Brief Cases (Dresden Files) by Jim Butcher

Brief Cases (Dresden Files) (edition 2018)

by Jim Butcher (Author)

"An all-new Dresden Files story headlines this urban fantasy short story collection starring the Windy City's favorite wizard. The world of Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, is rife with intrigue--and creatures of all supernatural stripes. And you'll make their intimate acquaintance as Harry delves into the dark side of truth, justice, and the American way in this must-have short story collection. From the Wild West to the bleachers at Wrigley Field, humans, zombies, incubi, and even fey royalty appear, ready to blur the line between friend and foe. In the never-before-published "Zoo Day," Harry treads new ground as a dad, while fan-favorite characters Molly Carpenter, his onetime apprentice, White Council Warden Anastasia Luccio, and even Bigfoot stalk through the pages of more classic tales. With twelve stories in all, Brief Cases offers both longtime fans and first-time readers tantalizing glimpses into Harry's funny, gritty, and unforgettable realm, whetting their appetites for more to come from the wizard with a heart of gold. The collection includes: *"Curses", from THE NAKED CITY, edited by Ellen Datlow *"AAAA Wizardry", from the Dresden Files RPG *"Even Hand", from DARK AND STORMY KNIGHTS, edited by P. N. Elrod *"B is for Bigfoot", from UNDER MY HAT: TALES FROM THE CAULDRON, edited by Jonathan Strahan. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT *"I was a Teenage Bigfoot", from BLOOD LITE 3: AFTERTASTE, edited by Kevin J. Anderson. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT. *"Bigfoot on Campus", from HEX APPEAL, edited by P. N. Elrod. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT. *"Bombshells", from DANGEROUS WOMEN, edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois *"Jury Duty", from UNBOUND, edited by Shawn Speakman *"Cold Case", from SHADOWED SOULS, edited by Jim Butcher and Kerrie Hughes *"Day One", from UNFETTERED II, edited by Shawn Speakman *"A Fistful of Warlocks", from STRAIGHT OUTTA TOMBSTONE, edited by David Boop *"Zoo Day" - brand-new novella, original to this collection<"--… (more)
Member:MrsLee
Title:Brief Cases (Dresden Files)
Authors:Jim Butcher (Author)
Info:Ace (2018), 444 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, short stories, urban fantasy, mystery, Harry Dresden, r2019, ebook

Brief Cases by Jim Butcher

Recently added byHatinder, MrsLee, private library, tintin1960, mrmapcase, hlu1055
    Side Jobs by Jim Butcher (aspirit)
    aspirit: Another anthology of The Dresden Files

English (18)  German (1)  All languages (19)
A good introduction to the world of Dresden. Enjoyable. ( )
  bgknighton | Sep 17, 2019 |
If you are a fan of the Dresden Files, then by no means should you miss this book. It is a collection of short stories featuring many of the characters in Dresden's world, along with Harry himself in a few. Of the whole collection, I had only read one before, but that may be because I don't buy all the mixed author fantasy anthologies that come out. Jim Butcher does the short story well. Each one feels complete, and yet connected to the world. ( )
  MrsLee | Sep 11, 2019 |
The 2nd collection of short stories set in the Dresden Files universe of which only one hasn’t previously appeared elsewhere in other anthologies. There’s a slight departure from he norm as instead of the usual Harry Dresden perspective throughout we get some other viewpoints on a few of the tales with Anastasia Luccio, Molly (twice), John Marcone & Waldo Butters all featured and the final tale has 3 (Harry, Maggie & Mouse). All of the stories get a brief introduction for the setting and how/why it came to be created and where it fits in with the main Dresden series (if it matters). Most of them are set between the latter books of the series so if you’re not up to date then some of the references may not ring a bell but I think only one or two have any real spoilers if you’re not, featuring Molly & Butters’ first experiences of their new roles.

I’ve never been a huge fan of short stories but this was a nice diversion while we wait for the next full instalment in the series. They do actually help fill in a few gaps and provide some new perspectives. Just a shame there’s no Murphy or Thomas along for any of these except for a brief cameo for the latter but I guess we can’t have everything. While there’s nothing exceptional here it’s still a good companion piece to the series and I will be happy to include it when I do my next re-read of the series. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Jul 10, 2019 |
A good collection. I was glad to have access to all three Bigfoot stories in one place.

I think ‘Jury Duty’ is a favorite.
  2wonderY | Nov 23, 2018 |
I went into this book prepared to be frustrated by the fact that there still isn't a new full length Dresden novel. Once in, however, I was thoroughly charmed. This is a series of short stories set at different points in the Dresden Files. A few feature Harry as star, but several stories focus on his companions instead. I particularly enjoyed the story of Molly's first mission in her new job, and the series of Bigfoot stories. I was reminded of how much I enjoy this series, and now I just feel excited for the next book. ( )
  duchessjlh | Nov 20, 2018 |

An all-new Dresden Files story headlines this urban fantasy short story collection starring the Windy City's favorite wizard. The world of Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, is rife with intrigue?and creatures of all supernatural stripes. And you'll make their intimate acquaintance as Harry delves into the dark side of truth, justice, and the American way in this must-have short story collection. From the Wild West to the bleachers at Wrigley Field, humans, zombies, incubi, and even fey royalty appear, ready to blur the line between friend and foe. In the never-before-published "Zoo Day," Harry treads new ground as a dad, while fan-favorite characters Molly Carpenter, his onetime apprentice, White Council Warden Anastasia Luccio, and even Bigfoot stalk through the pages of more classic tales. With twelve stories in all, Brief Cases offers both longtime fans and first-time readers tantalizing glimpses into Harry's funny, gritty, and unforgettable realm, whetting their appetites for more to come from the wizard with a heart of gold. The collection includes: "Curses," from Naked City , edited by Ellen Datlow "AAAA Wizardry," from the Dresden Files RPG "Even Hand," from Dark and Stormy Knights , edited by P. N. Elrod "B is for Bigfoot," from Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron , edited by Jonathan Strahan. Republished in Working for Bigfoot . "I was a Teenage Bigfoot," from Blood Lite III: Aftertaste , edited by Kevin J. Anderson. Republished in Working for Bigfoot . "Bigfoot on Campus," from Hex Appeal , edited by P. N. Elrod. Republished in Working for Bigfoot . "Bombshells," from Dangerous Women , edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois "Jury Duty," from Unbound , edited by Shawn Speakman "Cold Case," from Shadowed Souls , edited by Jim Butcher and Kerrie Hughes "Day One," from Unfettered II , edited by Shawn Speakman "A Fistful of Warlocks," from Straight Outta Tombstone , edited by David Boop "Zoo Day," a brand-new novella, original to this collection… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible