Mother Bruce by Ryan T. Higgins

Mother Bruce (edition 2015)

by Ryan T. Higgins (Author), Ryan T. Higgins (Illustrator)

Member:nomerbasic
Title:Mother Bruce
Authors:Ryan T. Higgins (Author)
Other authors:Ryan T. Higgins (Illustrator)
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2015), Edition: 1st, 48 pages
Tags:fiction, 1-3, pre-k-2, Ezra Jack Keats Honor Book, animals, family

Mother Bruce by Ryan T. Higgins

I enjoyed reading this book. I feel like this would be a great book to read aloud to kids. In the beginning, I thought that Bruce was just an average bear that liked eggs until he started to use a computer to look up different recipes to cook eggs. It's hilarious! When the eggs that Bruce was preparing to make for dinner hatched into geese, I loved that! The image of them in the pot calling him mama was my favorite image in the whole book. I like how throughout the text you see bruces character develop and he gets attached to the geese even though Bruce didn't want them, he still ended up keeping them. When Bruce and the geese "migrated" to Miami, you see on the last page that a baby turtle washes ashore and starts to call one of the geese mama! That shows the students how some animals have that automatic instinct to follow the first thing they see and think it's their mother. ( )
  nomerbasic | Nov 8, 2018 |
I liked this book for many reasons. I initially liked this book because of its illustrations. I really liked how textured all the characters throughout the story. I also liked how the book was very humorous. I liked the plot of the story when Bruce the bear accidentally became a the 'mother' to the geese he was meaning to cook on the stove. The story continues as he tries to get rid of them but ends up becoming responsible for them just like a real mother.I liked how in the beginning of the story Bruce doesn't like the geese but as the story goes on they begin to grow on him. I feel that children, especially young readers, will really enjoy this book. I think the big idea of this story is that at first you may not like someone, but as time goes by they might actually grow on you and you might come to love them and the adventures you have together. ( )
  eyale1 | Oct 23, 2018 |
4.5 - Fabulous. Ideal for preschool storytimes and discussions about family. Adorable illustrations! Works very well on multiple levels and very entertaining for adults and kids. ( )
  ThatOneLibrarian | Aug 18, 2018 |
Ms. B recommended

Bruce the bear "was a grump." The only thing he likes is eggs, but when some eggs he has gathered hatch before he can eat them, Bruce has a problem on his hands ("Bruce became the victim of mistaken identity"). Nothing he can do can shake the goslings: he can't return them to their mother, who has already flown south; he can't send them to migrate by themselves; so eventually, they all hop on a bus and go south together.

A few touches of modern snark weave through the story ("...he cooked [eggs] into fancy recipes he found on the internet"; "He liked to support local business, you see") takes away from the otherwise timeless fairy tale quality, but this may appeal to adult readers, and it's still a fun story.

Illustrations vary from page to page: some are on a white background, some full-page, some in comic panels or insets; it's a nice variety that works well for the pace of the story. ( )
  JennyArch | Jun 5, 2018 |
I loved this story. It had a twist at the end and made you think about what might happen next. The classic story of mistaken identity, with a grumpy black bear that likes to eat eggs. When the eggs he find to eat hatch, he quickly has to adapt in order to become a mother to new goslings. It does end with them becoming a family and the goslings growing up. ( )
  Rmendez11 | Apr 9, 2018 |

Bruce the bear likes to keep to himself. That, and eat eggs. But when his hard-boiled goose eggs turn out to be real, live goslings, he starts to lose his appetite. And even worse, the goslings are convinced he's their mother. Bruce tries to get the geese to go south, but he can't seem to rid himself of his new companions. What's a bear to do?

2016 Ladybug Book Award Nominee.

Bruce is a grumpy bear who likes no one and nothing but cooked eggs, but when some eggs he was planning to boil hatch and the goslings believe he is their mother, he must try to make the best of the situation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,232,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible