End of Watch: A Novel (The Bill Hodges…

End of Watch: A Novel (The Bill Hodges Trilogy) (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Stephen King (Author)

"The spectacular finale to the New York Times bestselling trilogy that began with Mr. Mercedes (winner of the Edgar Award) and Finders Keepers--In End of Watch, the diabolical "Mercedes Killer" drives his enemies to suicide, and if Bill Hodges and Holly Gibney don't figure out a way to stop him, they'll be victims themselves. In Room 217 of the Lakes Region Traumatic Brain Injury Clinic, something has awakened. Something evil. Brady Hartsfield, perpetrator of the Mercedes Massacre, where eight people were killed and many more were badly injured, has been in the clinic for five years, in a vegetative state. According to his doctors, anything approaching a complete recovery is unlikely. But behind the drool and stare, Brady is awake, and in possession of deadly new powers that allow him to wreak unimaginable havoc without ever leaving his hospital room. Retired police detective Bill Hodges, the unlikely hero of Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers, now runs an investigation agency with his partner, Holly Gibney--the woman who delivered the blow to Hartsfield's head that put him on the brain injury ward. When Bill and Holly are called to a suicide scene with ties to the Mercedes Massacre, they find themselves pulled into their most dangerous case yet, one that will put their lives at risk, as well as those of Bill's heroic young friend Jerome Robinson and his teenage sister, Barbara. Brady Hartsfield is back, and planning revenge not just on Hodges and his friends, but on an entire city. In End of Watch, Stephen King brings the Hodges trilogy to a sublimely terrifying conclusion, combining the detective fiction of Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers with the heart-pounding, supernatural suspense that has been his bestselling trademark. The result is an unnerving look at human vulnerability and chilling suspense. No one does it better than King"-- "A fabulously suspenseful closing volume--Brady Hartsfield, the Mercedes killer Stephen King introduced in his Edgar award winning first book in the trilogy, returns to diabolically drive his victims to suicide in this last, masterful installment starring the ever more winning Bill Hodges and Holly Gibney"--… (more)
Member:burrlib
Title:End of Watch: A Novel (The Bill Hodges Trilogy)
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Scribner (2016), Edition: Book Club Edition, 448 pages

Work Information

End of Watch by Stephen King (2016)

English (116)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (124)
This series has not been sure what it was. End of Watch has more of what one expects from King than its two predecessors. It seems out of place in that world, but a good story in its own right.

Will Patron’s voice work is excellent. ( )
  Joe901 | Nov 2, 2021 |
Readable of course, but far from King's best. I felt that the fantasy/supernatural aspects of the plot was a bit of a cop out, considering that this was billed as his hardboiled straight crime series. The climax was thrilling, but rather predictable. To be honest some of the reason I didn't enjoy it more may have been due to Will Patton's audiobook narration, who I'm not overly fond of as a reader. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |
3,5
  luclicious | Sep 20, 2021 |
3.5⭐️ ( )
  deannachapman | Sep 15, 2021 |
I think it's almost cliché for me to not agree with the bulk of reviews. Well, today will be no different.

This book, in fact this entire series, was simply okay for me. I applaud King for trying to head off in another direction and write more of a cat-and-mouse crime thriller...even if his horror roots popped up in this final book of the trilogy.

I enjoyed Hodges, though I felt the ticking time-bomb of his disease was overly expected. I have never liked King's take on Jerome, and I was actually relieved to find him mostly absent from this volume. In fact, the only character I truly loved through this series was Holly.

And, for me, not sure why, I simply could not suspend my disbelief enough to buy into the whole mind control through hypnotism through a game. It just didn't work for me.

I didn't hate this series, and still feel book 2 is the strongest of the series, but I didn't love it. King has done much, much better.

Assuming his next novel is not a third Jack Sawyer novel with Straub (of which I simply could not care less about), he's about due to blow our socks off with something stupendous. It's been a while, Uncle Stevie. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Get me a gun
Go back into my room
I'm gonna get me a gun
One with a barrel or two
You know I'm better off dead than
Singing these suicide blues.
--Cross Canadian Ragweed
For Thomas Harris
It's always darkest before the dawn.
Et savoir que quelqu'un a besoin de nous est une chose merveilleuse. Peut-être la chose la plus merveilleuse.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,456,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible