Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy) by Cornelia…

Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy) (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Cornelia Funke (Author), Anthea Bell (Translator)

Series: Inkworld (1)

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.
Member:mj4781
Title:Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy)
Authors:Cornelia Funke (Author)
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2005), Edition: 1st, 576 pages
Collections:Read

Work Information

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (2003)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL, Bitter_Grace, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, dessen Handlung in einer anderen Welt spielt
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (HollyMS)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: An adult-geared take on a similar premise.
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (generalkala)
    Pages & Co.: The Bookwanderers by Anna James (Runa)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Magical adventures for preteen girls
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, das in einer anderen Welt spielt mit einem Mädchen als Protagonistin
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (riverwillow)
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A story of the unlikely hero.
    Bozo and the Storyteller by Tom Glaister (Rubbah)
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A wonderful fantasy book that shows the consequences of one's actions.
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    The Unwritten Vol. 01: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (kaledrina)
    La Bibliothecaire (French Edition) by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Coeur d'Encre montre des personnages de fiction devant s'adapter à la vie réelle tandis que La Bibliothécaire montre des personnes réelles entrant dans des univers de fiction.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
    The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (riverwillow)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Booksloth)

English (454)  German (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (484)
I thought this was a nice book for book lovers, a little too long for the story line, but a very nice read overall. ( )
  ntwillow | Aug 17, 2021 |
I really didn't enjoy this book at all. The characters were either unlikable or passive. The only distinguishing characteristic that some to make them special was how much they like books, but yeah a lot of people like books. The overall tone of the book was extremely unpleasant and I just didn't even want to keep reading it.
I gave this book one star because I'm actually donating it rather than keeping it which is very strange for me. ( )
  cdks | Aug 16, 2021 |
Maggie's father can read people out of books and accidentally read her mother into one, now the villain is after him and Maggie discovers she shares the talent
  ritaer | Aug 11, 2021 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this story.Great story with a real reverence for books themselves. What happens when the bad guys meet the person who made them? I would recommend this story for a fanciful few nights with the kidlets. ( )
  TwilightBlue | Aug 7, 2021 |
Good young adult fiction. A book repairer, while reading out loud, accidentally brings to life characters from a book, who want him to rescue other evildoers. Eventually enlisting the help of the book's author and others, good manages to triumph over evil. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Such breathtaking things are going to happen, you cannot even imagine. SPECTACULAR!, FABULOUS! BREATHTAKING! If you've got to read a book it's got to be this one.

Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. ...

When the villains are at last defeated and the denizens of the book tumble through into reality, it is quite disappointing to find them gaudy, small and trivial. Is Funke saying that, while books as books are wonderful, real life has a solid sort of grimness that renders make-believe flimsy? Or is she pleading with us to mix at least a little fantasy with our reality? I don't know. Inkheart leaves you asking such questions. And this is, to my mind, an important thing for a story to do.

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strecker, RainerSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean Buyer,

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in!

Come in!

Shel Silverstein
For Anna, who even put The Lord of The Rings aside for a while to read this book. Could anyone ask for more of a daughter?
And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although I didn't use it for an elf queen.
For Anna, who put 'The Lord Of The Rings' aside for this book. Could anyone ask more of a daughter? And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although i didn't use it for an elf queen.
The book she had been reading was under her pillow, pressing its cover against her ear as if to lure her back into its printed pages.
Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
Why do grown-ups think it's easier for children to bear secrets than the truth?

A young adult fantasy novel where a young girl and her father are able to bring a story's characters to life with equally good and bad results just by reading.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,604,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible