Flawed by Cecelia Ahern

Flawed (edition 2016)

by Cecelia Ahern (Author)

Series: Flawed/Perfect (1)

The stunning YA debut from internationally bestselling author Cecelia Ahern. Celestine North lives a perfect life. She's a model daughter and sister, she's well-liked by her classmates and teachers, and she's dating the impossibly charming Art Crevan. But then Celestine encounters a situation in which she makes an instinctive decision. She breaks a rule and now faces life-changing repercussions. She could be imprisoned. She could be branded. She could be found FLAWED. In this stunning novel, bestselling author Cecelia Ahern depicts a society in which perfection is paramount and mistakes are punished. And where one young woman decides to take a stand that could cost her everything.… (more)
Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:Flawed
Authors:Cecelia Ahern (Author)
Info:New York: Feiwel & Friends, 2016
Tags:Fiction

Flawed by Cecelia Ahern

What I like about all Cecilia Ahern books is they make you think in a completely different direction.
A "perfect" society we know is always bad. Not very original This is from the point of view of a young girl and therefore a different perspective.
On the other hand, I absolutely hate books that don't end. A sequel, a trilogy are all irritating. Hate that I now have to wait atleast a year to see how this story ends ( )
  deepatarak | Jun 29, 2021 |
Celestine annoyed me at the beginning of the book, but I think her character development was excellent, if a little sudden. She is shocked by a traumatic event which makes her question everything she previously believed. This happened a little too quickly to be realistic, but it did have the effect of moving the plot along quickly.

Celestine describing things as illogical was very over-used. Just because she's supposed to be a good mathematician doesn't mean she should be obsessed with logic in every single situation. There was quite a lot of telling the reader that she's super good at maths rather than showing us this fact.

I loved the premise of this book and I've not been disappointed by the execution. There were enough twists and turns to keep me interested and the pace felt just right. The way the Flawed are treated and what happens to Celestine truly shocked me and really made me root for Celestine to fight against the system.

I was expecting more from Celestine in terms of speaking out against the Guild and working to destroy it, but this book focused more on her personal journey and struggle. I think it was important that we got to see her struggle with the rules and worldview imposed by the Guild as well as her slow recovery from her injuries. ( )
  zacchaeus | Dec 26, 2020 |
It is not the first Cecelia Ahern book that I read; it is her first YA book. I picked up the book after trying the first chapter challenge. It has been a long time since I read a dystopian YA book.
The summary that you need to know is: In a future society where 'flawed' people who have committed crimes are branded with an F, a young girl takes the stand.
It is a fast pace book and you certainly need to read the second book of the duo-logy, because it has a cliffhanger.
This world is very strange, and the people can get the 'flawed' mark for anything that it is unacceptable for the society that they live.
After Celestine's act that gets her to become flawed, there is a movement that they want to change the way the guild is ruling.
From this book, I take to passages that I believe are very important in the world that we live.
1. ""... We see being Flawed as a strength, Celestine. If you make a mistake, you learn from it. If you never make a mistake, you're never the wiser. These so-called perfect leaders we have now have never made a mistake. How can they have learned what's right and wrong, how could they have learned anything about themselves? About what they feel comfortable doing, about they feel is beyond scope of their character? The more mistakes you have made, the more you have learned.""
2. It is taken by the author's acknowledgments: "If there's one message that I hope this book portrays, it's this: None of us is perfect. Let us not pretend that we are. Let us not be afraid that we're not. Let us not label other and pretend we are not the same. Let us know that to be human is to be flawed, and let us learn from every made so we don't make them again."

Yes read the book, it can teach a lot about human behavior. ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 5, 2020 |
Flawed starts off a bit slow but stick with it, it'll be worth it in the end. The slow beginning acts as a great introduction to the world Celestine lives in. In this world, people are branded with an 'F' if they're deemed 'flawed'. As if the scarring isn't enough they are forced to live by simpler means than those around them.

A simple act of kindness leads Celestine to become the most flawed person ever. Most people have 1 or 2 brands but no, Celestine is shamed by being sentenced to 5. Only, the branding doesn't go as ordered thanks to a corrupt judge with a personal vendetta...though you'll have to read the book to learn more about that.
Once Celestine is locked up (in what's pretty much a glass cage) the story begins to pick up.

The act of branding is horrific and unimaginable, but this books makes it feel so real. Considering how much I disliked Celestine in the beginning I didn't expect to like Flawed as much as I did (I know it's a product of her upbringing but still). She does eventually redeem herself though and is stronger for it.
I'm impatiently waiting for the final installment in this dystopian series!

*ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  maebri | Mar 10, 2020 |
Flawed is the first installment in Cecilia Ahern’s new young adult dystopian series about a society where everyone is expected to be morally and ethically perfect. Engaging and thought-provoking, the novel is a bit of a slow-starter, but the story is quickly gains momentum which makes it virtually impossible to put down.

Seventeen year old Celestine North is a logical thinking, rule follower who tries to keep under the radar. She views the world as black and white and she never questions the policies that she is expected to abide by. She has a wonderful relationship with boyfriend Art and her family has a tight friendship with his father, Judge Bosco Crevan. Judge Crevan holds a powerful position in the government as a judge for the Guild who decides the fate of a person accused of moral or ethical violations. When Celestine is accused of being “flawed”, she begins questioning the system while at the same time trying to navigate her new life.

Celestine is a just a normal, average teenager before she is thrust into the spotlight after she is judged and found guilty of being “flawed”. Upon returning to school, she is subjected to the derision of her classmates and she is forced to deal with the fact that some of her teachers are refusing to teach her. The strict set of rules she must now follow as a “flawed” person affects every aspect of her life and her home life is a minefield as she tries to stay out of trouble with the harsh and uncaring Whistleblower assigned to monitor her. Celestine is also under heavy media scrutiny and since the local news is under the control of Judge Craven, she is fearful that her comments will be twisted to suit his purposes. Not knowing who to trust, she finds unlikely allies whose offers of assistance appear genuine, but Celestine remains wary that they might have a hidden agenda.

The storyline is well-developed, very creative and extremely innovative. Several plot points are thought-provoking with some aspects bearing eerie similarities to Nazi Germany. The very premise of perfection is subjective and this provides numerous opportunities to reflect on the violations that are construed as flaws. Basic compassion and acts of kindness are often at odds with the strict rules and the very process of deciding an accused person’s fate is ripe for corruption. The situation with Celestine occurs just as opposition for the flawed process is rising and she is suddenly the face and voice for those trying to end the practice.

Flawed is an outstanding young adult novel with an intriguing storyline. An absolutely brilliant first installment in Cecilia Ahern’s Flawed series that will leave readers very impatiently awaiting the next book in the series. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For you, Dad.
I am a girl of definitions, of logic, of black and white. Remember this.
I am a girl of definitions, of logic, of black and white. Remember this.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,504,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible