Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

Milk and Honey (edition 2015)

by Rupi Kaur (Author)

Member:AlemarBrito
Title:Milk and Honey
Authors:Rupi Kaur (Author)
Info:Andrews McMeel Publishing (2015), Edition: Reprint, 208 pages

Milk and Honey by rupi kaur

English (65)  French (1)  All languages (66)
Poetry is very personal.

The most celebrated poets may light your soul on fire. Or they may not speak to you at all. Reviewing poetry is a very personal experience as well, and you should never take a blogger or reviewer's opinion on poetry as law. Read a poem by the poet in question. Find out if they make you come alive.

With that said, I have to be honest - I didn't love Milk and Honey. Rupi Kaur is a highly celebrated modern, feminist poet. Her poetry reaches a lot of people. She's raw and real. But the words didn't reach me. And that's okay, you know? The nice thing about poetry really is that things that don't appeal to me are perfect for someone else!

There were a few poems that I thought were lovely, but mostly the subject matter was something I couldn't relate to. And that's okay too - the first section in particular is something I don't want to relate to. I like her modern style and the brevity of most of her work.

I still recommend you give Rupi Kaur's work a try - whether that's Milk and Honey or another one of her books. You may find her poetry is exactly what you're looking for. It just didn't work for me. ( )
  Morteana | Aug 15, 2018 |
It seems that I am starting to like poetry. I try another poetry book this year and did not enjoy it so much but I like it this one. Is direct, is brutal and beautiful, the poems make you remember your ex, makes you feel the pain of a bad relationship and make you smile about the good moments. you choose your mood and read a part of the book. There is always something that will go to your heart no wonder why it became a bestseller. ( )
  CaroPi | Aug 9, 2018 |
Great collection of poetry. ( )
  DKnight0918 | Aug 6, 2018 |
I'm not the biggest reader of poetry. My poetry consumption normally revolves around the collections my brother pushes me to read. I didn't feel much connection to any of the poems. While I normally appreciate interesting formatting and artwork, that aspect didn't capture my attention to any great degree either. I did read this as an ebook, so the format might have something to do with that. While this wasn't a poor collection by any means, I simply didn't feel much connection to it. ( )
  kateprice88 | Jul 19, 2018 |
This type of poetry just doesn't do it for me. Personally I found a lot of it to be cliche, or slightly altered phrases I've heard before. I only found myself 'high-lighting' one poem.
The poem I did like (not love) was:
"you tell me i am not like most girls and learn to kiss me with your eyes closed
something about the phrase—something about how i have to be unlike the women i call sisters in order to be wanted makes me want to spit your tongue out
like i am supposed to be proud you picked me
as if i should be relieved you think i am better than them"

I can see many people who may enjoy this collection though, and it was a quick read, so if you have any interest in it you might as well give it a go. ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
added by Arvenig | editArvenig, Arvenig (May 21, 2017)

for

the arms

that hold me

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 144947425X, Paperback)

milk and honey is a collection of poetry and prose about survival. About the experience of violence, abuse, love, loss, and femininity.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 16 Oct 2015 23:24:03 -0400)

The book is divided into four chapters, and each chapter serves a different purpose. Deals with a different pain. Heals a different heartache. milk and honey takes readers through a journey of the most bitter moments in life and finds sweetness in them because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,074,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible