dismiss

Half Lost by Sally Green
The magical, stunning conclusion to the internationally acclaimed Half Bad trilogy. The Alliance is losing. Their most critical weapon, seventeen-year-old witch Nathan Brynn, has killed fifty-two people, and yet he's no closer to ending the tyrannical, abusive rule of the Council of White Witches in England. Nor is Nathan any closer to his personal goal: getting revenge on Annalise, the girl he once loved, before she committed an unthinkable crime. There is an amulet, protected by the extremely powerful witch Ledger, which could be the tool Nathan needs to save himself and the Alliance. But the amulet is not so easily acquired. And lately Nathan has started to suffer from visions: a vision of a golden moment when he dies, and of an endless line of Hunters, impossible to overcome. Gabriel, his closest companion, encourages Nathan to run away with him, to start a peaceful life together. But even Gabriel's love may not be enough to save Nathan from this war, or from the person he has become.   Set in modern-day Europe, the final book in the Half Bad trilogy is more than a story about witches. It's a heart-poundingly visceral look at survival and exploitation, the nature of good and evil, and the risks we take for love.… (more)

A fitting finale for this trilogy. Sad, but honestly I don't see how it could have ended any other way. Watching Nathan evolve through these three books was impressive. You have a main character who's so flawed and is in constant battle with his own actions, trying to come to terms with who he is and hating himself, yet knowing he has to do bad things. I loved that he wasn't perfect, that he made so many mistakes, and was such a unique character. ( )
  Letora | Nov 24, 2019 |
Nathan's father is dead, his heart eaten by no other than Nathan and the Alliance is almost completely wiped out; all thanks to Annelise. Despite the fact that Soul, his Council and their Hunters are growing rapidly and seemingly seems to gain more and more ground all over Europe, Annelise is the one thing he can't stop thinking about. The warmth and love he once felt has been replaced by a burning hatred and a painful longing to see her pay for her actions. More lost than ever, Nathan struggles to keep his thirst for revenge in line but he's starting to fear he's losing whatever good he once had in him.

I was so excited to go back to this world, to Nathan and to Gabriel. My friend warned me from the early start that finishing the trilogy would lead to nothing but disappointment; but I had a hard time letting Nathan go. To say I identify with him is perhaps a bit much but I definitely saw parts of him that moved me, and I could relate to. And for the first half, I loved it. It was going in the direction I had been expecting it to go, and it was a good direction.

Nathan has come so far since the first book, for both better and worse, and I find myself completely wrapped up in his story and his entire being; he is complex and raw. He feels so real in that way, and perhaps that's why I had such a hard time just letting him go before knowing his faith. It felt like abandonment. But I almost would've preferred it that way. Because as much as the first half had me thinking of the many sentences I would spend in the review to describe the many interesting aspects of this trilogy... the second half truly made me forget all of those sentences at once.

Now, I often do disagree with authors and feel angry over endings and such. But usually, no matter how angry I am, it was a well-written and powerful ending. I can't think of a good such ending in literature right now, but Titanic comes to mind. Oh, no, Brokeback Mountain. That is the worst but also most beautiful endings in literature in my opinion even though I've yet to finish the whole story. But this time I'm just tired. There was absolutely no reason for the book to end like it did. Especially considering the actual gay couple it contained – which wasn't just a headcanon. I think it's dangerous to try to compare gay literature (whatever that means) to straight literature. The ”your sexuality doesn't matter to me, it's all the same” mentality is still dangerous. I wish we'd gotten there but we haven't. That's why this book makes me so sad.

Now, I'm not saying every gay couple in literature should end up together. Far from it. And if there's a gigantic diffference in how Nathan and Gabriel's relationship ended and how Ennis and Jack's relationship ended. One is toxic and not really necessary while the other is realistic and meant to make a point. And I think, if you don't understand that than I'd rather have you write straight literature until we finally reach the point where it's all the same. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
This series was really good, but what really made it great for me was the narrator on the audiobook. He really gets into it, yelling and breathing hard and making it so real. I highly recommend listening to the book, it just flies by.
Nathan is so interesting, I like being in his head. The way he thinks, when he goes into his animal form, when he hears the static of cell phones. I love his and Gabriel's relationship. It's so beautiful and sweet and they fight sometimes and make up. When Gabriel died, I was heartbroken for Nathan. He loved him so much and I couldn't believe it. Even though it's sad Nathan turned into a tree, I hope he was at peace and not grieving anymore.
I did cry at the end, it was so emotional. Theses books are pretty short and so easy to get through. I really enjoyed them. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
More running around and killing people and not listening to each other. Nathan now has All The Superpowers. And is still painfully stupid. And I stuck with him through the entire story, found the resolution to both the love storylines to be not what I was looking for (fridge the love interest so the hero can Grieve, and also 'well, she wasn't actually an evil spy, but you're too upset and out of it to even engage with this now') and then he gave up on the whole mess of life and the horrors of war, and just turned into a tree. I can see why, but a bit of me really felt it was a cop out! ( )
  atreic | Feb 4, 2019 |
Very good and kind of deep. About as good as the others with similar pacing to the second novel. Enjoyed it ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,268,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible