The man in the high castle : a novel by…

The man in the high castle : a novel (original 1962; edition 1962)

by Philip K. Dick, Robert Glaster (Bookjacket Designer.)

12,262324430 (3.68)2 / 480
Now an Amazon Original seriesWinner of the Hugo Award"The single most resonant and carefully imagined book of Dick's career"--New York TimesIt's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. The few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco, the I Ching is as common as the Yellow Pages. All because some twenty years earlier the United States lost a war--and is now occupied by Nazi Germany and Japan.This harrowing, Hugo Award-winning novel is the work that established Philip K. Dick as an innovator in science fiction while breaking the barrier between science fiction and the serious novel of ideas. In it Dick offers a haunting vision of history as a nightmare from which it may just be possible to wake.… (more)
Member:KellyinSD
Title:The man in the high castle : a novel
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Other authors:Robert Glaster (Bookjacket Designer.)
Info:New York : G. P. Putnam's Sons, [c1962]
Collections:Paperback SF/F/H

Work Information

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (1962)

Fatherland by Robert Harris (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are alternate histories set in a USA changed by World War Two.
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (ateolf)
    Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alt history
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (Anonymous user)
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Two very different approaches to using an oracle, one the Tarot, another the I Ching, to help structure a book's narrative.
    Farthing by Jo Walton (rretzler)
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    Divine Invasions: A Life of Philip K. Dick by Lawrence Sutin (Anonymous user)
    The Lost Continent by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    Sylak: Alternate history following WWI
    Resurrection Day by Brendan DuBois (RG_331)
    RG_331: What would happen if the Cold War escalated
    SS-GB by Len Deighton (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: Alternate History: Axis powers won WWII
    The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad (andyl)
    andyl: Alternate history novel that also uses the book within a book device.
    China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (ahstrick)
    The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Disturbing Alternate Histories of America.
1960s (114)

English (306)  French (4)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  Slovak (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (322)
A few notes from the re-read:

* the Mickey Mouse watch didn't figure as prominently as I recalled. This may be because a 1938 Mickey Mouse watch now has about the same prized kitsch status as in the novel, making its appearance less jarring than 25 years ago.

* the dialog is awful: articles dropped inconsistently, idioms pointedly mis-stated. Seems to be an attempt at what the red-staters might call Chinglish. Unfortunately the same mistakes are made by all non-American characters, regardless of their national origin.

* I suspect that PKD thought the I Ching was of Japanese origin until midway through the novel, when somebody told him and it was too late to redo the whole thing.

* Tagomi hypnotizes himself into appearing in the real word, i.e. the one PKD inhabits - a scene that the non-San Franciscan might misinterpret as just a surreal moment devoid of pedicabs.

* The novel ends when the I Ching reveals to the characters that they are living in a novel (or at least, a false reality). Super meta and a big cop-out at the same time, like a lot of PKD endings. ( )
  mkfs | Aug 13, 2022 |
Got it from the wait list at the library and found it impossibly boring. I hated the premise and just could not get interested at all. It is most likely just not my genre and might be a good read for someone who is into Sci-Fi. I quit at about four chapters. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
Fantastic set up, chilling description of the Nazi Reich cobbled from the memories and thoughts of those on the outside. let down by a slightly anticlimactic ending, but otherwise superb alternative reality fiction ( )
  KatherineJaneWright | Jul 17, 2022 |
I wanted to like this more than I did. I did really like the idea - what would the world be like if Germany and Japan had won WWII? That aspect of the book was interesting to think about and to explore that alternate world. But I didn't care about any of the characters and nothing much happened, so there was not a lot of plot. It was sort of "a day in the life" exploration instead. ( )
  Pferdina | Jul 2, 2022 |
Dick's second best novel after Ubik. But most non-scifi readers are going to like this more than Ubik. Alternate history that points to actual history. The Germans and the Japanese have won WWII, it is the 1960s, and they are not too fond of each other. That's as much as I'm going to give you. The usual Dick theme of shifting realities. Very well drawn characters and a plot supposedly determined by the I Ching that leads to several interesting climaxes. Dick tends to be a bit dated now, pointing to the 60s and 70s for themes, culture, and language, but Castle isn't hampered by this like some of his other novels.

This is a genre bender that I would only hesitantly call science fiction. Everyone I have ever recommended it to that hates scifi still loves this book. Despite the usual Dick weirdness at times he tones it down and maintains coherence enough to appeal to the non-genre/non-Dick fiction reader. Just enough for Dick fans, but not too much for the rest.

If you are mainly a hard scifi fan, Dick is going to be a tough pill to swallow. He utilizes the usual scifi tropes at times but doesn't really care how consistent they are and doesn't dwell on them except as necessary to get whatever his point or theme is across. He is primarily literary and only secondarily scifi.

This is really a beautiful little novel and definitely in my top 25 books of all time. One of the VERY few books I would even consider reading a second time. ( )
  Gumbywan | Jun 24, 2022 |
Dick is entertaining us about reality and madness, time and death, sin and salvation.... We have our own homegrown Borges.
added by GYKM | editNew Republic, Ursula K. LeGuin

Philip K. Dick's best books always describe a future that is both entirely recognizable and utterly unimaginable.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

Philip K. Dick... has chosen to handle... material too nutty to accept, too admonitory to forget, too haunting to abandon.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post

North, HeidiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stöbe, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiner, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Anne, without whose silence
this book would never have been written
To my wife Tessa and my son Christopher,
with great and awful love
For a week Mr. R. Childan had been anxiously watching the mail.
They know a million tricks, those novelists...Appeals to the base lusts that hide in everyone no matter how respectable on the surface. Yes, the novelist knows humanity how worthless they are, ruled by their testicles, swayed by cowardice, selling out every cause because of their greed...all he's got to do is thump on the drum, and there's the response. And he laughing of course, behind his hand at the effect he gets. (p. 128)
At six-fifteen in the evening she finished the book. I wonder if Joe got to the end of it? she wondered. There's so much more in it than he understood. What is it Abendsen wanted to say? Nothing about his make-believe world. Am I the only one who knows? I'll bet I am; nobody else really understands Grasshopper but me - they just imagine they do.

Alternate history
given alternate history;
what's true? What isn't?
(ed.pendragon)
Complex novel in
scope and ideas but flawed in
its execution.
(passion4reading)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,793,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible