of my life. This is a legend that has many stories woven within. ( )
  Shay.suzyq | Jan 3, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

The rose’s rarest essence lives in the thorns.
Jalal al-Din Rumi
To my sisters:
Erica, Elaine, and Sabaa—
This book would not be possible without each of you.
And to Victor, always.
The girl was eleven and three-quarters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,700,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible