Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson

Oathbringer

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: The Stormlight Archive (3), Cosmere (15)

I have so many feelings about this book it is hard to sort them all out in my head. It was an amazing read with so many layers and moving pieces to it. And I know I will definitely need to reread it because there are going to be things I missed in my first read through. I need to let everything settle first, though. And I am okay with that. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
This could have been split into 2 or 3 manageable books. By managable I mean will not cause my RSI to flare. At over 1200 pages it's a tome and a half. We're dealing with the fact that things have to be resolved, there's a lot of twisty messy politics, social issues, and pasts coming to haunt people. It's mostly about people dealing with past trauma so they can move on. A lot of it is self-inflicted but much of it is situational and then I got to the end and realised that while there were a few tied threads there were a number left untied and waiting for another book.

It's an interesting read, intresting and complex characters that aren't simple and straightforward but our heroes are mostly trying to do the best they can with the tools at hand and sometimes the tools break and sometimes those tools are humans. politics is a messy, complicated thing that breaks the best and under a war footing can make some strange bedfellows. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 6, 2018 |
This one disappointed me. There were individual moments throughout the book I look liked, but overall it felt like there was too much going on, like there was so much Sanderson wanted to do with this one but he couldn't tie it altogether as tightly as he normally does with this series. This is also the first book in the series that left me with a questions, and not in the good, anticipatory way that lead into the next part of the story.

I'm beginning to feel as if the typical Sanderson polish is starting to fade, at least for me. Usually his name is synonymous with quality, but this felt too grand, to messy for even him to wrangle with. Ever since I read the Reckoner series (and the terrible way that ended) I've started to suspect that maybe he's just not doing it for me but anymore. This unfortunately gives that feeling some added weight. ( )
  walnutbrowniebrain | May 22, 2018 |
This series pulls you in and grabs you and won't let go. You want to read further to find out how things work in this world, what can the characters do, what new powers will they get when they move through the levels of Radiance, what exactly is a spren, etc. I am looking forward to reading further, but at the moment I would rather that Brandon wraps it all up in the next book. Don't ruin a masterpiece by fleshing out the future storyline too much ... please. ( )
  Jawin | Mar 8, 2018 |
Massive book that is unfortunately not quite as good as the previous ones. There's just so much going on on so many different levels. Fortunately the plot does move forward, mostly in the second half of the book and there are quite a few interesting revelations. ( )
  Guide2 | Feb 21, 2018 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alan Layton
Who was cheering for Dalinar
(And me)
Before Stormlight even existed.
Eshonai had always told her sister that she was certain something wonderful lay over the next hill.

"Dalinar Kholin's Alethi armies won a fleeting victory at a terrible cost: The enemy Parshendi summoned the violent Everstorm, which now sweeps the world with destruction, and in its passing awakens the once peaceful and subservient parshmen to the horror of their millennia-long enslavement by humans. While on a desperate flight to warn his family of the threat, Kaladin Stormblessed must come to grips with the fact that the newly kindled anger of the parshmen may be wholly justified. Nestled in the mountains high above the storms, in the tower city of Urithiru, Shallan Davar investigates the wonders of the ancient stronghold of the Knights Radiant and unearths dark secrets lurking in its depths. And Dalinar realizes that his holy mission to unite his homeland of Alethkar was too narrow in scope. Unless all the nations of Roshar can put aside Dalinar's blood-soaked past and stand together--and unless Dalinar himself can confront that past--even the restoration of the Knights Radiant will not prevent the end of civilization."--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,143,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible