M Is for Malice by Sue Grafton

M Is for Malice (edition 1997)

by Sue Grafton

Title:M Is for Malice
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:Pan (1997), Paperback
Tags:Fiction, Mystery

M is for Malice by Sue Grafton

English (33)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (35)
This one is more of a sleeper mystery, with a fair bit of attention being given to Kinsey's romantic interests and her newly found family relations. The first half of the book was very slow - great for listening to while engaged in other tasks - but it does pick up the pace and I have to admit that I thought I had identified the culprit, only to be found wrong as the story reached its "tell" plateau. As the saying goes, "The devil is in the details". As always, I continue to enjoy my "retro" journeys with Kinsey, being reminded of bygone days where answering machines where separate devices usually located beside the phone and not some password protected access system one dials in or connects to. Kinsey's love for peanut butter and pickle sandwiches continues to bring a smile to my face: I haven't had one of those sandwiches in decades and yet still remember, like it was yesterday, eating the very same sandwich as a teenagers, although my preference was for dill pickles. ;-)

Another good installment in the Kinsey Millhone series and the perfect accompaniment to listen to while engaging in my Christmas crafting activities. ( )
  lkernagh | Nov 15, 2015 |
Great book & fantastic series! ( )
  JillNYC | Oct 26, 2014 |
Sue Grafton is my go to author for vacation reads. The dry humor and the 1980's setting with big macs and walkmans just makes me grin. Not to mention phone books and answering machines. well thought out, IGrafton gives you clues along the way but doesn't shout out "here's the bad guy". a+reading ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
Kinsey’s cousin Tasha hires her to find a missing person. Guy Malek ran away from home as a young man and has been missing for almost 20 years. He was always the black sheep of his wealthy family, but when his father passes away and names him in the will his brothers need to locate him. When Kinsey finds him she realizes that he has become a kind and sincere man, nothing like the teenage hellion she heard tales about.

For me, this was one of the best Kinsey Millhone books I’ve read. They tend to follow the same pattern, as most detective novels do, but some cases are stronger than others. After a few mediocre ones this book felt like it got back to the heart of who Kinsey is. She can’t help but look out for people, even if it isn’t to her benefit. She finds herself drawn to Guy and trying to look out for his interests.

This installment also includes the return of Robert, the fellow P.I. and romantic flame that we met in G is for Gumshoe. His presence has an interesting effect on Kinsey. She prides herself on being self-sufficient and never really needing anyone, but having him around makes her question that.

BOTTOM LINE: One of the best in the series so far, this case hits a lot of emotional buttons for Kinsey. It becomes very personal for her and she finds herself thinking about the losses she’s faced in her own life. ( )
  bookworm12 | Sep 24, 2013 |

Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my good friends...
Barbara Brightman Jones and Joe Jones
Joanna Barnes and Jack Warner
Robert Dietz came back into my life on Wednesday, January 8.

Every investigation has a nature of its own, but there are certain shared characteristics," explains private eye Kinsey Millhone in her 13th alphabetic outing. "Here's what you hope for: a chance remark from the former neighbor on a skip-trace, a penciled notation on the corner of a document, an ex-spouse with a grudge, the number on an account, an item overlooked at the scene of a crime. Here's what you expect: the dead ends, bureaucratic bullheadedness, the cul-de-sacs, trails that go nowhere or simply fade into thin air, denials, prevarications, the blank-eyed stares from all the hostile witnesses. Here's what you know: that you've done it before and you have the toughness and determination to pull it off again. Here's what you want: justice. Here's what you'll settle for: something equivalent, the quid pro quo." All of the above are on display in Grafton's latest entry in her increasingly popular series set in a thinly-disguised Santa Barbara, as the virtually ageless Kinsey finds and loses a missing heir and gets back an old lover.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449223604, Mass Market Paperback)

Kinsey Millhone, the normally bubbly California private investigator, is depressed in Sue Grafton's new alphabet mystery; so depressed she goes back with old flame Robert Dietz for a while. Bad move. Meanwhile she gets wrapped up in a family affair, locating the missing heir to a fortune and then protecting him from his ill-intentioned brothers. Typically, our woman Kinsey has little patience with the boys, but a firm grasp of family dysfunction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:27 -0400)

Private investigator Kinsey Millhone is hired to track down Guy Malek, a man who walked away from his family eighteen years earlier and now stands to inherit part of his deceased father's forty-million dollar estate, but unfortunately, not everyone is eager to welcome home the prodigal son.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible