Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book…

Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10) (edition 2003)

by Robert Jordan

Member:stargazer228
Title:Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 864 pages

Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan

Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I probably need to read the first part of the series first, instead of starting with #10. ( )
  twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
If you're looking for a treatise on how clothes affect behavior and viewer perception, the stupidness of political maneuverings, the importance of maintaining a mask of serenity on your face at all times, and the frustrations of being kidnapped or stuck in a circus, look no further—this book has got it all.

The first time I read this book I was so excited to get an Asha'man POV post-cleansing. I wanted to see how Rand and Nynaeve were doing. I was looking forward to Faile being rescued and Mat moving on with his life.

Any normal person would have indulged their readers a bit by giving them at least some of this awesomeness. But Robert Jordan, as I've said before, isn't normal. Instead, we have to get through 500 pages of character after character's reaction to the cleansing, and it's basically the same every time: Aes Sedai/Asha'man freak out, try to run away/try to find a way to get to the beacon of Power, and then it stops and no one even knows what just happened. Typical Wheel of Time uninformedness. By the time we finally catch up to "current" events, I am desensitized to the excitement of it all because I've been locked in Jordan's ramblings for longer than I care to think about.

The book wasn't a complete waste, though. I'm finally starting to warm up to the Mat/Tuon thing; I actually kind of like them together now, and their "romance" doesn't seem as forced as it once did. Still sucks that Mat got stuck with a Seanchan noble, but I kind of think the two deserve each other. Egwene had a few more moments of awesome, even though the stupid Aes Sedai are STILL camping out doing nothing. It was quite a relief to end the book with Egwene being captured, because it meant that something might actually happen in the next book, though I was cautiously optimistic the first time. And Perrin finally gets rid of his axe; kind of a disturbing scene, but kind of cool as well.

The best that can be said of the entire book, though, is that we only have to spend about 7 chapters with each character (and Loial is back!) We only have to endure Elayne's boring and torturous succession plot, Perrin's sitting around and doing nothing while he is being torn up inside because of his wife's abduction, that blasted circus, and Egwene's dumb Aes Sedai in smallish chunks before moving on to another equally horrible portion of the book—but at least it's something new, right? ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
This is the first book in a breathtaking series which takes the reader on a quest into a beautifully described and detailed world that truly fires the imagination. Lots of interesting characters, plenty of twists and turns, edge-of-your-seat suspense, action-packed adventure, multilayered storyline, this one's got it all. Magnificent. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
In this book, Jordan lingers over many aspects unnecessarily. While Jordan often went over details mentioned in other books to reconnect the reader, in Crossroads of Twilight, it seems that as much as a quarter of the book was composed of these "refreshed" images like physical descriptions of recurring characters. One particularly annoying mention was Egwene's rickety camp stool. He spent 2 paragraphs on it, rather than just saying "rickety camp stool" and moving on.

While Matt and Tuon seem to be resolved and the cliffhanger positions Egwene, not much is accomplished. Much of the book takes place in the countryside and "in-between" places. That pretty much describes the book, too. ( )
  Hae-Yu | May 5, 2015 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And it shall come to pass, in the days when the Dark Hunt rides, when the right hand falters and the left hand strays, that mankind shall come to the Crossroads of Twilight and all that is, all that was, and all that will be shall balance on the point of a sword, while the winds of the Shadow grow.
--From The Prophecies of the Dragon translation believed done by Jain Charin, known as Jain Farstrider, shortly before his disappearance
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

---Anonymous fragment of a poem believed written near the end of the previous Age, known by some as the Third Age. Sometimes attributed to the Dragon Reborn.
For Harriet
Then, now, and always
Rodel Ituralde hated waiting, though he well knew it was the largest part of being a soldier.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812571339, Mass Market Paperback)

In the tenth book of he Wheel of Time from the New York Times #1 bestselling author Robert Jordan, the world and the characters stand at a crossroads, and the world approaches twilight, when the power of the Shadow grows stronger.

Fleeing from Ebou Dar with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, whom he is fated to marry, Mat Cauthon learns that he can neither keep her nor let her go, not in safety for either of them, for both the Shadow and the might of the Seanchan Empire are in deadly pursuit.

Perrin Aybara seeks to free his wife, Faile, a captive of the Shaido, but his only hope may be an alliance with the enemy. Can he remain true to his friend Rand and to himself? For his love of Faile, Perrin is willing to sell his soul.

At Tar Valon, Egwene al'Vere, the young Amyrlin of the rebel Aes Sedai, lays siege to the heart of Aes Sedai power, but she must win quickly, with as little bloodshed as possible, for unless the Aes Sedai are reunited, only the male Asha'man will remain to defend the world against the Dark One, and nothing can hold the Asha'man themselves back from total power except the Aes Sedai and a unified White Tower.

In Andor, Elayne Trakland fights for the Lion Throne that is hers by right, but enemies and Darkfriends surround her, plotting her destruction. If she fails, Andor may fall to the Shadow, and the Dragon Reborn with it.

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn himself, has cleansed the Dark One's taint from the male half of the True Source, and everything has changed. Yet nothing has, for only men who can channel believe that saidin is clean again, and a man who can channel is still hated and feared-even one prophesied to save the world. Now, Rand must gamble again, with himself at stake, and he cannot be sure which of his allies are really enemies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

Mat Cauthon flees the Shadow and the Seanchan Empire with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, while Perrin Aybara seeks to free his captive wife, and Egwere al'Vere seeks to reunite the Aes Sedai.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,122,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible