Flawed by Cecelia Ahern

Flawed (edition 2016)

by Cecelia Ahern (Author)

Series: Flawed/Perfect (1)

The stunning YA debut from internationally bestselling author Cecelia Ahern. Celestine North lives a perfect life. She's a model daughter and sister, she's well-liked by her classmates and teachers, and she's dating the impossibly charming Art Crevan. But then Celestine encounters a situation in which she makes an instinctive decision. She breaks a rule and now faces life-changing repercussions. She could be imprisoned. She could be branded. She could be found FLAWED. In this stunning novel, bestselling author Cecelia Ahern depicts a society in which perfection is paramount and mistakes are punished. And where one young woman decides to take a stand that could cost her everything.… (more)
Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:Flawed
Authors:Cecelia Ahern (Author)
Info:New York: Feiwel & Friends, 2016
Tags:Fiction

Flawed by Cecelia Ahern

Recently added bymitesser, proudreaders, private library, misslyns78, kkneff, PaigeTurner1, Arina40, AllAndAnyBooks

Flawed starts off a bit slow but stick with it, it'll be worth it in the end. The slow beginning acts as a great introduction to the world Celestine lives in. In this world, people are branded with an 'F' if they're deemed 'flawed'. As if the scarring isn't enough they are forced to live by simpler means than those around them.

A simple act of kindness leads Celestine to become the most flawed person ever. Most people have 1 or 2 brands but no, Celestine is shamed by being sentenced to 5. Only, the branding doesn't go as ordered thanks to a corrupt judge with a personal vendetta...though you'll have to read the book to learn more about that.
Once Celestine is locked up (in what's pretty much a glass cage) the story begins to pick up.

The act of branding is horrific and unimaginable, but this books makes it feel so real. Considering how much I disliked Celestine in the beginning I didn't expect to like Flawed as much as I did (I know it's a product of her upbringing but still). She does eventually redeem herself though and is stronger for it.
I'm impatiently waiting for the final installment in this dystopian series!

*ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  maebri | Mar 10, 2020 |
Flawed is the first installment in Cecilia Ahern’s new young adult dystopian series about a society where everyone is expected to be morally and ethically perfect. Engaging and thought-provoking, the novel is a bit of a slow-starter, but the story is quickly gains momentum which makes it virtually impossible to put down.

Seventeen year old Celestine North is a logical thinking, rule follower who tries to keep under the radar. She views the world as black and white and she never questions the policies that she is expected to abide by. She has a wonderful relationship with boyfriend Art and her family has a tight friendship with his father, Judge Bosco Crevan. Judge Crevan holds a powerful position in the government as a judge for the Guild who decides the fate of a person accused of moral or ethical violations. When Celestine is accused of being “flawed”, she begins questioning the system while at the same time trying to navigate her new life.

Celestine is a just a normal, average teenager before she is thrust into the spotlight after she is judged and found guilty of being “flawed”. Upon returning to school, she is subjected to the derision of her classmates and she is forced to deal with the fact that some of her teachers are refusing to teach her. The strict set of rules she must now follow as a “flawed” person affects every aspect of her life and her home life is a minefield as she tries to stay out of trouble with the harsh and uncaring Whistleblower assigned to monitor her. Celestine is also under heavy media scrutiny and since the local news is under the control of Judge Craven, she is fearful that her comments will be twisted to suit his purposes. Not knowing who to trust, she finds unlikely allies whose offers of assistance appear genuine, but Celestine remains wary that they might have a hidden agenda.

The storyline is well-developed, very creative and extremely innovative. Several plot points are thought-provoking with some aspects bearing eerie similarities to Nazi Germany. The very premise of perfection is subjective and this provides numerous opportunities to reflect on the violations that are construed as flaws. Basic compassion and acts of kindness are often at odds with the strict rules and the very process of deciding an accused person’s fate is ripe for corruption. The situation with Celestine occurs just as opposition for the flawed process is rising and she is suddenly the face and voice for those trying to end the practice.

Flawed is an outstanding young adult novel with an intriguing storyline. An absolutely brilliant first installment in Cecilia Ahern’s Flawed series that will leave readers very impatiently awaiting the next book in the series. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
As the risk of starting this review with a bit of a bad pun... Flawed is inherently... flawed.

I'll start with the good. The concept of this dystopian world is fascinating and not so outlandish it couldn't be possible. There's a great pressure to fulfill a sort of expectation as human culture evolves, and with with rise of social media, the pressure to keep up with others and to be perceived as perfect grows and grows. So why not take it a step further - create visible brands for those who are imperfect, so they can't hide it and we know? That way, we could avoid the "scum of the earth" and make strides toward a more perfect version of humanity.

This is all interesting, and the bare bones of it are well conceived. But beyond the idea, beyond the ticking clock of Celestine's courtroom case... the story begins to unravel. There's not a lot of support for this society, and things shift too quickly. Even Celestine herself, an outspoken supporter of the Flawed system, finds herself completely changing her worldview after a single, seemingly inconsequential event. And, somehow, this girl inspires the country? The plot pieces fall too perfectly into place without anything substatial to support the change.

Similarly, the characters are shallow. They chase their minds and change their stories at a moment's notice to serve the author's grand design of the story... no motivation required. It was impossible to care about the characters because they never went more than words. They lacked a multifaceted depth that made them relatable. So many characters seemed to appear solely to create a subplot. Subplots that never blossomed into fruition, to my opinion.

The story moved along quickly enough, so I'll give it points in that respect. I'm not sure if the general shallowness was because of Cecelia Ahern's writing, or if she's just better suited to her usual adult novels instead of YA. It just didn't grip me as much as I felt like it should.

As a whole, there's a lot of potential in Flawed, but it failed to follow through. The elements were there, but the lack of depth in characters and the apparent whimsy in the plot shifts are dealbreakers for me. I appreciate the idea, but as a package, this did not work for me. I won't be adding the sequel to my TBR. ( )
  Morteana | Sep 9, 2019 |
Do we really need another teenage girl in a dystopian society whose life is ruined by doing -what we see- as the right thing? Pretty relentless in it's downer message of a society fighting itself and individuals using them to gain power and money. ( )
  quondame | Apr 30, 2019 |
I just couldn't really seem to get into this book without thinking of a bunch of other books that it was too similar to. I was kind of bummed because I think this book had a lot of potential but it just fell flat for me. ( )
  pennma05 | Jan 29, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Für Dich, Dad
Ich bin ein Mädchen, das auf klare Definitionen steht, auf Logik, auf Schwarz oder Weiß.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,796,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible