Flawed by Cecelia Ahern

Flawed (edition 2016)

by Cecelia Ahern (Author)

Series: Flawed/Perfect (1)

The stunning YA debut from internationally bestselling author Cecelia Ahern. Celestine North lives a perfect life. She's a model daughter and sister, she's well-liked by her classmates and teachers, and she's dating the impossibly charming Art Crevan. But then Celestine encounters a situation in which she makes an instinctive decision. She breaks a rule and now faces life-changing repercussions. She could be imprisoned. She could be branded. She could be found FLAWED. In this stunning novel, bestselling author Cecelia Ahern depicts a society in which perfection is paramount and mistakes are punished. And where one young woman decides to take a stand that could cost her everything.… (more)
Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:Flawed
Authors:Cecelia Ahern (Author)
Info:New York: Feiwel & Friends, 2016
Tags:Fiction

Work Information

Flawed by Cecelia Ahern

I know where the video is and now I have to wait for the next book to confirm this. Slightly frustrating

A good read. Somewhat predictable. ( )
  hipney | May 31, 2022 |
This is an interesting dystopian setting where any “flaw” in behavior gets you permanently branded and cast out in society, a la the “A” in “The Scarlet Letter.” Celestine starts out dating the son of one of the behavioral judges, but after she helps an elderly man on a bus who happens to be “flawed” she is cast out as well. Very engaging writing and excellent pacing.

Author Ceceila Ahern does a brilliant job of getting down to the meat of feelings and trauma and examining how Celestine has had her former life ripped away from her in a split second. Really, she could be talking about so many life events, and the visceral way each moment of shame, anger, rage and terror is described is so well done.

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
What I like about all Cecilia Ahern books is they make you think in a completely different direction.
A "perfect" society we know is always bad. Not very original This is from the point of view of a young girl and therefore a different perspective.
On the other hand, I absolutely hate books that don't end. A sequel, a trilogy are all irritating. Hate that I now have to wait atleast a year to see how this story ends ( )
  deepatarak | Jun 29, 2021 |
Celestine annoyed me at the beginning of the book, but I think her character development was excellent, if a little sudden. She is shocked by a traumatic event which makes her question everything she previously believed. This happened a little too quickly to be realistic, but it did have the effect of moving the plot along quickly.

Celestine describing things as illogical was very over-used. Just because she's supposed to be a good mathematician doesn't mean she should be obsessed with logic in every single situation. There was quite a lot of telling the reader that she's super good at maths rather than showing us this fact.

I loved the premise of this book and I've not been disappointed by the execution. There were enough twists and turns to keep me interested and the pace felt just right. The way the Flawed are treated and what happens to Celestine truly shocked me and really made me root for Celestine to fight against the system.

I was expecting more from Celestine in terms of speaking out against the Guild and working to destroy it, but this book focused more on her personal journey and struggle. I think it was important that we got to see her struggle with the rules and worldview imposed by the Guild as well as her slow recovery from her injuries. ( )
  zacchaeus | Dec 26, 2020 |
It is not the first Cecelia Ahern book that I read; it is her first YA book. I picked up the book after trying the first chapter challenge. It has been a long time since I read a dystopian YA book.
The summary that you need to know is: In a future society where 'flawed' people who have committed crimes are branded with an F, a young girl takes the stand.
It is a fast pace book and you certainly need to read the second book of the duo-logy, because it has a cliffhanger.
This world is very strange, and the people can get the 'flawed' mark for anything that it is unacceptable for the society that they live.
After Celestine's act that gets her to become flawed, there is a movement that they want to change the way the guild is ruling.
From this book, I take to passages that I believe are very important in the world that we live.
1. ""... We see being Flawed as a strength, Celestine. If you make a mistake, you learn from it. If you never make a mistake, you're never the wiser. These so-called perfect leaders we have now have never made a mistake. How can they have learned what's right and wrong, how could they have learned anything about themselves? About what they feel comfortable doing, about they feel is beyond scope of their character? The more mistakes you have made, the more you have learned.""
2. It is taken by the author's acknowledgments: "If there's one message that I hope this book portrays, it's this: None of us is perfect. Let us not pretend that we are. Let us not be afraid that we're not. Let us not label other and pretend we are not the same. Let us know that to be human is to be flawed, and let us learn from every made so we don't make them again."

Yes read the book, it can teach a lot about human behavior. ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 5, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For you, Dad.
I am a girl of definitions, of logic, of black and white. Remember this.
I am a girl of definitions, of logic, of black and white. Remember this.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,287,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible