The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth) by N. K.…

The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth) (edition 2016)

by N. K. Jemisin (Author)

Member:evareads
Title:The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth)
Authors:N. K. Jemisin (Author)
Info:Orbit (2016), Edition: Reprint, 448 pages
Tags:fantasy

The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin

English (82)  Dutch (1)  All languages (83)
This series is simultaneously epic AF, and totally focused on the personal. It's an amazing combination, and packs a string of big emotional punches. While this second book lacks the big damn reveal awesome of the first, it follows through on the actions, the systems, their consequences. The result is deep and challenging and heart-breaking.

I was particularly struck by how this book shows - and shows with loving, brutal care - how those the system has broken will break in turn. How scars cause scars. How deep the pain goes. The emotional and personal strata of this world are at least as important as the geological, and that thematic work is so damn impressive. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
Not a fan. I would have stopped reading the first book by age 24 except that a friend of mine had commended the series and wanted to discuss the books with me.

So ... finished book 2 and still not a fan.

The world building and characters were interesting, but I just couldn't get past the third-person and second-person present tense used in the books. It meant a lot of characters were telling things and not showing. I found the literary devices pretentious. It constantly pulled me out of the story by making me pay attention to how the book was written and not what the book was about.

I can see why it won a Hugo because of it's themes of hate and slavery, and the exceptional world-building. But frankly, I would prefer to spend my time reading something else.

The story plods, clues are given out in dribs and drabs. I figured things out long before the characters did in many instances.

I never felt a connection to any of the characters. I found the writing distanced me from them rather than pulling me in.

This book was a great disappointment.
  jezebellydancer | Jul 12, 2019 |
Impressive fantasy fiction, made memorable by the insightfulness of the human interactions, and the echo of bigotry and racism in our world, played out in a totally different environment.
I found the second volume a little harder going than the first and third. ( )
  mbmackay | Jul 11, 2019 |
The middle volume of any trilogy is always the least exciting. The first volume leads us in and the last volume provides the closure. The middle volume is all about bridging that gap and so, usually, is not as groundbreaking or exciting or as narratively driven. And so it proves here with The Obelisk Gate from N. K. Jemisin.

We are on a journey and we learn more about the background lives of some of the key characters and there are revelations and switcheroos that make us gasp. But overall there is an awful lot of hanging around not saying what needs to be said and waiting for the adventure to kick in.

Ten demerits to the publisher, Orbit, for putting a key plot revelation into the blurb. Thanks for the spoiler. ( )
  pierthinker | Jun 27, 2019 |
Very rarely is a sequel just as good as the first novel. Everything the first one did well, it does just as well-- if not better-- here. My only complaint is gosh darn it, I dislike Nassun. But maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe it's because we're so close to Essun it's hard to see Nassun as her own person, and not through her mother's eyes. And maybe, in a way, that's the point of this story. To see a person as a person, nothing more and nothing less. And maybe, you come to realize, maybe you do like Nassun, just a bit.

Also Hoa is the best character ever, my gosh, I love him. ( )
  ainjel | Jun 20, 2019 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, WendyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paul, TimMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those who have no choice but to prepare their children for the battlefield
Hmm. No, I'm telling this wrong.

The season of endings grows darker, as civilization fades into the long cold night.

Essun — once Damaya, once Syenite, now avenger — has found shelter, but not her daughter. Instead there is Alabaster Tenring, destroyer of the world, with a request. But if Essun does what he asks, it would seal the fate of the Stillness forever.
Far away, her daughter Nassun is growing in power - and her choices will break the world.

"Essun--once Damaya, once Syenite, now avenger--has found shelter, but not her daughter. Instead there is Alabaster Tenring, destroyer of the world, with a request. But if Essun does what he asks, it would seal the fate of the Stillness forever. Far away, her daughter Nassun is growing in power--and her choices will break the world"--

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,269,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible