Deadlock (FBI: Houston)

by DiAnn Mills

Series: FBI: Houston (3)

Two murders have rocked the city of Houston. Are they the work of a serial killer, or is a copycat trying to get away with murder? That is the question facing Special Agent Bethany Sanchez, who is eager for her new assignment in violent crimes but anxious about meeting her new partner. Special Agent Thatcher Graves once arrested her brother, and he has a reputation for being a maverick. Plus, their investigative styles couldn't be more opposite: he operates on instinct, while she goes by the book. When hot leads soon fizzle out, their differences threaten to leave them deadlocked. But an attempt on their lives turns up the heat and brings them closer together, and a third victim might yield the clue that will help them zero in on a killer. This could be the case of their careers . . . if they can survive long enough to solve it.… (more)

This was the first book for me in DiAnn's FBI Houston series. I thought this was a great crime/drama book. Special Agent Bethany Sanchez and Special Agent Thatcher Graves seem to bump heads in the way they operate as agents. Graves does not care for the Sanchez's investigative style at all, he thinks she will not be able to watch his back, and will end up getting him killed.

Graves is a no nonsense, get the bad guy no matter what you have to do to succeed at doing so investigator, he don't mess around he gets right to the point, where as he thinks Sanchez's way of investigation has to be by the book or no go.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes then crime/drama genre.

I had the opportunity to read and review this book by Sourcebooks Fire publishing through NetGalley for an honest review. ( )
  JKJ94 | Oct 30, 2018 |

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes then crime/drama genre.

JKJ94 | Jul 18, 2018 |
Deadlock by DiAnn Mills
Bethany Sanchez is assigned with the dectective Thatcher who put her brother away in prison. They are on an assignment and need to find the murderer soon.
Thare are many facts that are consistent with one another but some things don't add up that it's the same persion.
Wife killed had just inherited 8 million so that's a good reason for her husband to have done it.
She thinks and tracks down more leads that lead in many different directions.
Even when they are shot up because they are solving the murders they keep going: she has to get through to her parents to stop harboring her brother because he had shot at her and her partnet.
Lots of quotes from the scriptures when she really needs to get her head about things.
  jbarr5 | Mar 27, 2018 |
Special agent Beverly Sanchez is on pins and needles the first day that she works with her new partner Thatcher Graves. After all, he did once arrest her brother. Bethany's tries to push her family troubles to the side as she focuses on her job, but the investigation of a possible serial killer leads to several possible suspects--including her own brother. Meanwhile Thatcher is trying to adjust to his new life as a Christian after having once been a ladies man. He wants to earn Bethany's trust and know that he can count on her to cover his back as his partner, but they seem to do nothing but but heads during their first few days on the job. However when her life is threatened, his protective instincts kick in.
This is a solid enough romantic suspense story, as far as that goes. I liked Bethany's character and the crazy quirks - like her parrot - that were thrown in. However I found myself having to suspend my disbelief a bit too much - the way their FBI work was played out, especially in relation to their superiors and colleagues, seemed very unlike how a real FBI unit would act to me. Not that I would know but these two got away with a lot of leeway that seemed odd. So my verdict is this book would be alright if you don't want to think to much while enjoying a love story with some suspenseful scenes. ( )
  debs4jc | May 27, 2016 |
After enjoying the first couple books in this series, I was really excited to read this one. FBI mysteries and crime solving are some of my favorite reads. However this book was a little shy of what I expected.

The book starts out with Bethany Sanchez first day on her new job, a transfer to violent crime unit from another department. She is partnered with Thatcher Graves, an agent who once sent her brother to jail.
The day begins with the second scorpion killing in a short time. The two struggle to hit it off due to their different approach at crime solving and there is a lot of stress between them.

What I liked: The plot was creative. There is quite a bit of action. It spans a period of about two and half weeks and there is a lot happening. DiAnn does a great job of incorporating the faith spectrum in the lives of both main characters, as well as some serious family issues, especially in Bethany's case. She is estranged from her family due to her lack of support and enabling of her delinquent brother and also her difference in faith. That is a huge struggle for her. Her strength and reliance on God and good friends is encouraging.

What I didn't like as much: The relationship with Bethany and Thatcher. I totally understand what the author is trying to portray, I just didn't like the way it came across. Bethany and Thatcher begin their relationship with a whole lot of tension and one minute they are cutting each other down, the next they are building up. I am not sure why, but I just didn't enjoy that part. It's like a love hate relationship to start, but within the span of just a few weeks, they are romantically involved. Also a few things in the book didn't really add up for me.
(Don't want to give away spoilers) There were also quite a few characters to keep up with as well as how they tied in with each other.

The author however did a great job on playing up the killer and keeping you guessing during the whole book. It could have been any number of people. Up until the end I did not really know who the killer was or how everything tied together. I would read other books by DiAnn. This book was just not my favorite one in the series.

I received this book from Tyndale and The Book Club Network in Exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  AimeeSeasons | Mar 12, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

DiAnn Mills is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,601,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible