The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang

The Prince and the Dressmaker (edition 2018)

by Jen Wang (Author)

Paris, at the dawn of the modern age: Prince Sebastian is looking for a bride--or rather, his parents are looking for one for him. Sebastian is too busy hiding his secret life from everyone. At night he puts on daring dresses and takes Paris by storm as the fabulous Lady Crystallia--the hottest fashion icon in the world capital of fashion! Sebastian's secret weapon (and best friend) is the brilliant dressmaker Frances--one of only two people who know the truth: sometimes this boy wears dresses. But Frances dreams of greatness, and being someone's secret weapon means being a secret. Forever. How long can Frances defer her dreams to protect a friend?… (more)
Member:MissMyers
Title:The Prince and the Dressmaker
Authors:Jen Wang (Author)
Info:First Second (2018), 288 pages

Work Information

The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang

English (88)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (90)
I rarely become emotional while reading novels anymore, but I had happy tears at the end of this heartfelt, beautiful story.

We need more tales like this, to make up for the classic tropes of gender and appearance.

This is a great read in general, and it might be helpful as a way to help understand why someone would want to wear non-gender-conforming clothes. It would be a GREAT book for someone who likes (or might like) to wear feminine clothes but is concerned that they will not be supported. The protagonists are teens, and I can imagine low-key dropping this as a gift to a kid who is exploring the idea of wearing non-gender-conforming clothing or who is already doing so. Again, we need to see ourselves in our culture, in our media, in our books. ( )
  sonyagreen | Jan 18, 2022 |
All the feels! All the representation! All the yes!! ❤️❤️❤️ ( )
  bookdrunkard78 | Jan 6, 2022 |
This story was so cute. I adored the art style; from the first pages, I felt so cozy settling into the story because of the way the colors and shapes lay on the page. Sebastian's expressions were the best. I was totally into the first 3/4 of the story, following Frances and Sebastian as they navigated their conflicts and their growing friendship. While I understand why the author chose to do it this way, the climax and conflict resolution were a bit surface level/easy/predictable. Also this is a completely personal thing, but I really don't care for grand, public displays of outing secrets or making a point, so I disconnected a bit there. While I loved most of the final fashion show (especially the twist I didn't see coming), I thought the king's comment about knowing his son would be okay because "someone still loves him" counteracted the point of the story. A person's worth isn't defined by other's opinions of that worth, but it's inherent. It was a minor moment whose purpose I think was more to spur the romance aspect, but it still rubbed me the wrong way. Overall, though, this is a great story about being true to yourself that I definitely recommend. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
This was so, so gorgeous and wholesome and so very delightfully queer. A gender flux closeted prince finds a very talented seamstress to design dresses for him in secret. They developed a beautiful friendship. When he got outed, his parents were devastated but the father had the best redemption arc. ( )
  altricial | Dec 17, 2021 |
What a lovely story about being yourself, and how that may be different for different people! I love these characters. ( )
  bunnyjadwiga | Dec 12, 2021 |

Wang, Jenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arnold, AndrewCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bottaini, SaraLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Esposito, TaylorDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marietti, CaterinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,976,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible