D is for Deadbeat: A Kinsey Millhone…

"D" is for Deadbeat: A Kinsey Millhone Mystery (edition 2010)

by Sue Grafton (Author)

Collections:Your library, Mystery, Fiction, Read
Rating:***
Tags:series, paperback

D Is for Deadbeat by Sue Grafton

English (44)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (47)
Digital audio read by Mary Peiffer.
3.5***

Book four in the series. PI Kinsey Millhone gets a new client whose story seems a bit fishy. He wants her to deliver a certified check to a teen-aged boy. Her suspicions are aroused, especially when he refuses to explain why he can’t (or won’t) deliver it himself. But it’s the end of the month, rent is due, and she accepts his retainer. Then his check bounces and she quickly discovers that he isn’t who he claimed to be. When he turns up dead the police call it accidental drowning, but Kinsey thinks he was murdered. They question is why and by whom?

I really like this series. I had started it years ago and probably got to about book 8 or 9 before I stopped reading. Now I’ve started over from the beginning and am enjoying the retro feel. There are no cell phones or computers; Kinsey has to rely on her intellect, her network of connections and good old-fashioned leg work. She’s smart, determined, self-sufficient and never has to rely on a man to get her out of a tight spot.

Mary Peiffer does a fine job reading the audio version. She sets a good pace and I really like how she interprets Kinsey’s personality. ( )
  BookConcierge | May 3, 2019 |
I've been doing audio books in the car lately. Although this one is on CD, I discovered that there are many books to download for free from my library system. Very cool. You download them and they expire in 21 days. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
BOTTOM-LINE:
An okay but very depressing case.
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Kinsey is hired to deliver a cashier's cheque to a 15-year-old, but the client stiffs her on the fee so she hunts for him before delivering it.
WHAT I LIKED:
There isn't a lot of mystery early on, just a few simple unanswered questions until a body drops. Now suddenly there's a murder to solve. The initial premise of the lying client sounded a bit familiar to one of her other novels, but not quite the same, which was good. And while Jonah features in the story, the rest of the ancillary characters are non-existent, leaving the story to run along at a decent pace.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
I never really felt much sympathy or empathy for the murder victim, so it's hard to get too excited about the case. Overall, most of the characters and the outcomes are all negative, so the whole storyline is rather a downer.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Feb 19, 2019 |
3.5 Stars really So this installment was good I didn’t expect the ending till the end. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
As always, a great read. Never a dull moment. Her books could be read in one seating if one had the time. I never tire of Kinsey Millhone, the main character in Sue Grafton's books. She is an independent young woman, self-employed, doing what she loves to do and is good at it. As a private investigator, she is a minority in her field. If you enjoy suspense, this is book and series for you. ( )
  DocWalt10 | Nov 15, 2018 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kannosto, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Visser, TobyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister, Ann
and the memories of Maple Hill
Later, I found out his name was John Daggett, but that's not how he introduced himself the day he walked into my office.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939027, Mass Market Paperback)

When Alvin Limardo walks into P.I. Kinsey Millhone's office, she smells bad news. He wants Kinsey to deliver $25,000. The recipient: A fifteen-year-old boy. It's a simple matter. So simple that Kinsey wonders why he doesn't deliver the money himself. She's almost certain something is off. But with rent due, Kinsey accepts Limardo's retainer against her better judgment…

When Limardo's check bounces, Kinsey discovers she's been had big time. Alvin Limardo is really John Daggett--an ex-con with a drinking problem, two wives to boot, and a slew of people who would like to see him dead. Now Kinsey is out four hundred dollars and in hot pursuit of Daggett.

When Daggett's corpse shows up floating in the Santa Teresa surf, the cops rule the death an accident. Kinsey thinks it's murder. But seeking justice for a man who everyone seemed to despise is going to be a lot tougher than she bargained for--and what awaits her at the end of the road is much more disturbing than she could've ever imagined…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

Kinsey is hired to deliver $25,000 to a fifteen-year-old kid but discovers that the person who hired her is a phony who shows up dead when she tries to collect her fee.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,718,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible