Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Uttermost Part Of The Earth: A Guide To…

The Uttermost Part Of The Earth: A Guide To Places In The Bible (edition 2005)

by Richard R. Losch

451381,729 (4)None
Member:mak789
Title:The Uttermost Part Of The Earth: A Guide To Places In The Bible
Authors:Richard R. Losch
Info:Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (2005), Paperback, 260 pages

The Uttermost Part Of The Earth: A Guide To Places In The Bible by Richard R. Losch

Why do we need yet another reference work describing Bible geography? That is a good question, and if you think the answer is “we don’t€?, just try convincing publishers of that.

Would I buy this one? It would not be worth my book-dollars in light of better reference works out there.

Having said that, I’ll review this book as though I don’t already own 20 reference books on the same subject.

Losch moves in alphabetical order through a description of about 75 places, regions, cities, and towns. The majority of entries receive between 1-3 pages each.

The positive qualities:

(1) The page layout is eye-pleasing.

(2) The actual writing is good. For a reference work, the style is lively.

(3) Lesser-known places in Palestine are given new light. For example, do you know what Palestinian town/city is mentioned the most, second only to Jerusalem? Bethel. And what about Peniel? It is only mentioned once in the Bible, but still gets a full page. Nob gets a nod too.

(4) A good number of the places are outside of Palestine.

(5) Some of the places are not even mentioned in the Bible. For example, Qumran, Sepphoris, and Nabatea.

Negative aspects:
(1) Reference works are normally written by an entire host of authors, and as a result are able to pull from the scholarly minds of many rather than one.

(2) Almost no pictures whatsover. Just a few B&W shots of inconsequential things (i.e. some shepherds with sheep). I think the publication budget should have received a few more dollars. A picture is worth the proverbial 1,000 words. On one hand, maybe I shouldn’t fault a book for what it doesn’t claim to be - an illustrated reference work - and yet, one of the purposes of the review is to inform you of whether this is money well-spent. Not including pictures severely limits this book from rising to the top of the pile.
  wisdomofthepages | Feb 16, 2006 |

In "The Uttermost Part of the Earth, Richard Losch provides brief summaries of seventy-six towns, cities, and empires of importance in the Bible or the ancient world. He includes locations from both the Old and New Testaments, some prominent and some less familiar (such as Ai, Babylon, Bethlehem, Calvary, Capernaum, Corinth, Emmaus, Jericho, Nineveh, Shechem, and Samaria), as well as places that, while perhaps not mentioned in the Bible or mentioned very rarely, influenced the world of those who lived in Bible times (including Alexandria, Pergamum, Qumran, Sepphoris, and Tiberias).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:33 -0400)

Presents a brief history of the Holy Land, and features alphabetically arranged entries that describe some of the many geographical regions, empires, cities, and towns mentioned in the Old and New Testaments of the Bible. Includes maps, photographs, a pronunciation guide, and an index.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible