A Crown of Swords Book 7 of the Wheel of…

A Crown of Swords Book 7 of the Wheel of Time (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Robert Jordon (Author)

A fantasy tale in a world where only women are allowed to practice magic. What's more, they will fight to preserve this feminine monopoly. When shepherd Rand al'Thor discovers he has the gift of magic, he is in for trouble. By the author of Lord of Chaos.
Member:Zogrim
Title:A Crown of Swords Book 7 of the Wheel of Time
Authors:Robert Jordon (Author)
Info:orbit (1997), Edition: paperback / softback

Work Information

A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan (1996)

English (73)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (74)
Halfway through this renowned epic fantasy series, I find that I'm hooked even if somewhat begrudgingly. For books of such lengths (>650 pages in hardcover) with barely incremental forward movement of the central storyline, I find them difficult to put down. I am reminded of a soap opera. Jordan weaves a plethora of storylines with flawed (mostly) empathetic characters each sufficiently developed, including, if to a lesser degree, his human villains, that I am captured by their personal stories. I still dislike his frequent depiction of the genders as two completely separate species unable to understand the other and often, thus, descending to dismissive or arrogant condescension. At times, I think Jordan does so in an attempt to be humorous, but it falls flat. Sophmoric sexism however tongue-in-cheek. Still, Jordan is masterful in creating unique different cultures and nations, each to admireable detail -- if still, in my humble opinion, being excessive in his detailed description of each character's, seemingly, daily change of clothing. This seventh novel's conclusion falls back to the worn out narrative device in that of Books 1 - 5: the final pages depicting Rand (the central protagonist) battling another Forsaken (major minion of the Dark One), although this time it is unclear if the villain is truly killed, despite Rand believing so. Jordan again peppers the book with a number of human insights and pithy comments, although some display the sexism I make note of. Examples are in the Comments section below. ( )
  Dr_Bob | Jan 26, 2022 |
I still love this book, but I must admit that it's solely because of Ebou Dar minus Tylin. The hunt for the Bowl of the Winds, the discovery of the Kin, and so much of the character-based humor is so on-point I don't care about the fact that there's a lot in this book that I don't care for. Cadsuane is not one of the parts I dislike, I think she's wonderful, but I would have appreciated more about her from Merana's perspective - especially the dig about en-Wardering a certain person.

Morgause has maybe one chapter, so that was nice.

Everything else...Moody Rand, Perrin & Faile's confirmed toxicity, all that junk with the Shaido and Sevanna and TYLIN (bears mentioning twice) makes this the first book where I really want to skip chapters.

'A Crown of Swords' has some of Jordan's best and worst character work of the entire series within it's pages. It is a book I will continue to read fondly when I am not groaning in frustration at certain choices.

The Wheel of Time

Next: 'The Path of Daggers'

Previous: 'Lord of Chaos' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Jan 14, 2022 |
There's been a lot of reviews already, so I'll just confirm: a bit of a slog, good subplots for Egwene and Mat, although the whole bit with Queen Tylin is disturbing. I really just want to slap Nynaeve. I like strong female characters but she is so aggravating, so patronizing and un self-aware it drives me nuts. Also I find Perrin's and Faile's relationship disturbing. The only healthy relationships appear to be among the Aiel, and that isn't a given. I still love the world and am amazed at all the intricate plot threads. ( )
1 vote TheGalaxyGirl | Dec 14, 2021 |
This is the first book in the supposed slog of the series. To be honest, it's been a slog for me since book 4. And I like this one a little more than book 6. There are some long-needed telling-offs and putting-in-places. And while the ending isn't as banger as previous books, there are some cool happenings such as a hobo rumble.

This is the first book in the series to squarely address the problem of rape. It doesn't examine the issue in much detail, but it does explore the confused mix of emotions felt by a male victim of a female rapist. And the book acknowledges that in a world where women have most of the power, women can rape men and get away with it, and the male victims won't be taken seriously. ( )
  KGLT | Oct 31, 2021 |
Wow, I didn't realize how long this one took me to read - 42 days! Since the pandemic started, I've lost my 2 hour daily commute/listening time, so I only get to listen when I do road runs/walks. Still, I thought that I'd read it quicker than that. Maybe it's because it just flowed better than the previous one? I'm glad to see that Mat got a lot of face time in this book, even if he's still so whiny. And the return of another character that hasn't been around for awhile was very welcome. On to the next one! ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he one with the land. Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield. He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow. Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

- From a much-disputed translation of 'The Prophesies of the Dragon' by the poet Kyera Termendal, of Shiota, believed to have been published between FY 700 and FY 800.
To Harriet, who deserves the credit once again.
From the tall arched window, close onto eighty spans above the ground, not far below the top of the White Tower, Elaida could see for miles beyond Tar Valon, to the rolling plains and forests that bordered the broad River Erinin, running down from north and west before it divided around the white walls of the great island city.

Rand al'Thor, il Drago Rinato, si prepara ad attaccare il Reietto Sammael in Illian, e al tempo stesso si adopera per reprimere la ribellione portata avanti dai nobili di Cairhien. Con l’aiuto di Asha’man, Rand dovrà affrontare in un terribile duello Sammael a Shadar Logoth per conquistare la corona di Illian, un tempo nota con il nome di Corona d’Alloro e ora chiamata Corona di Spade.
Egwnene al’Vere e Siuan Sanche tentano di mettersi alla guida delle Aes Sedai ribelli a Saidar e contrastare il gruppo comandato da Elaida nella Torre Bianca di Tar Valon. Intanto, nella città di Ebou Dar, Elayne Trakand, Nynaeve al’Meara e Mat Cauthon sono ancora in cerca del ter’angreal, il solo mezzo con il quale sarebbe possibile bloccare l’innaturale clima torrido che il Tenebroso ha gettato sul mondo. Il Popolo del Mare sarà loro alleato nella ricerca e nello scontro con un Gholam.
What's happening here? / Some kind of plot or intrigue / I'll go back to sleep (davidwil)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,316,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible