Sharp Ends by Joe Abercrombie

Sharp Ends is a short story collection by Joe Abercrombie, all set in the World of the First Law Trilogy.

It's been a while that I read the First Law Trilogy or any of the novels set in that world, and Sharp Ends made it clear to me how much I have forgotten. Damn. You'd think that books I liked would stay in my brain better than this. In any case, the stories in Sharp Ends did make me want to re-visit the novels to sharpen the connections between them. And maybe draw up my own timeline of events, since the book unfortunately, doesn't provide one that includes the other books. It is a very nice collection for fans of the world, though I probably wouldn't recommend it for newcomers.

Read more about each of the stories on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2018/08/18/sharp-ends-joe-abercrombie/ ( )
  kalafudra | May 21, 2019 |
Major bummer. ( )
  dandelionroots | May 28, 2018 |
I’m a huge fan of Joe Abercrombie, especially of his “First Law” series. This anthology is set in this grimdark world of violence and treachery, and fleshes out many of the much-loved/much-hated characters from the original trilogy and the three stand-alone novels.

My favorites out of the thirteen short stories were:

“A Beautiful Bastard”, the story of Colonel Sand dan Glokta immediately before his was taken captive and tortured by the Gurkish army. My biggest complaint comes with this story, as well: it stops just before Glokta enters the fray, leaving the story mostly untold.

“Yesterday, Near a Village Called Barden”, a story about Bremer dan Gorst, royal observer for the king. This is probably the most touching story I’ve ever read from Abercrombie.

“Two’s Company”, a short story starring Javre and Shev, facing off against Cracknut Wirren on a bridge. Actually, all of the stories with Javre and Shev were very good, and it makes me want to go back and reread Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series. I think at least one book, possibly even a trilogy, of Javre and Shev would be fantastic!

“Made a Monster”, a story from the perspective of Bethod and how he sees his uncontrollable champion, Logen Ninefingers, the “Bloody Nine”.

The one story I didn't care for, probably because I don't care for the character, was "Freedom". I simply don't like Nicomo Cosca...

Once again, I listened to this as an audiobook, as I've done with all of Joe Abercrombie's books--I haven't actually "read" any of them, only listened. Steven Pacey is simply perfect for narrating this series. His voicing for all of the characters, every single one, is amazing. There is no problem figuring out who is speaking, because the characterizations are so distinct.

All in all, the stories weren’t bad, but they were mostly just little snippets in a much larger story. And most of them didn’t really end, left wide open for the reader to guess at the outcomes. For those that haven’t read the original trilogy or the standalone books, reading this anthology would be a waste of time. Knowledge of the characters and events is a MUST. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
Abercrombie continues to be one of my favorite fantasy authors; he's fun, he's violent, he's unexpected.

This is a series of short stories that REALLY reached 5 star levels in some, but 3 star levels in others. Overall, it made me want an entire story of Shev and Javre, or a full continuation of the main story. It feels a bit "spin-off"y, but I feel that's more a compliment to how much I enjoyed The First Law Trilogy, Best Served Cold and Red Country (wasn't a fan of the Heroes for some reason...).

I wouldn't start with this one, but it's probably fine to satiate our desire for book 6/7 in the main series. ( )
  hskey | Aug 31, 2017 |
Loved it. As expected with short story collection, it is a bit of a mixed bag: most stories are good and some are awesome but inevitably there are a few that I enjoyed not quite so much.

Highly recommend to Abercrombie fans and readers familiar with the First Law world. I wouldn’t recommend for the new readers – whilst some stories would work, majority would lose too much without the context. ( )
  Jawin | Apr 26, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031639081X, Hardcover)

From New York Times bestselling author, Joe Abercrombie, comes a collection of award-winning short fiction set in the world of the First Law.

And after years of bloodshed, the idealistic chieftain Bethod is desperate to bring peace to the North. There's only one obstacle left - his own lunatic champion, the most feared man in the North: the Bloody-Nine . . .

Sharp Ends combines previously published, award-winning tales with exclusive new short stories. Violence explodes, treachery abounds, and the words are as deadly as the weapons in this rogue's gallery of side-shows, back-stories, and sharp endings from the world of the First Law.

For more from Joe Abercrombie, check out:

Novels in the First Law World
Best Served Cold
The Heroes
Red Country

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 11 Oct 2015 01:59:00 -0400)

"The Union army may be full of bastards, but there's only one who thinks he can save the day single-handed when the Gurkish come calling: the incomparable Colonel Sand dan Glokta. Curnden Craw and his dozen are out to recover a mysterious item from beyond the Crinna. Only one small problem: no one seems to know what the item is. Shevedieh, the self-styled best thief in Styria, lurches from disaster to catastrophe alongside her best friend and greatest enemy, Javre, Lioness of Hoskopp. And after years of bloodshed, the idealistic chieftain Bethod is desperate to bring peace to the North. There's only one obstacle left -- his own lunatic champion, the most feared man in the North: the Bloody-Nine..."-- Page 2 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,494,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible