The Leaving

by Tara Altebrando

3722053,846 (3.38)4
"Six kindergarteners were taken. Eleven years later, five come back--with no idea of where they've been. No one remembers the sixth victim, Max. Avery, Max's sister, needs to find her brother--dead or alive--and isn't buying this whole memory-loss story"--

Good book, slow to start.

I really enjoyed this book. However, its climax came at about 73% into the book so it was a long way up the hill and a short trip down. ( )
  samantha.brown | Aug 21, 2021 |
wasted potential. ( )
  Septima | Aug 21, 2021 |
teen fiction (psychological/suspense). Scarlett's concrete poetry is a little annoying (an attempt to differentiate her character which doesn't quite work for me), but it is an engrossing story that I think teens will enjoy - plus it is a quick read, so an easy one to recommend.
Not the best book I've read this year, but decent. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
A quote from the book is the ultimate unintentional meta-joke the author did not intend, BUT applies to this book too perfectly and my exact feelings about reading this book:

"So Avery went up to her room and lay down on her bed and started reading. Which was something she generally liked to do.
But this book was painful.
The same way old movies sometimes were, with their incredibly long opening credit sequences and slow starts.
She started to skim.
Then tried to get herself to stop, to focus.
Then started to skim.
Then focused.
Then finally hit the meat of the story and powered through."

I slogged through this book that had a very stilted writing style, one-note characters, and extremely jarring artistic license to make the text look like 90s WordArt and do crazy grammar and punctuation art (?) all over the pages. What was the purpose? This is a bad rip-off of trying to make an impact à la House of Leaves. The beginning starts off strong for the first 50 pages and then suddenly it's just a bore-fest of teen drama and romance for over 300 pages. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHILDREN? The whole middle was unnecessary and the ending was so unimaginative leaving you with more questions. ( )
  holdenkillfield | Jun 16, 2021 |
I liked it but the ending and revelations just fell flat unfortunately. ( )
  zacchaeus | Dec 26, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,480,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible