Bella and the Beast (Cinderella Sisterhood…

Bella and the Beast (Cinderella Sisterhood Series)

by Olivia Drake

"Bella Jones feels like a fish out of water in civilized England. Raised abroad by her explorer father, she's amused by the very proper manners of the nobility. Nevertheless, to save her younger siblings from ruin, she must infiltrate a ducal household in order to find the map to an ancient treasure trove. Alas, the haughty, handsome duke stands in her way...unless she can tame his beastly temper, that is. Miles Grayson, the Duke of Aylwin, prefers antiquities to, well, everything else. Especially prying females with their irksome questions. But Bella's blue eyes and beguiling smile are improbably charming, and the temptation of her kiss is impossible to resist. As the pair is swept into a mystery that reaches back to their childhoods, Miles realizes that Bella has made the rarest discovery of all-the key to his heart" --… (more)

*May Contain Spoilers*

Bella and the Beast is part of a sweet and fun fairy tale retelling series "Cinderella Sisterhood" and I have enjoyed (for the most part ) each installment in the series. These books aren't going to work for everyone, but they REALLY work for me. There is just something about these books and the couples I have read so far that I am totally on board with. This book features the retelling (which is pretty obvious) Beauty and the Beast and adds in a twist of a mystery, Boss and Employee trope/and a bit of Enemies to Lovers with some sexy sensuality, a grumpy hero, a fun heroine and a treasure to find.

Clarissa, is our fairy godmother of the series, and when she hears word of a certain young lady returning to England, her matchmaking mind goes at warp speed and starts to make her plans.

Isabella (Bella) grew up traveling along with her father and her twin siblings. Her mother died when she was young, but now her father has just passed away with his last words being "Find Aylwin and the Pharoahs Treasure". So she goes back to England, to the only home that she and her siblings have....a small cottage and goes out in search for a job. But with her middle eastern clothing, she is having a hard time being accepted anyone. But when she comes home, she sees a stranger in her home, drinking tea with her siblings who isn't fazed by their eccentrics. She claims she can help her find a job, if she wears certain "slippers" and seek out the job as Aylwin's assistant.

Miles Grayson, is busy studying his artifacts and doesn't like to be bothered by anyone, most especially a young lady that may be beautiful, but she is entering his private domain, where he wants to be left alone, only to be somehow convinced to take her on as his assistant in cataloguing the artifacts. And what is worse is that she is the daughter of the man he suspects killed his father in Egypt.

Miles and Bella have a history of when they were children, and their fathers worked together and Miles might have found the six year old girl annoying at times to a thirteen old boy, but he saved her life. As Bella starts to work with the artifacts and slowly gets to know Miles, she start to remember flashes of her life with her father in Egypt, and most especially her interaction with Miles. But Bella has a job to do, to find the treasure that will keep her siblings fed with a roof over their heads. But when she goes in search for clues in his "forbidden" wing he comes upon her and his words come back to her and she knows she is in trouble but she is also thrilled by his touch and his kiss. But there is a problem, no matter how hot their chemistry, or how emotions are starting to get in the way of their professional relationship, Bella doesn't believe she is good for a Duke. She may have Aristocracy blood running through her veins, but she has lived out of England most of her life and wouldn't know the first thing about being a duchess. But right when she begins to feel like she is finding a place, her life is threatened and by someone she would never expect because searching for a lost treasure has its consequences...

Bella and the Beast was such a whirlwind of a romance and I really enjoyed this book SO much and I am relieved that I finally grabbed it up because it was REALLY good. I loved the group of themes we have introduced and these characters were delightful. I did find the hero slightly darker than the other books that I have read from Drake, but considering he is the big bad beast of a man, it is to be expected. The dynamics of these characters are "opposites attract" and holds so true for Miles and Bella. Miles is a grouch, grumpy, rough around the edges, impatient and likes his solitude. Bella is happy and cheerful, nothing gets her down, she is responsible but also spirited and quick witted. She keeps Miles on his toes and is definitely a "glass half full" type of gal. She even has a tattoo...which was so cool. You rarely see that in historical romance. We get some fun moments with Bella's siblings, and boy I loved these twins. They were so funny and totally fit the bill for teenagers just wanting to spread their wings. At we get some great moments with Bella and Miles cousin and his wife (who are horrible) but Bella totally puts them in their place and I LOVED that. Seeing this heroine be so quick witted and defending Miles was pure delight.

Bella darling, I want you so very much. You're a fever in my blood.

I really liked how this story played out in the end, and boy the romance was really great too. I adored the way their chemistry builds between them and man this book got me so hot and bothered at times without even meaning to. The hero is very dark and sensual and yeah his whole " you dare come to my wing which is forbidden, I will taste you" got shivers up and down my spine but in a good way. I did find the sexy times to be really sensual and a bit more steamier than I was expecting from this author, but I really enjoyed the writing style in bring the powerful chemistry to the pages. There aren't many sexy moments, but the ones that are in the book are very well written.

The treasure can remain hidden....as long as I have you

Overall I found Bella and the Beast to be a KEEPER....this story had me on my toes, it kept me interested, the romance was sexy and the plot was killer and plus you get to solve a mystery....can you get it right? A PURE DELIGHT IN REAWAKENING A FAIRY TALE!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 24, 2019 |
Bella and The Beast is an adventurous read that intermingles with a burgeoning love story. Olivia Drake did an exquisite job with her descriptive writing. It makes the story so much more enjoyable because the reader feels like they are a part of the story and experiencing the exotic locations first hand. I was even a fan of Bella. Determined to provide for her siblings she did not sit back and wait to be rescued. She took charge and went to any means necessary. Strong female characters are a great asset to any story. I did not like the love story. It came across forced and rushed. I received an ARC of Bella and the Beast from NetGalley. For anyone who has an adventurous spirit this is the book that will satisfy that craving. ( )
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
A Christmas by the Sea by Melody Carlson ( )
  bettysunflower | Jun 21, 2018 |
A captivating read!

From the opening I felt like I'd stumbled into a scene worthy of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants. Only set back a couple of hundred years to Regency England. Here it's the Cinderella Sisterhood and the magic artifact is not denim jeans but Garnett beaded slippers, (to me) reminiscent of those Judy Garland wore in The Wizard of Oz.
Bella Jones has returned from Persia with her younger brother and sister to a small cottage in Oxford, England. On his deathbed her father, a noted ancient civilizations scholar instructs her to find the other half of an Egyptian treasure map from Alwyin. Who this is remains a mystery until her 'fairy godmother' the Countess of Milford, sends her off to secure a position as a curator with the taciturn, withdrawn Miles Grayson, the Duke of Aylwin, an avid collector of ancient artifacts.
Suspicious of all, Miles wants nothing to do with Bella. Despite his best intentions, he is totally beguiled by her. Not to worry, he can always set her up as his mistress. Bella of course has plenty to say about that. The sparks fly with these two, and the plot deepens with ghost sightings, theft and the threat of bodily harm. Bella continues to search for the all important half of the map.
As an aside, I do so love that Bella can use a small dagger to great effect.
Even as the very thought of Bella worms it's way into his heart, Miles finds it hard to overcome his mistrust of everyone, including her. After all, 'Miles kept his thoughts and emotions tightly locked inside the surly facade of a beast. And like a caged beast he snarled at anyone who dared to venture close to him.'
The Miles and Bella story, more Beauty and the Beast than Cinderella, is quite different from the usual regency story with just the right touch of the exotic.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Nov 3, 2015 |
A nice story. Bella wants to find a map that will show her where there's hidden treasure, her father had mention the treasure before he had passed away, and she needed it to take care of her younger siblings. Miles is well known to be rude, grumpy collector of Egyptian antiquities and Bella also believes that he may be in possession of the map, and he needs a curator so she applies for the job.

With Miles' arrogance and moods and Bella's determination, sparks begin to fly between them.
A great romance read which will keep you enthralled to the end. I Ioved it! ( )
  JulieD2 | Oct 14, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,563,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible