A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the…

A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes) (edition 2017)

by Sabaa Tahir (Author)

After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake a perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.Laia is determined to break into Kauf - the Empire's most secure and dangerous prison - to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars' survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom. But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene - Elias's former friend and the Empire's newest Blood Shrike. Bound to Marcus's will, Helene faces a torturous mission of her own - one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape... and kill them both.… (more)
Member:JTimmins
Title:A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes)
Authors:Sabaa Tahir (Author)
Info:Razorbill (2017), Edition: Reprint, 496 pages
Tags:attach on titan 2

A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir

English (48)  Dutch (1)  All languages (49)
Elias and Laia are the two most wanted people in the Empire. Fleeing the main city, the evil Commandant, new Emperor Marcus, and his sworn enforcer, Blood Shrike Helene, Elias and Laia have a single goal: to rescue Laia's brother Darin from the fortress Kauf Prison, with the hope that his skills can help the plight of the Scholars. Something terrible happens in their daring escape, slowing the pair down, allowing them to be joined by past allies. The book moved along at a good pace, even with the switching POVs, and the characters were strong although I did not care for Laia's waffling over whether she wanted Elias or Keenan. In a similar vein, I found Helene's feelings not very consistent either. Lots of murder and mayhem, especially by the psychotic Commandant. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Not nearly as exciting as the first book; this one dwells way too heavily on romance and walking to places. The last third of the book is worth it
  craftytombombadil | Aug 4, 2020 |
I’m not done reading, but I’m so ready to review....I sat on his book till the next came out and I have to say, yeah, I’m not sorry. I worried I’d forget the first (I didn’t) I worried I’d be disappointed (I’m not)

Apologies if I spell things incorrectly- I’m on my iPad with a sleeping child laying on me—and I listened.
The good:
Helene becomes a fully formed, 3D human. And it’s heartbreaking
Elias...reluctant mask, hero complex Elias...has a good bit of growth served up to him through side characters and Laia and it’s heartbreaking
Caris and Marcus remain wickedly cold. I like YA fantasy for this at times. Give me straight up evil.
The pacing is breath taking, heart racing perfection and it’s heartbreaking
Sabaa Tahir’s feminism. Lots of talk about not taking away a woman’s choice, and propping up women by women. Subtler things like Hel considering her sisters wishes...oh, and well, the badasses of this book are women. And they are badasses in a myriad of ways. Tenderness, leadership, evil, cunning, love, fire, fight, intellect...

war in an empire, oppression, genocide, elite soldiering, nobility...a young woman of color rising to the occasion. Her counterparts doing the same. I love these characters, I’m with them, this book may not be groundbreaking but it’s entertaining...

Now, don’t read further if you care

There are several things I need to discuss here including the loss of laia’s Virginity...
Elias is fucking....dead-ish.
What the hell is Laia
Ember, torch, then REAPER?
The swoon of Elias’s prayer directed at Laia
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
It's a competent sequel, feeling both less shrieky and less like hunger games, and I really can't fault the direction that the characters are forced into.

I mean, they just sparked a revolution... and the empire struck back.

It was a novel of setbacks, if you can count being tortured for most of a novel a setback. And I mean the characters, not us, dear reader. It wasn't a bad read, and I usually don't care much for prolonged questioning, but it was done interestingly, so again I can't complain.

Aside from a few rather cool reveals that picked up the pace, the novel did kinda drag in a few places and I kinda struggled to care for the MC's, but fortunately, I did rather enjoy their betrayers and their antagonists. Even so, I did think the pacing was pretty even, but things are still pretty far from being resolved.

That's very good if you want a long series. Not so much if you prefer tight storytelling.

So if you, dear reader, are in the mood for a wrenching YA epic fantasy that goes on and on, you'll probably really enjoy this. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I still don't get the hype, but this series is undeniably fast-paced and action-filled and kept me on my toes the whole time. I loved that we got to see more of Helene in this one! ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |

Sabaa Tahirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hardingham, FionaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McEwan, KatharineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my mother, my father, Mer, and Boon
All that I am, I owe to you.
How did they find us so fast?

From a spark to the
flame: all the Empire is
thrown into chaos.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,676,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible