SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns…

A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2) (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Sarah J. Maas

Though Feyre now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, but as she navigates the feared Night Court's dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms--and she might be key to stopping it.
Member:shelled11
Title:A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
Authors:Sarah J. Maas
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens, Kindle Edition, 626 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas (2016)

Well developed plot with deft character extensions and some rather spicy sex (still a surprise to my "mom of a YA reader" sensibilities). Definitely NOT for younger YA readers (middle school).
This is a massive book and judging by Maas' snaps in Instagram, No. 3 will be even bigger. I don't mind. :) ( )
  bardbooks | Nov 11, 2021 |
The first book was like a darker mix of beauty and the beast and the folk tale that the novel 'North Child' is based on. Good but far too convenient Fairy Tale ending.

The second book was extremely enjoyable in every way the first book felt lacking. I loved the character development and the new relationships that emerged. And I can't wait to find out what happens next. ( )
  Kat_books | Nov 9, 2021 |
I have no idea how to rate this book. While the story completely enraptured me, I'm a little confused on how this is YA.

What's the difference between erotic and this book? Since I don't read erotica, I'm left in the dark. All I know is I'm a 36 year old woman and was not prepared for the explicit sex.

Part of me wonders if this was supposed to be NA and the publisher put the series out as YA instead, just for bigger sales.

Mass is definitely gifted. I just wish she would take it down a notch so some of the younger teens can enjoy this without going fifty shades of red.
  ElizaTilton | Nov 5, 2021 |
Wow. It's rare for me to find a sequel that is far better than the initial book in a series. I enjoyed A Court of Thorns and Roses enough, but I didn't love it. The love story felt off for one: Feyre and Tamlin didn't have the connection that made me want to root for them. I did want Feyre to succeed, but I definitely had more interest in Rhys from the get-go. (I have a weakness for the redeemable-bad-boy trope.)

Without getting spoiler-y about it, this book affirmed my initial reactions and I reveled in the ship that should have sailed from the start. I get why it didn't and I'm okay with it - again, it showcases how in traditional folklore, you couldn't trust the Fae from one moment to the next. And honestly, it's a nice change of pace from a lot of fantasy novels.

One little thing bothers me: Rhysand's scary parallels to a character in [a:Anne Bishop|26897|Anne Bishop|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1237258217p2/26897.jpg]'s Black Jewels series, Lucivar. Without getting into too much, here's a few similarities: Illyrian versus Eyrien, both races that have hunting/training camps and tend to demean the females in general. Both Rhys and Lucivar have black, membranous, bat-type wings which they would rather die than have destroyed in any way. Both are sarcastic, charming, and scarily powerful, and both have received the insult-nickname of "Prick" from someone they care deeply about. Rhys and Lucivar are both half-breeds, so to speak, and both go through a mating frenzy/ "the rut". I know there are more too, but either way, it's not a complaint per se, since I love both characters. I just wonder if it's a compliment to [a:Anne Bishop|26897|Anne Bishop|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1237258217p2/26897.jpg] that her character was so readily rewritten or if it's a little lazy to borrow so many of the same elements. I guess it's possible that it's all just a coincidence too.

Either way, if you didn't love the first book in the series, I still recommend that you give this one a try. I rushed through a 600 page book in less than 24 hours - even for a speed-reader like me, I would say that's impressive. I can't wait to read what happens next! ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
**spoiler alert** I started this book right after ACOTAR and got sooo mad because I knew that Rhys was about to become the love interest. So I stopped reading out of spite and didn't pick it back up for A YEAR. I learned later that that was the poorest decision I have ever made because Rhysand officially won my heart in this book and I have never wished a fictional character were real more in my life. This book will forever be my comfort book. ( )
  Kasey.Allen | Oct 18, 2021 |

Sarah J. Maasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Josh and Annie - my own Court of Dreams
Maybe I'd always been broken and dark inside.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,339,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible