Ardour by Nicole Brossard
Even as vowels tremble in danger and worldly destruction repeats itself on the horizon, Ardour reminds us that the silence pulsing within us is also a language of connection. In these poems, intimacy with the other is another astonishment-a pleasant gasp, a "pause that transforms light and breath into language and threshold of fire." Since her first book appeared fifty years ago, Nicole Brossard has left us breathless, expanding our notion of poetry and its possibilities.… (more)

This is one of those relatively short poetry books which is worth ten times its weight or word count. Brossard's words are both elegant and powerful, as gorgeous as they are thick with meaning. Among other snippets, from "Napes":

"in all of us there's a silence
that gallops on nights of sorrow

to be this body in the breakneck speed of the present
brushing against
grief when touching
the other's gestures and their petals
of memory and shimmering

and before the 'bad infinity'
we embrace without hesitation
to impress
the animal leap
an impassive glance
in our chests"

Simply, there's a beauty to this book, in its complete form, that I can't quite put into words. I'll read it again, and again, and pass it along to other poets if I can.

Absolutely recommended. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Oct 6, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,680,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible