Mind Control: Bill Hodges Trilogie 3 by…

Mind Control: Bill Hodges Trilogie 3 (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Stephen King (Author)

3,5201403,650 (3.93)144
"The spectacular finale to the New York Times bestselling trilogy that began with Mr. Mercedes (winner of the Edgar Award) and Finders Keepers--In End of Watch, the diabolical "Mercedes Killer" drives his enemies to suicide, and if Bill Hodges and Holly Gibney don't figure out a way to stop him, they'll be victims themselves. In Room 217 of the Lakes Region Traumatic Brain Injury Clinic, something has awakened. Something evil. Brady Hartsfield, perpetrator of the Mercedes Massacre, where eight people were killed and many more were badly injured, has been in the clinic for five years, in a vegetative state. According to his doctors, anything approaching a complete recovery is unlikely. But behind the drool and stare, Brady is awake, and in possession of deadly new powers that allow him to wreak unimaginable havoc without ever leaving his hospital room. Retired police detective Bill Hodges, the unlikely hero of Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers, now runs an investigation agency with his partner, Holly Gibney--the woman who delivered the blow to Hartsfield's head that put him on the brain injury ward. When Bill and Holly are called to a suicide scene with ties to the Mercedes Massacre, they find themselves pulled into their most dangerous case yet, one that will put their lives at risk, as well as those of Bill's heroic young friend Jerome Robinson and his teenage sister, Barbara. Brady Hartsfield is back, and planning revenge not just on Hodges and his friends, but on an entire city. In End of Watch, Stephen King brings the Hodges trilogy to a sublimely terrifying conclusion, combining the detective fiction of Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers with the heart-pounding, supernatural suspense that has been his bestselling trademark. The result is an unnerving look at human vulnerability and chilling suspense. No one does it better than King"-- "A fabulously suspenseful closing volume--Brady Hartsfield, the Mercedes killer Stephen King introduced in his Edgar award winning first book in the trilogy, returns to diabolically drive his victims to suicide in this last, masterful installment starring the ever more winning Bill Hodges and Holly Gibney"--… (more)
Member:firened
Title:Mind Control: Bill Hodges Trilogie 3
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Random House Audio, Deutschland (2016)

Work Information

End of Watch by Stephen King (2016)

Recently added byjcm790, Pohai, bacummons, private library, along0517, LLonaVahine, DawnSelindh, IMBOS, AlessandraMobley

English (131)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (139)

preso il cattivo
protagonista morto di cancro ( )
  LLonaVahine | May 22, 2024 |
Page-Turning Techniques

In this novel, King gives us a textbook on ways to end chapters and scenes to keep the pages turning. ( )
  gmfbard | Apr 3, 2024 |
Horror
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
Ooof! Talk about karma showing its pretty face of justice.
Over all, this series has been my least favorite King journey. It just feels so different from what I’m use to. End of Watch was the most familiar King of the 3, but this was stepping stones to get to Holly. I met her in The Outsider and really appreciated her character and the different tone she brought to King’s world.“The pink fish reminded me of when I was 19….” ( )
  cmpeters | Feb 2, 2024 |
In some ways, I was a little relieved to see a return to more classic King in this last book, with the addition of supernatural elements backed by a vague explanation that is really ludicrous if examined too closely, but the storytelling is so good that I didn’t really care to examine it, but only wanted to ride along wherever the author wanted to take me. All my favorite characters returned in this last book of the trilogy, but this was somehow less satisfying, as they had already been pretty thoroughly explored in the first two books. I did enjoy the development of the tender friendship between Hodges and Holly, and Holly’s blossoming into a more confident and independent woman. Unfortunately, there really weren’t any new characters to explore, or that were worth exploring.

This whole trilogy of books has been odd for me. Each book has highlighted some of the best and worst of how I feel about Stephen King’s work, from the terrific characters, to the horrifically gruesome details in his action scenes, to the awkwardly unconvincing romance. These were better plotted and less bloated and rambly than is his tendency, and the action wraps up in a more satisfactory fashion than usual.

Audiobook, purchased via Audible, because I was too impatient to wait through the loooooong hold list at the library. Will Patton once again provides a truly masterful performance, which has been so strong through the trilogy that I didn’t even bother to buy the hardcover to read first, as is my custom for all SK books. ( )
  Doodlebug34 | Jan 1, 2024 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Get me a gun
Go back into my room
I'm gonna get me a gun
One with a barrel or two
You know I'm better off dead than
Singing these suicide blues.
--Cross Canadian Ragweed
For Thomas Harris
It's always darkest before the dawn.
Et savoir que quelqu'un a besoin de nous est une chose merveilleuse. Peut-être la chose la plus merveilleuse.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,027,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible