The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2015

by Adam Johnson (Editor)

Other authors: Daniel Alarcón (Contributor), Lesley Nneka Arimah (Contributor), Shane Bauer (Contributor), Box Brown (Contributor), Anders Carlson-Wee (Contributor)26 more, Emily Carroll (Contributor), Katie Coyle (Contributor), Paul Crenshaw (Contributor), Rebecca Curtis (Contributor), Josh Fattal (Contributor), Corinne Goria (Contributor), Sheila Heti (Contributor), TJ Jarrett (Contributor), Heidi Julavits (Contributor), Ammi Keller (Contributor), Victor Lodato (Contributor), Alex Mar (Contributor), Sarah Marshall (Contributor), Tom McAllister (Contributor), Inés Fernández Moreno (Contributor), Christopher Myers (Contributor), Claudia Rankine (Contributor), Paul Salopek (Contributor), Leanne Shapton (Contributor), Sarah Shourd (Contributor), Bryan Stevenson (Contributor), Paul Tough (Contributor), Wells Tower (Contributor), Kawai Strong Washburn (Contributor), Joan Wickersham (Contributor), Rachel Zucker (Contributor)

Series: The Best American Nonrequired Reading (2015), Best American (2015)

For the past year, a group of high school students met at a publishing house in San Francisco every Monday night to read literary magazines, chapbooks, graphic novels, and countless articles. This committee was assisted by a group of students that met in the basement of a robot shop in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Together, and under the guidance of guest editor Adam Johnson, these high schoolers selected the contents of The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2015. The writing in this book is very essential, if not required, like visiting the Louvre if you're in Paris. In any case, nothing in this book takes place in Paris, as far as we can recall, but it does feature an elephant hunt, the fall of a reality-TV star, a walk through Ethiopia, and much more of what Johnson calls "the most important examinations in life."… (more)

The high school students at 826 National always do a wonderful job of compiling terrific readings for this annual collection. The 2015 collection is every bit as wonderful as the ones which preceded it and contain something for every reader. Not every story appealed to me, but all were excellently written and worthy selections for this annual anthology which I look forward to reading every year. ( )
  Paul-the-well-read | Apr 18, 2020 |
I think I'm probably done with this series now. Well Tower's "Who Wants to Shoot an Elephant?" is well written but pretty hard to read; other than that, the selections this time were pretty skippable. ( )
  JBD1 | Jul 29, 2017 |
I looked forward to reading this anthology, but I was somewhat disappointed. Granted, I am older than the high school students who comprise the team of editors who made the selections, and I think that was important. There is one awesome very short piece by Claudia Rankine titled "You are in the dark, in the car..." (page 139), which I am going to scan. I need to follow up on this author. Great piece. There is also a nice group of four poems by TJ Jarrett which I want to scan as well. "The world we knew favored speed or steel. Or both. We could run when they took up arms or we could square the body against the pain we each would know." That is excellent: "square the body against the pain we each would know." Other than those two pieces, I found that I stopped reading each piece after a certain point, saying to myself, "Oh, well, that's enough of that." I am going to try other years of the series just to get a broader view. I appreciate the long-term commitment that the students make to the process of reading magazines and journals over the course of a year. ( )
  eowynfaramir | Dec 2, 2016 |

Washburn, Kawai StrongContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wickersham, JoanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zucker, RachelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nyquist, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,648,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible