The Australian

by Lesley Young

5 stars / 3 flames

I don't give many 5-star reviews (only 5 out of 125 books to date this year). So you know when I do give a 5-star, I really enjoyed the book. And I really really enjoyed this book, mainly due to our quirky female lead character, Charlie Sykes. She is my favorite female character of the year so far.

Charlie suffers from Pervasive Development Disorder... which seems a bit like Asperger's to me. She has trouble with social clues and deciphering emotions. This makes Charlie a very literal, logical and straight-forward person. I loved the way her mind worked - and I think we would get along very well. I felt very protective of her throughout the whole book, so I was absolutely livid at these law enforcement officers who were putting her through the ringer. I wanted to throttle them! And since I work in the same field, that is saying something. Charlie was obviously not equipped to deal with the situations they were putting her in - and they knew it. She is such a different sort of lead character than we usually see in contemporary romance, it was refreshing to have someone so unique and endearing.

I do not believe it is appropriate or professional to engage in coitus with one's employer.

Arousal was not a mental disorder.

Jace Knight (great name) is our anti-hero, a rich bad boy trying to go straight and doing that the best way he knew how. You can tell that Jace has never met anyone like Charlie, and he is captivated by her from their first meeting. He was also very protective of her, and I loved him for that (even though he did trick her a couple times). I could not fault anything with their relationship - the pacing worked well with the story and Jace seemed to honestly care about Charlie.

The "villains" in the story are who we usually think of as good guys - intelligence agents and international law enforcement. Working in this field, I cringed at the actions these people were taking. I can only hope people in my agency would never conduct themselves in this fashion.

Overall, The Australian was a breath of fresh air. I recommend it to fans of contemporary romance who are in a reading slump, or are looking for something different than the standard, often annoying, new adult heroines pervading the genre at the moment.

See full review at http://bambi-unbridled.blogspot.com. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | May 28, 2016 |
5 stars / 3 flames

Arousal was not a mental disorder.

See full review at http://bambi-unbridled.blogspot.com. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,117,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible