D is for Deadbeat: A Kinsey Millhone Mystery…

D is for Deadbeat: A Kinsey Millhone Mystery (edition 2004)

by Sue Grafton (Author)

Series: Kinsey Millhone (4)

Kinsey is hired to deliver $25,000 to a fifteen-year-old kid but discovers that the person who hired her is a phony who shows up dead when she tries to collect her fee.
Member:caroline_r
Title:D is for Deadbeat: A Kinsey Millhone Mystery
Authors:Sue Grafton (Author)
Info:Pan (2004), Edition: New Edit/Cover, 336 pages

Work Information

D Is for Deadbeat by Sue Grafton

English (52)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (55)
This was another good mystery in the series. I've been reading these mysteries as a break from other series. One of the things I like about them is they are a product of their time. The 1980s -- research required legwork, cell phones weren't connecting us to the world, and desktop computers were expensive and rare. So it made sense to hire a private investigator to do the research and legwork.

There's one thing to remember about this series -- they aren't "cozy mysteries." There aren't a lot of warm, fuzzy characters. There are a good number of scumbags. The scumbags and unpleasant people abound in this book. Another thing to keep in mind is the author usually plays fair with the reader for the denouement. The bad guy isn't Sally's third cousin twice removed who happened to be in town that night and neither Kinsey nor the readers had prior knowledge of the person's existence.

So the upshot is that I thoroughly enjoyed the book, was surprised by the reveal, and am ordering the next book in the series. What more do you want? If you like PI mysteries, you can dive right in at any point, although these do mention past events. I think you'll like the books if you like series mysteries that aren't "cozy." ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Sep 6, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
Urgh. This was terrible. I cared for nothing that was happening other than noticing Kinsey finally had sex, which is ironic given her name. ( )
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |
I think I'm changing my middle initial to B for blindsided. For the second time this year, a novel took me off guard. D is for Deadbeat did just that and I'd even venture to say this book in the ABC series has been the best so far.
It starts off with an ex-con wanting a cashier's check for $25,000 delivered to a 15 year old boy. Before Kinsey can deliver the check, the deadbeat is murdered and the suspects are numerous. Could the deadbeat's sins of the past have played into it or maybe some under the table drug deals in prison has some revenge minded criminals seeking their cash back? Hmm. Definitely worth the time to read this one and find out. ( )
  Carmenere | Mar 19, 2021 |
Another enjoyable episode where KM meets some really interesting characters. A lot of people in these books are written with affection. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kannosto, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moya, Antonio-PrometeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Visser, TobyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sister, Ann
and the memories of Maple Hill
Later, I found out his name was John Daggett, but that's not how he introduced himself the day he walked into my office.

He calls himself Alvin Limardo, and the job he has for Kinsey is cut-and-dried: locate a kid who's done him a favor and pass on a check for $25,000. Stiffed for the retainer, Kinsey finds out Limardo's real name is John Daggett... ex-con, ex-liar-, ex-alchy, currently dead.
The cops call it an accident but Kinsey differs. Look at his life! A lot of people hated him, from much-abused wives, to drug dealers out big money, to the families of five people he killed driving drunk. In short, Daggett wasn't popular.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,456,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible