No Safe Secret by Fern Michaels

No Safe Secret (edition 2018)

by Fern Michaels (Author)

858141,824 (4)1
Member:PaulaLT
Title:No Safe Secret
Authors:Fern Michaels (Author)
Info:Zebra (2018), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages
Tags:fern michaels

No Safe Secret by Fern Michaels

Engrossing story about a woman who has suffered through many abusive relationships--first with her mother and brother while growing up, and later with her husband and stepsons. A really good story that held my interest with a likable lead in Molly/Maddy, and some pretty horrible characters, as well. I loved when Molly finally stood up for herself and took back her life and became a stronger woman. ( )
  PaulaLT | May 16, 2018 |
Thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for a free copy of No Safe Secret by Fern Michaels.

This is the first of Fern Michael's books that I've ever read, and I wasn't sure what to expect. I work at the library, so I see her titles go in and out all the time, but I assumed this would be light romance. Yeah, it's not light romance.

No Safe Secret follows a woman during two times in her life. First, when she's known as Maddie, she experiences a horrific rape on the night of her senior prom and flees her small town -- leaving behind her negligent mother and all of the other awful people in her life.

Secondly, as an adult, she's changed her name to Molly and married a rich dentist, but her situation has not gotten any better. Her husband is horribly abusive, her step-sons are terrible to her. It's from one awful situation to another.

This is an incredibly important subject to write about, and I commend Fern Michaels for how she treated it. The rape and abuse are described in detail, just as a warning. But it also serves as an important look into why a person would stay in an abusive relationship and how they can repeatedly be abused throughout their lives.

I do wish that the ending had been stretched out a little more. From the back cover copy, I thought that there would be more of a focus on her previous life being discovered and the fallout from that. That came relatively late in the book, though, and the revelations at the end came at breakneck speed. It was gripping, and the book was hard to put down, but I wish it could have been given more time.

Still, like I said, a disturbing and important book. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |
Another excellent book by Fern Michaels. This is the story of Molly (madly Carmichael) and the secrets she has lived with for 21 years. She finally deals with the secrets and puts her life in order for herself and her daughter. I've been a Fern Michaels fan for years and I highly recommend this book. ( )
  CandyH | Aug 2, 2016 |
I have read several of Fern Michaels’ books. I find that I don’t enjoy her series books. They are too “lightweight” and predictable. However, her stand-alone books seem to be much better quality. This one was really good, in fact it was riveting.

Maddy Carmichael is a high school senior. Her mother is a drunk and her brother an absolute jerk. It is her prom night and she has bought herself a lovely dress. She hopes to have one night to remember – and that she does. She is brutally raped by several of her brother’s friends. Later that night she flees her home, planning to head North and reinvent herself. However, a final act of revenge follows her.

It is 21 years later and she in now Molly McCann, married to an affluent dentist, lives in a beautiful home, has two stepsons, and a daughter that she adores. From outside appearances she lives the perfect life. But Molly is good at keeping secrets. No one knows about her past, and no one knows how abusive her husband is. At some point secrets come out, and as her life starts to unravel there are secrets she didn’t even know.

I had trouble putting this book down. Each chapter just pulled me in more and more.
Thank you to GoodReads and Kensington Press for the advance copy. ( )
  BettyTaylor56 | Jul 6, 2016 |
Good book depicting deleterious impact of childhood trauma and neglect on one's life. ( )
  ebrahmstadt | May 1, 2016 |

From her silver Mercedes to her designer kitchen, Molly's life is gleaming and beautiful, at least on the surface. Married to Tanner, a top cosmetic dentist, she has a wonderful daughter finishing high school and twin stepsons from Tanner's first marriage. No one in her exclusive neighborhood in Goldenhills, Massachusetts, knows what living with the demanding Tanner is really like. They know even less about the life she left behind in Florida almost two decades ago.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,385,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible