Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight…

Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive (edition 2017)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author)

Dalinar Kholin's Alethi armies won a fleeting victory at a terrible cost: The enemy Parshendi summoned the violent Everstorm, which now sweeps the world with destruction, and in its passing awakens the once peaceful and subservient parshmen to the horror of their millennia-long enslavement by humans. While on a desperate flight to warn his family of the threat, Kaladin Stormblessed must come to grips with the fact that the newly kindled anger of the parshmen may be wholly justified. Nestled in the mountains high above the storms, in the tower city of Urithiru, Shallan Davar investigates the wonders of the ancient stronghold of the Knights Radiant and unearths dark secrets lurking in its depths. And Dalinar realizes that his holy mission to unite his homeland of Alethkar was too narrow in scope. Unless all the nations of Roshar can put aside Dalinar's blood-soaked past and stand together--and unless Dalinar himself can confront that past--even the restoration of the Knights Radiant will not prevent the end of civilization."--Dust jacket.… (more)
Member:sami7
Title:Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Info:Macmillan USA (2017), 1248 pages
Collections:Currently reading
Tags:currently-reading

Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson

Brandon Sanderson's imagination continually impresses me. And his skill as a writer has grown despite the length of the Stormlight books increasing and the scope of his overall Cosmere expanding. The complexity of his ambition is immense, but somehow that doesn't distract from how encouraging and triumphant his books are. I love this story, I love that it's going to last seven more books, I love that it's connected to a larger framework. I've enjoyed long series before, but Sanderson's achievement thus far is beyond any of those prior reading experiences. I simply can't fault many of his non-YA books. And really, I've tried to find something nitpicky to balance this almost fanboy-ish review. I can only say that their size or fantasy subject might put some people off. Even then, if someone is willing to try one of Sanderson's smaller fantasy books or series and finds it enjoyable, they'll find nothing different in Stormlight. Expect another tightly-plotted, carefully written, heartfelt and meaningful story that exceeds your expectations. ( )
  yorga2020 | Aug 30, 2020 |
  slick_schick | Jun 16, 2020 |
Holy c**p.

This was amazing.

I thought it was going to be hard to top the first two doorstoppers, but this one not only outdid the others in page-count but also in the quality of the storytelling. Every aspect of it was brilliant.

I'm not usually one to gush on and on about epic fantasies. Most are pretty okay and I can slog through and eventually enjoy certain ones like GoT all right, but a few really manage to jump right out there and grab you with character, world-building, and overall story with heart, rage, heartache, and amazeballs reveals that are about as far away from the usual as you can get but still slam you with the reality and inevitability. I'm talking about Dalinar.

I mean, sure, we get a lot of great stuff from Kaladin as he grows into his new heroic role and learns a lot of disturbing things about the Parchendi, including the fact that humanity is the invaders to this land, that we are the villains. And Shallan continues to grow as an illusionist and her love story is quite satisfying if generally on the backburner to the main action. Doesn't matter. I think I'll always love her and all her split personalities.

But even though we think we've learned a lot of things about the ultra-honorable Dalinar and we're satisfied with the fact that he's bonded with the Stormfather himself, the reveals regarding his missing memory is kinda shocking, to say the least. I mean, it's kinda flooring. And now all the unspoken and referred-to actions of his younger self now make a lot more sense. He's an animal. All about the passion and the Thrill. The blood-rage, the thing that consumes all. How did he get here from there? Ah, that's the trick, no?

Well, I can tell you all that it is all brilliant. :)

But don't just think this is all character development. Indeed, most of it is occurring during really fantastic scenes of action or during inopportune times. The momentum is maintained. And then there's a whole squad of flying, storm-riding heroes. Matter-altering women, master illusionists, blade dancers, immortal assassins, gods, and my personal favorite... the cognitive realm itself.

Oh, yes, we are treated to the homeworld of the Spren. A lot of it. And a very cool place it is. :) Nature spirits or creatures of pure thought, who cares? It's damn cool. :) And the reveals about humanity? NICE. :)

I think this one might be my favorite. It obviously builds on the previous novels, but it has the wonderful distinction of not just gliding. It pushes and strives for a lot more and I couldn't be happier. :)

Bravo, Sanderson! You've got a life-long fanboy here! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
**Oathbringer** shows how intensely *Brandon Sanderson* can deliver payoff to >1k pages long story archs. There are several moments where I was so invested in both the characters an the story, that the ongoing action made me emotional – we get to see our share of drug problems, depression, psychic breakdowns, all from characters that have a lot of history and have come a far way. Finally getting all the backstory on Dalinar, and seeing his development, were definitely worth the read – but I really wish that this Brandon could make this payoff possible in thinner books. Only a bit, mind, but the Stormlight Archives do tend to be … lengthy. And despite the length, somehow we never get to see how the main cast react to drastic events and revelations. It's weird – but it's still good (sometimes: great) fantasy. ( )
  _rixx_ | May 24, 2020 |

I had quite enjoyed the first two massive huge books in this trilogy, The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, but ran out of steam 500 pages into this one; in the end, I didn't quite care enough about the characters and setting to read another six hundred pages in order to find out where they all finished up. Just way too long. ( )
  nwhyte | May 3, 2020 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alan Layton
Who was cheering for Dalinar
(And me)
Before Stormlight even existed.
Eshonai had always told her sister that she was certain something wonderful lay over the next hill.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,434,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible