M Is for Malice by Sue Grafton

M Is for Malice (edition 1997)

by Sue Grafton

Member:eba1999
Title:M Is for Malice
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:Pan (1997), Paperback
Tags:Fiction, Mystery

M Is for Malice by Sue Grafton (Author)

English (31)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
Sue Grafton is my go to author for vacation reads. The dry humor and the 1980's setting with big macs and walkmans just makes me grin. Not to mention phone books and answering machines. well thought out, IGrafton gives you clues along the way but doesn't shout out "here's the bad guy". a+reading ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
Kinsey’s cousin Tasha hires her to find a missing person. Guy Malek ran away from home as a young man and has been missing for almost 20 years. He was always the black sheep of his wealthy family, but when his father passes away and names him in the will his brothers need to locate him. When Kinsey finds him she realizes that he has become a kind and sincere man, nothing like the teenage hellion she heard tales about.

For me, this was one of the best Kinsey Millhone books I’ve read. They tend to follow the same pattern, as most detective novels do, but some cases are stronger than others. After a few mediocre ones this book felt like it got back to the heart of who Kinsey is. She can’t help but look out for people, even if it isn’t to her benefit. She finds herself drawn to Guy and trying to look out for his interests.

This installment also includes the return of Robert, the fellow P.I. and romantic flame that we met in G is for Gumshoe. His presence has an interesting effect on Kinsey. She prides herself on being self-sufficient and never really needing anyone, but having him around makes her question that.

BOTTOM LINE: One of the best in the series so far, this case hits a lot of emotional buttons for Kinsey. It becomes very personal for her and she finds herself thinking about the losses she’s faced in her own life. ( )
  bookworm12 | Sep 24, 2013 |
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |
Kinsey is asked by her cousin Tasha to find a missing heir for a family that really doesn’t want him back. He left years ago, running from him “bad boy” and “black sheep” reputation. Of course, she finds him and seeing how his life has changed, she advises him that going back would probably only cause bad things to happen. Sure enough, he goes back and sure enough, bad things happen.

Sue Grafton is excellent at drawing characters that we really don’t like and she definitely has those in this book. The mystery is not difficult. All the clues are there. What makes this book different is the emotional depth that Kinsey feels for the missing heir. It contrasts starkly with the emotional distance she usually keeps from just about every other human being. It was a bit disconcerting for me.
Dietz was a back and that’s always a good thing for me. The characters that usually ground Kinsey in her world, Rosie and Henry, were not in much evidence. I miss them when they are gone.

Sue Grafton is never formulaic and once again we get a story that is different and intriguing. Halfway through the alphabet and I’m still enjoying them. ( )
  Mrsbaty | Jun 3, 2013 |
This was my first Kinsey book, an I did not really like her as a character. The mystery was interesting enough, but it did not really make me ever want to read more. ( )
  kimreadthis | Apr 24, 2013 |

Grafton, SueAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my good friends...
Barbara Brightman Jones and Joe Jones
and
Joanna Barnes and Jack Warner
Robert Dietz came back into my life on Wednesday, January 8.

Every investigation has a nature of its own, but there are certain shared characteristics," explains private eye Kinsey Millhone in her 13th alphabetic outing. "Here's what you hope for: a chance remark from the former neighbor on a skip-trace, a penciled notation on the corner of a document, an ex-spouse with a grudge, the number on an account, an item overlooked at the scene of a crime. Here's what you expect: the dead ends, bureaucratic bullheadedness, the cul-de-sacs, trails that go nowhere or simply fade into thin air, denials, prevarications, the blank-eyed stares from all the hostile witnesses. Here's what you know: that you've done it before and you have the toughness and determination to pull it off again. Here's what you want: justice. Here's what you'll settle for: something equivalent, the quid pro quo." All of the above are on display in Grafton's latest entry in her increasingly popular series set in a thinly-disguised Santa Barbara, as the virtually ageless Kinsey finds and loses a missing heir and gets back an old lover.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449223604, Mass Market Paperback)

Kinsey Millhone, the normally bubbly California private investigator, is depressed in Sue Grafton's new alphabet mystery; so depressed she goes back with old flame Robert Dietz for a while. Bad move. Meanwhile she gets wrapped up in a family affair, locating the missing heir to a fortune and then protecting him from his ill-intentioned brothers. Typically, our woman Kinsey has little patience with the boys, but a firm grasp of family dysfunction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:50 -0400)

Private investigator Kinsey Millhone is hired to track down Guy Malek, a man who walked away from his family eighteen years earlier and now stands to inherit part of his deceased father's forty-million dollar estate, but unfortunately, not everyone is eager to welcome home the prodigal son.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,208,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible