Inkheart Film Tie-In ; Inkworld v.1 by…

"Inkheart Film Tie-In ; Inkworld v.1" (original 2003; edition 2008)

by funke-cornelia (Author)

Series: Inkworld (1)

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.
Member:Potgik
Title:"Inkheart Film Tie-In ; Inkworld v.1"
Authors:funke-cornelia (Author)
Info:Chicken House (2008)

Work Information

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (2003)

Recently added byalex146, Arena800, bookishly.bri, strachian, forhim647, private library, sabreads, Adria.McKennon
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL, Bitter_Grace, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, dessen Handlung in einer anderen Welt spielt
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (HollyMS)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: An adult-geared take on a similar premise.
    Pages & Co.: The Bookwanderers by Anna James (Runa)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (generalkala)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Magical adventures for preteen girls
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, das in einer anderen Welt spielt mit einem Mädchen als Protagonistin
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (riverwillow)
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A story of the unlikely hero.
    Bozo and the Storyteller by Tom Glaister (Rubbah)
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A wonderful fantasy book that shows the consequences of one's actions.
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    The Unwritten Vol. 01: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (kaledrina)
    La Bibliothecaire (French Edition) by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Coeur d'Encre montre des personnages de fiction devant s'adapter à la vie réelle tandis que La Bibliothécaire montre des personnes réelles entrant dans des univers de fiction.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
    The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (riverwillow)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Booksloth)

English (465)  German (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (6)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (496)
I was looking forward to reading this book, as I had seen the film a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, the book, while the film had kept mostly to the book in its telling of the story, just didn't hold my interest. I held out until page 211 and gave up as I found it unpalatable (this is my own opinion and no one else's). ( )
1 vote AntonyMichaelShannon | Aug 18, 2022 |
This enchanting book offers a unique story that readers can enjoy as children or even as adults. A bit lengthy for a children's book, it can nonetheless instill a love of reading in youth, and act a fun story for parents and kids to read together. I loved this book as a child, and in re-reading it as an adult I find it holds up its charm. I would recommend Inkheart to any book lover! ( )
  WaldensLibrary | Aug 15, 2022 |
This book is the first of the Inkworld Trilogy, with the others in the series being Inkspell and Inkdeath. I first was introduced to the world of Inkheart through the movie of the same name, and from watching this numerous times and also mentioning how I would love to read the book my Husband surprised me with the Trilogy. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive about starting Inkheart, as for the movie to be so good I felt that maybe the book was truly terrible; thankfully I was wrong. There has also been a lot of debate as to whether this Trilogy is suitable reading for the age group it is aimed at (8-12 years), but as parents are the ones who know their children it is not for me to pass comment in this area.

Surprisingly, for a book aimed at this age group, the Author has managed to create characters that are rich and full of life, so much so it almost feels as they may just come off the page and enter the real world alongside the reader. It would have been easy for the Author to just make her characters cookie cutter images and move on with the story, but they endow them with all the personality traits, flaws and weaknesses that go into making us all so uniquely human. Through the book the reader learns about love and loss, hatred and deceit and, although it can become a little dark at times, there is nothing that would make anyone think that these characters could not possibly exist outside the written word; I think that was the beauty of the book for me. The Author has written a storyline that revolves around characters coming out of the book, and carries this theme into them whether they are major leads or just passing through on their way to another story. The Author skilfully manages to keep any secrets the characters may have well hidden, making them not easy for the reader to guess until they are revealed at exactly the right moment, and in exactly the right way; a skill that many other Authors of this genre would do well to learn.

The world in which the book takes place is also very real, there are no made up locations in this book; the reader can visualise a place in Europe where all the scenery described is there. With the colourful houses, I was transported to parts of Italy and Southern France which also included the mountains which seem to be always looming in the background in this region. I could smell the ocean and feel the change in the wind when a storm was approaching.

This is a booklovers book, whether they like the fantasy genre or not, whether books in this age group are their thing or not. This is a book that understands those among us that love to smell books, don’t break the spines and would be devastated if anything happened to our collections. This is a book that says ‘hey it’s OK to be this way. I understand and you’re not alone’. This is an easy novel to read, and pulled me in totally from about the 4th or 5th page not letting go until I closed the back cover on it two days later.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to read, loves books and is open to the infinite possibilities that losing themselves in a book can bring. I already have the remaining two books in the Trilogy lined up to read, but am trying to resist as I don't want to rush through this world without having the time to absorb everything.

Originally reviewed on: http://catesbooknuthut.com/2015/06/15/review-inkheart-inkworld-1-cornelia-funke-...

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
  Melline | Aug 13, 2022 |
Favorite kids book in the world. A girl, Meggie, whose father has the magical ability to read characters out of books. They have lived in hiding since he read a bad character out of a book and her mother was taken into the story. Now the evil character wants him to read treasures and more evil out of books. Meggie discovers her own secret talent and is able to restore her mother to the family. ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
It was a good book overall, but it was just too long and it felt like it was dragging on. I also think that the ending of this book was more than enough, and there doesn’t need to be a trilogy. ( )
  eshea | Jun 27, 2022 |
Such breathtaking things are going to happen, you cannot even imagine. SPECTACULAR!, FABULOUS! BREATHTAKING! If you've got to read a book it's got to be this one.

Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. ...

When the villains are at last defeated and the denizens of the book tumble through into reality, it is quite disappointing to find them gaudy, small and trivial. Is Funke saying that, while books as books are wonderful, real life has a solid sort of grimness that renders make-believe flimsy? Or is she pleading with us to mix at least a little fantasy with our reality? I don't know. Inkheart leaves you asking such questions. And this is, to my mind, an important thing for a story to do.

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strecker, RainerSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean Buyer,

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in!

Come in!

Shel Silverstein
For Anna, who even put The Lord of The Rings aside for a while to read this book. Could anyone ask for more of a daughter?
And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although I didn't use it for an elf queen.
For Anna, who put 'The Lord Of The Rings' aside for this book. Could anyone ask more of a daughter? And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although i didn't use it for an elf queen.
The book she had been reading was under her pillow, pressing its cover against her ear as if to lure her back into its printed pages.
Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
Why do grown-ups think it's easier for children to bear secrets than the truth?

A young adult fantasy novel where a young girl and her father are able to bring a story's characters to life with equally good and bad results just by reading.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,027,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible