Vengeful (Villains, #2) by V. E. Schwab

Vengeful (Villains, #2) (original 2018; edition 2018)

by V. E. Schwab

Series: Villains (2)

Marcella Riggins needs no one. Flush from her brush with death, she's finally gained the control she's always sought--and will use her new-found power to bring the city of Merit to its knees. She'll do whatever it takes, collecting her own sidekicks, and leveraging the two most infamous EOs, Victor Vale and Eli Ever, against each other. With Marcella's rise, new enmities create opportunity--and the stage of Merit City will once again be set for a final, terrible reckoning.… (more)
Member:sami7
Title:Vengeful (Villains, #2)
Authors:V. E. Schwab
Info:Tor, Kindle Edition, 462 pages
Tags:to-read

Vengeful by V. E. Schwab (2018)

How can I review this book without sounding like a madman? I don't know if I can....

I LOVE THIS BOOK.

I was already in love with Victor, Syd and Mitch, so going back to them was like visiting a friend after a long time. I was immediacy invested in what was happening and (just like in the first book) the formatting only make it better. Also just like the first book, I couldn't stop reading, I made myself stop because I needed to sleep because it was for me only I could have read this book in a day or two without sleeping, but... you know... life exist and I needed to be a functional human being, sadly.

I also really enjoyed the new characters. Marcella and June were great, badass and their powers were great! And now into spoilers...

ELI BACKSTORY. I didn't expect that, to be honest. I mean, I supposed he would be an orphan survivor of abuse because of the scars that were mentioned in the first book, but THAT?? My god, it was intense and sad, but also fascinating because you can see how he was from a very young age and that make him even more interesting as a character. How he trained himself to pose as a normal kid, to express emotions and to make seem like he had them... it was just great.

Also all the time in EON (that btw in Spanish is called ONE) was... interesting, to say the least. The experiments that Harvert made on him were perfect, horrific and mad, but perfect... and the payoff... great. Just great. His time "helping" Stell was also great to see how much he was willing to do to gain his freedom but also to continue with his goals of eliminate EOs and Victor specially.

VICTOR SITUATION. I suffer. Man, I really suffer for him. I don't know why I'm so attached to Victor, but I am and his arc in this book was painful. I wanted to help him and protect him. I was so tense, wishing he could find a solution and also escape from EON and... not die. Also, watching him grow as a character, being attached to Syd and Mitch more and more, even when he didn't want to admit it or demonstrate it.... and when he finally confronts Eli again... that "Run... Catch me." part I was screaming internally. THAT ENDING.

Can I say...? I think Eli is alive, it's just take him longer to cure himself because of the serum.

MARCELLA. Like I say, I really, really liked her. Her power was AMAZING. Her backstory was also amazing. I think she has the perfect combination of power, backstory and personality that makes a good badass woman (she's also a little power-crazy but it's okay, we like her anyway). In a moment I was "what are you doing, woman????" because she went way over the top with some stuff, but still... I liked how her arc went and ended.

SYD AND JUNE Since book one I wanted to hug and protect Syd and this book was the same in that aspect. Seeing her grow was great, and how her powers improved over the years... wow. I was worried that she would bring back Serena tho, and I'm glad she didn't. Her relationship with Mitch, Dol and Victor was really cute and I like how they became a family in their own way. I also really liked June and her power, and I'm intrigued to know more about her and her backstory. Her relationship with Syd tho... I don't know. At times, it felt cute and needed, but other times felt kind of creepy. I suppose that was the intention. In the end I understand that she wanted to protect Sydney but also I'm glad that Syd went back with Mitch and Dol.

So, basically, I'm in love with these characters and story and... I hope the next book is on the horizon. Also, I think Schwab has become one of my new favorites authors... I would need to read some of her YA books someday, when I'm in the mood for YA again. ( )
  Merlucito | Sep 19, 2020 |
I would say that the sequel to the first book is better? I love the introduction of so many new characters and their stories. If you enjoyed the first book, this one will definitely be worth the read. Hopefully there will be a 3rd book soon! ( )
  nikkiyrj | Sep 18, 2020 |
I was definitely interested in seeing where this book was going to go after the ending of Vicious and I can't say I saw this coming. This story continues to follow Eli, Victor, Sydney, Mitch and who can forget Dol but also adds in some new characters.

This book is full of sociopaths and I'm not disappointed. It's written in the same style as the first with all the jumping off time lines, but also there was a lot of jumping between characters POV which I love getting. There is tons of thrilling action and I honestly could not have predicted the ending if I had tried.

I had actually anticipated Eli and Victor working together at one point/resolving their issues and boy was I happily wrong at the outcome. I really enjoyed how Sydney grew into her own person and her determination to be her own person. She went through a crap childhood, and lived with criminals for years, but there is good, and a sense of innocence still in her.

I love how well the duology was wrapped up, not a 100% happy ending, but happy enough. I wouldn't mind another book in this same world following some of the new characters we were introduced to as well as old. ( )
  chelseapoff | Sep 8, 2020 |
-- Supposed to be a Buddy Read with the lovelies Hannah and Bree --

“Maybe we are broken. But we put ourselves back together. We survived. That’s what makes us so powerful. And as for family—well, blood is always family, but family doesn’t always have to be blood.”

FORMAT READ: Audiobook (Recommended) via: Libby
SIMILAR VIBES: A Darker Shade of Magic & The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
READ FOR: thought-provoking story and complicated characters (anti-heroes)
READING LEVEL: Level 3-4 out of 5
tw // suicide, harm

*All of my reviews are as spoiler-free as possible-spoilers are marked*

BASIC PLOT:

Read only if you have finished Vicious: In this book after Victor is revived by Sydney, he doesn't come back 100% like before. Mitch, Sydney, and Victor move around to try to find a cure for victor but encounter... problems. New characters are introduced (that I honestly liked). While Eli, on the other hand, gets captured and helps a certain EO hunting agency to trach down other EOs.

as usual, v.e. schwab does not fail to amaze me, especially as a character-driven biased person, I fall in love with her characters every time. I was so immersed in the story as usual and I love that I can always count on V.E. Schwab to do this to me.

First of all: JUNE, MARCELA, AND SYDNEY QUEENS!!

I live for the feminism in this book and how well they were projected like UGHHH I have no words. They were so interesting to me and and I could read a whole book about them only (which maybe was what should’ve been done? oops). The character dynamics especially with Sydney and Mitch make me so soft inside though, I’m glad we got to see more of that.

“He didn’t know how he was broken, but he just wanted to fix it”

guys, eli. ELI. He’s the anti hero of the anti-hero but I can never get myself to hate him. In fact, I love him guys. He just wants to be happy and not feel broken. I don’t know how else to keep this spoiler-free without mentioning more but just know that.

Even though I loved the characters I can’t help but criticize the plot because everything happened the was I thought it would and nothing really surprised me in terms of the plot. Although, I did enjoy it a whole lot and it was nowhere near bad... It was just predictable. Especially compared to Vicious hehe

If you have ever read any V.E. Schwab book, I think you can agree with me that she has a very unique mood in her writing. A little bit dark, but still captivating and endearing in a way. Her writing style is still one of my favourites.

Honestly, I’m really sad we got less of the magical realism element here. It took a different approach as compared to Vicious and that’s probably why most people were disappointed. Especially with Victor and Eli, we got less time with them and given this is a sequel for their story I guess I just wanted more of them. I didn’t even really realize it until I finished the book so yeah… it just depends on what your expectations are going in.

CHARACTERS: ✦✦✦✦✦
PLOT: ✦✦✦✧✧
WRITING STYLE: ✦✦✦✦✦
WORLD BUILDING: ✦✦✦✦✧
THEMES: ✦✦✦✦✦
PAGE TURNER: ✦✦✦✦✦

a lot of people said that they didn’t enjoy this book as much probably because they were comparing it to vicious. Since it’s been at least a year since I read Vicious this probably lessened my prejudice going into the story. Although, I couldn't help but wish for more magical realism after I finished reading and compare it to Vicious so hehe. I mean it is the sequel. I still feel like something was missing for me in the end… I wanted a closure that I didn’t get (kind of).

At the end of the day, I really did enjoy this book and I would recommend it. Just don’t go into it expecting another Vicious since it leaned more on the crime side.

I seriously need a live action version of this NOW.

VILLAINS SERIES REVIEWS
Book #1 : Vicious ★★★★★
Book #2 : Vengeful ★★★★★ ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
I had much the same “problem” with Vengeful as I did for Night and Silence. This is very much a Schwab novel—well-written, complex, playing with the meaning of hero and villain, right and wrong, now with more fantastic female characters!—and also very much a continuation and conclusion of Vicious. It deepens and broadens the world a little, explores consequences like whoa, and, yes, even uses the same non-linear format.

Everything I expected, in other words, but nothing in the meta-structure that I didn’t, and while this was a perfectly good and interesting read, I didn’t feel like it added much to the conversation of the first book or packed the same punch for me as Vicious did. That could be my usual problem with sequels, that I know what to expect more since reading the first book so the second’s not as fun; it could be the gap between publications; it could be the slump-like mood I’ve been in this month; or it could be genuinely not-as-powerful writing. Hard for me to judge, I think, even if I reread Vicious.

I did like Schwab’s extra world-building, though. The EO powers continue to be very cool and kind of horrific and painful in unexpected ways, and everyone’s motives are complex and sad and well within the realm of moral greyness. The things that have happened in the wider EO world since Vicious are believable and spin the world out wider too, as I said, and it was nice to revisit the returning characters and meet the new ones, who are, admittedly, pretty darn awesome. Everything fits together neatly in the end too—so yes, this is a well-written book! And very Schwab. I just didn’t like-like it, if you know what I mean.

One other note: Schwab’s on record that Victor’s confirmed asexual in this novel. I’m not sure I buy that he is, though there’s a statement (one) that he doesn’t care about sex in relationships. On the one hand, that means none of the ace 101 stuff I whine about or heavy-handed ace coding, but it also means people who aren’t looking probably won’t notice. It would’ve been nice to have something a little firmer.

Warnings: Death, murder, grief, guilt, multiple types of violence. Suicide and suicidal ideation. Prison. Codependency.

6/10 ( )
  NinjaMuse | Jul 26, 2020 |
While seeking revenge, dig two graves—one for yourself.

(Douglas Horton)
The night Marcella died, she made her husband's favorite dinner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,522,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible