The Immortals (Olympus Bound) by Jordanna…

The Immortals (Olympus Bound)

by Jordanna Max Brodsky

English (13)  French (1)  All languages (14)
More paranormal romance and crime thriller than urban fantasy, one is given a world where the Olympian gods live in our midst as diminished versions of themselves, only Selene DiSilva, who was Artemis, and who still tries to live up to her reputation as the protector of the virtue of women, finds herself dealing with a plot to bring back the real old time religion of human sacrifice. This is not quite the novel I expected but I enjoyed it and look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy. ( )
  Shrike58 | Apr 29, 2018 |
The Immortals is not what I was expecting, but it wasn't a bad read. The Greek mythology is impeccably researched, and from the dialog, I'm not at all surprised that the author has spent time in academia. The vivid descriptions of New York City are also very accurate, clearly taken from first-hand knowledge. What surprised me most was the tone. It's more weighty and somber than other urban fantasies. The gods and goddesses take themselves very seriously, despite the absurdity of their presence in an otherwise perfectly realistic world.

Working in the novel's favor is a solid mystery and an interesting cast of characters. The romance developed a little quickly for my tastes, but it was cute and helped lighten an otherwise grim story. In short, I won't be rushing out to buy the next book, but I would recommend The Immortals if you're into Greek mythology and looking for something different. ( )
  les121 | Aug 3, 2017 |
The Immortals is the first in the Olympus Bound series by Jordanna Max Brodsky. It is an urban fantasy/murder mystery blend that has the ancient Greek Gods living as semi-humans, several of which have ended up in New York City. Selene DiSilva, once known as Artemis, is walking her dog along the Hudson river when she discovers the corpse of a young woman. The body has been horribly mutilated, dressed in a chiton and wreathed in laurel. The woman had been crowned and dressed like an ancient Greek priestess... or, more likely, a sacrifice. A virgin sacrifice. Once known as the Goddess of Virgins and the Protector of the Innocent, Selene feels an ancient rage return. Human sacrifice was never part of the ancient rites! She cannot let this crime go unpunished.

This was an interesting read. You really need to like your Greek mythology though. The author goes deep into the Eleusinian Mysteries as part of the plot and one of the characters, a classicist, gives a semi-lecture on how it all works. It also helps to have a foundation of the 12 main Olympians and how they're all related. Brodsky has included a family tree at the beginning of the book (yeah, its somewhat circular) as well as appendix of the main players of Greek myths, both of which are quite helpful. If you aren't interested in the myths then this book probably isn't for you. The author has really done her homework. You can feel her love of Greek mythology on every page.

As to the mystery itself, it is decent. There are plenty of clues laid out along with some misdirection. Selene's view of the world helps obscure things too. Her own confirmation bias brings us down wrong paths, making wrong assumptions simply because she had decided she wanted someone to be the bad guy because it fits her world view though not necessarily the facts. I think if you really know your mythology you will probably be able to figure out who is really behind it all anyway, a lot sooner than Selene does.

My favorite part is how the old gods have managed to fit into society. Or not in some cases. They don't age the same way mortals do so they constantly have to reinvent themselves to keep their true identities hidden. The modern name chosen for each are all pretty great, each one matching up with an aspect of that god or goddess. Selene, meaning moon goddess, and Silva, meaning forest or woodlands, is just perfect for Artemis. Not all gods have accepted the transition well, some have spiraled into insanity. Others still have certain parts of their aspects worshiped (money, communications, liquor) and do pretty well for themselves.

I enjoyed the book. Selene and her siblings coping with modern society is really what made it for me as well as how Brodsky blended ancient and modern mythologies together. Hopefully book two is just as enjoyable, though a little less of classicist lecture. ( )
  Narilka | May 12, 2017 |
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2016/03/14/audiobook-review-the-immortals-by-jord...

The Immortals is a gripping urban fantasy, where the protagonist is more than just a woman trying to help solve a horrendous murder. She is also the Huntress, a Greek goddess dedicated to protecting women and children. I’ll be honest, this is a story that I felt might not work for me, but after hearing rave reviews, particularly for the audiobook version, I had to give it a shot. And my trusted fellow reviewers did not steer me wrong! I have to mention, the author is actually one of the narrators for this book, and she did a superb job! I love when you get an author narration that proves they are just as talented in narrating as writing because no one understands the nuances and characters of a book more than the author. So, you know she nailed the performance.

While walking her dog along the riverbank, Selene discovers the mutilated body of a women who is crowned with a laurel wreath. Being the defender of women she is, she won’t rest until she solves this mysterious death, especially as she suspects it was not an isolated case of violence, but a ritualistic killing that may indicate more killings are yet to come. Her investigation connects her with Theo, a scholarly expert on Ancient Greece who proves to have some interesting ideas about the case. Oh, yeah, and it turns out the murdered victim? His ex-girlfriend. Selene is not thrilled to work with him, but as the case progresses, their paths keep crossing. Their interaction and cooperation seems inevitable.

In the course of these interactions while trying to solve the crime, some sexual tension creeps up between these two. I have to admit, while I felt it added some fun, I also was not into the whole “I am supposed to be a chaste, virginal goddess” thing. Call me crazy, but that is one bit of conflict/personal turmoil I could do without. But, not a sticking point for me, just was something every time it came up I was ready to get past it.

We also get to meet a couple other gods/goddesses. Some of them are in danger/dying as they can only preserve life and power when humans believe in them. And well, there are not that many believers in modern day. I thought this added another interesting dynamic to the story.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable read. The narration was very well done, not just by Jordanna Max Brodsky, but also by Robert Petkoff. Definitely recommend.
  tenaciousreader | Jul 25, 2016 |
Received via Orbit Books in exchange for an completely unbiased review.
Also posted on Silk & Serif

The first thing that really captured my interest with The Immortals was the depth of the research committed to get all the details right in reference to the Greek gods, their world and their cults. Clearly, Brodsky wanted a novel based on mythological fact rather than pure fiction. When I realized that Theo would be an academic and Selene would be a Greek goddess, I became concerned that the novel would become incredibly outlandish or unrealistic, but the narrative never veered from it's Greek mythos roots and the characters never broke away from their core foundations. I was impressed that a romantic fiction novelist took the historical and mythological details seriously.

It's usually easier to begin a book of this magnitude with aspirations for a novel with true historical detail than actually committing to the art. Generally, I find the author's interest in academic details begin to fizzle when the romantic aspects of the tale begin to develop. Brodsky stays her course and builds upon a well developed world to create a palatable romance in the midst of so much ancient drama.

I loved the fact that in Brodsky's debut novel we see role reversal in genders. Stereotypically we see female humans who fall into the realm of gods, teaming up with an attractive male God, whom the main character inevitably fall in love with. Normally this main character realizes their own super powers or learns of a secret lineage..however, Brodsky turns this routine plot on its head with a female goddess who meets a male human who's just that - an every day human. I loved that the gender roles were reversed!

My only complaint was the obvious love triangle between Selene, Theo and Selene's ancient mythological lover. I despise love triangles and didn't particularly enjoy this one. Unfortunately, I can never see a true need for a love triangle in a novel and it only forces me to dislike both the main character and the love interests. I'm kind of a jerk that way. Regardless, I found The Immortals to be a unique novel with some serious intellectual details to keep me satisfied throughout the treacherous love triangle.

Although the idea of Gods living among modern day humans has been done to death the novel itself was engrossing, well plotted and well researched which more than made up for some of the novel's predictability. I could have definitely done without the love triangle ad the ending was disappointing, but overall the novel was a fantastic start to what promises to be a fantastic series. A story of the ill fated lovers, mystery cults and aging Greek gods who live among us in modern day New York? Definitely worth the read!

I am unable to write a review to quite capture my feelings on this novel, but I can say that it was a satisfying read that was difficult to put down. Brodsky is a talented writer.

This book will appeal to readers who enjoy novels about the Greek pantheon, romance, action, murder mystery and strong female protagonists. This book would be extremely satisfying for the historical reader looking for a little history mixed with modern day romance and intrigue. I would not suggest this novel to people who do not enjoy love triangles or struggle with academic details in their mystery novels. ( )
  trigstarom | Jul 9, 2016 |
For Jason, who believed
Selene DiSilva crouched in a narrow alley between two run-down apartment buildings, watching the street.

Manhattan.
The city sleeps. Selene DiSilva walks her dog along the banks of the Hudson. She is alone -- just the way she likes it. She doesn't believe in friends, and she doesn't speak to her family. Most of them are simply too dangerous.

In the predawn calm, Selene finds the body of a young woman washed ashore, gruesomely mutilated and wreathed in laurel. Her ancient rage returns. And so does the memory of a promise she made long ago when her name was Artemis. A promise to protect the innocent -- and to punish those who stands in her way.

Much like Lev Grossman's The Magicians spoke to a generation of adults who grew up with Harry Potter, THE IMMORTALS will enchant anyone who loved American Gods or Percy Jackson.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 20 Oct 2015 13:20:34 -0400)

"A high quality contemporary fantasy novel that will appeal to a wide range of readers from American Gods to the kids who grew up reading Percy Jackson. The Relentless One, the Bearer of the Bow, the Untamed.....those are only a few of the names Selene DiSilva's answered to over the years. But these days she's content to work in secret, defending the women of Manhattan from the evils of men. She's reclusive, stubborn, and deeply unfriendly to everyone but her dog. But when a woman's mutilated body washes up in Riverside Park wearing a laurel wreath, Selene finds that she can no longer hide in the shadows. As more women are threatened, Selene is forced to embrace the one name she's tried hardest to forget -- Artemis. For who better to follow the killer's tangled trail than the Goddess of the Hunt herself?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,966,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible