Venetia (1958)

by Georgette Heyer

Quick-witted, self-assured, funny and beautiful, Venetia is one of Georgette Heyer's most popular heroines. When the dashing Lord Demerel intrudes upon a quiet provincial community in the North of England, news of his scandalous past soon sets tongues wagging. In spite her of sheltered upbringing, though, Venetia is singularly unfazed by the rakish Demerel, and proves to be more than a match for him.… (more)

English (84)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (87)
This is more of a short story than a real novel, and it shows. I was half through the book and starting to get bored because there wasn't much of a story. However, having come this far, I decided to finish the book, and in the last third, there were a few twists which made the whole story a bit more interesting.
There is no character development -- all protagonists remain shallow, and there really isn't much of a plot, either. Very occasionally, there is a bit of witty banter, but that's it.

I seem to recall that I liked Georgette Heyer's books when I was a teen, and maybe this book isn't typical for what she usually wrote, but this book was a bit of a disappointment.

It is nice enough, though, if you have a few hours to spend and nothing better to do or read/listen to.

Richard Armitage did a reasonably good narration, but his diction wasn't very clear in places, and I've heard him do better in other books.

P.S. I've only just realized that this is an abridged version, so no wonder it's so drab. What can you expect from a novel where 2/3 have been cut out? I'll have to pay better attention next time to get the whole thing. ( )
  Belana | Dec 15, 2021 |
Now that's a romance novel.

This is not to say that her other novels that I like do not have romantic elements, but the comedy and historical accuracy tend to trump the romance. This... I didn't like. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Re-read because it ill be the next book discussed on the Georgette Heyer podcast. I gather (from that podcast) that this is many people's favourite Heyer, but it isn't mine. I enjoy Aubrey and the appalling Mrs Scorrier and even the annoying Edward, but Damerel doesn't work for me. The romance doesn't seem that romantic to me: Venetia badgers him until he gives in, right at the end. ( )
  pgchuis | Aug 29, 2021 |
Venetia is not your average girl. She's incredibly smart and uncommonly outspoken. Venetia's life has been what most people consider abnormal. Her mother died when she was only nine years old and no one in the house was allowed to refer to her. Her father's grief was so deep that he locked himself away in a wing of the house and would not allow house guests. Sir Francis also did not pay his children much attention. When it was time for Venetia to be brought out she was not allowed to go to London to her aunt. When Sir Francis passed, Venetia's older brother Conway was in the war and could not be bothered to come home or to take care of affairs through regular correspondence. Venetia couldn't bring herself to leave her younger brother Aubrey alone so she stayed at her home in Undershaw. She managed the estate in Conway's absence. Venetia hasn't had much experience with the world and doesn't worry too much about appearance and everything a lady of her day should.

Lord Damerel is Venetia's neighbor but is rarely in residence. When she runs into him while picking berries one day she is quite surprised. His reputation proceeds him and she knows herself to be in the company of a rake. Venetia also knows, that while there may be some truth to the stories that surround Damerel, that there must be some exaggeration in the stories. Venetia entertains Damerel's company and Damerel is quite fond of Aubrey. Before either Venetia or Damerel is aware of what has happened they've fallen in love with each other. Damerel wishes to reform for Venetia but doesn't believe himself to be worthy.Venetia is a determined girl and won't have just anyone.

I loved Venetia. It was a comfortable read. Venetia is incredibly likable and her interaction with Damerel is witty and enjoyable. Damerel is the perfect reformed rake. He retains just enough of his bad boy ways to make him seductive and sexy. He has a streak of honor that he doesn't get enough credit for. Venetia and Damerel's relationship is unique in historical romance and it's refreshing. If you're a fan of Jane Austen-esque fiction take my advice and do not miss Georgette Heyer or Venetia! ( )
  stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
Venetia is 25, unmarried, and happy to be running her elder brother's household in absence of a husband, content to be a spinster rather than to be married to someone she doesn't love. And then she runs into a long absent owner of a nearby manor, a rake who is a love-em-and-leave'em type of man.

I enjoyed Venetia, though it seemed a bit overlong.

Standard good read by Heyer, just not her best. ( )
  fuzzi | Jun 17, 2021 |

Heyer, Georgetteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, PhyllidaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'A fox got in amongst the hens last night, and ravished our best layer,' remarked Miss Lanyon.
"Beyond my gates I make you no promises: don't trust me! Within them...I'll remember that I was bred a gentleman."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,891,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible