Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book…

Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10) (edition 2003)

by Robert Jordan

5,677None748 (3.42)119
Member:stargazer228
Title:Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 864 pages

Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan

10 (12) adventure (20) Aes Sedai (13) book 10 (16) ebook (29) epic (64) epic fantasy (79) fantasy (1,115) fantasy fiction (12) fiction (426) hardcover (45) high fantasy (25) Jordan (26) magic (51) novel (36) own (39) owned (12) paperback (15) read (79) Robert Jordan (61) science fiction (36) series (112) sf (17) sff (55) signed (12) speculative fiction (8) sword and sorcery (8) to-read (36) unread (33) Wheel of Time (530)

English (31)  Italian (1)  All languages (32)
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Crossroads of Twilight was maddening. I read it years ago and ended up giving up on The Wheel of Time after this book. I tried again in my preparation for reading Memory of Light, and I just couldn't manage to do it again. So, as with Winter's Heart, I cheated by reading many of the chapter summaries at Encyclopaedia WOT. I skimmed the chapters involving Perrin's hunt for Faile because I remembered how slow, grueling, and painful they were when I read them the first time. And even though about 25% of the novel was about this storyline, it did not advance at all. I also skimmed a lot of Elayne's campaigning and dealing with the constantly whining Sea Folk because not much happened here, either. There were only two chapters (out of 30) from Rand's point of view. Mat was entertaining, but he didn't get anywhere either.

In Crossroads of Twilight, expect more politicking, planning, negotiating, committee discussions, bathing, dressing, shopping, and description of tapestries and seating arrangements than action. THE PLOT DOES NOT MOVE. There were very few significant occurrences -- mostly the characters just talked to themselves and others. Only one major event happened, and that occurred in the last 3 minutes (on audio).

Here is a sample of some of the pulse-pounding action you'll encounter in Crossroads of Twilight:

"'I see,' Egwene said slowly. She realized she was massaging the side of her head. The throb behind her eyes beat on. It would grow stronger. It always did. By nightfall, she was going to regret having sent Halima away. Bringing her hand down firmly, she moved the leather folder in front of her a half inch to the left, then slid it back."

Riveting... But at least we didn't have to hear about Nynaeve's braid...

There are 1880 characters in The Wheel of Time and it's impossible for anyone who's not writing a dissertation on the series to keep them all straight. It doesn't help that so many of the names are similar, either. At this point, many of them are all just a big jumble and you have to use a resource like Encyclopaedia WOT (who have all 1880 characters listed, described, and tracked) to even begin to understand all of the politicking. It also doesn't help that Jordan made occasional mistakes along the way (nicely pointed out by Encyclopaedia WOT).

If it weren't for Brandon Sanderson's finale, I would absolutely give up at this point (I did once). By the way, let me say here and now (March 2009), for the record, that I don't believe Mr. Sanderson will be able to clean up this mess with only one volume.
Read more Robert Jordan book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This was a loooong read. Sometimes boring, sometimes a good read, but repetitive. How often can we read again that the Ais Sedai have ageless faces, or that Lord Perrin could smell fear.

No matter this, I can't wait to get my hands on books 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15

Wil the tower ever become one again, will the Dragon Reborn save the world. Will Matt marry the Daughter Of The Nine Moons? ( )
  EdwinK | Dec 6, 2013 |
Fantastic!
I have to admit, I am enjoying seeing Perrin pushed to the edge, and a little beyond. He really needs to "grow" but the only way is to force him along certain paths.

I find Matt's acceptance of his fate, in regards to the daughter of the nine moons, very unlike him. He always seems to have fought being forced to do anything, and now he is just going along with it? ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
Of the series, this book was the most irritating. It's like Jordan was trying to get from point A to point B, and he didn't know how to do it. After the exciting end to #9, I felt like #10 dragged. ( )
  publiusdb | Aug 22, 2013 |
The slowest book in the series so far. Bleh. ( )
  journeyguy | Apr 2, 2013 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And it shall come to pass, in the days when the Dark Hunt rides, when the right hand falters and the left hand strays, that mankind shall come to the Crossroads of Twilight and all that is, all that was, and all that will be shall balance on the point of a sword, while the winds of the Shadow grow.
--From The Prophecies of the Dragon translation believed done by Jain Charin, known as Jain Farstrider, shortly before his disappearance
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

---Anonymous fragment of a poem believed written near the end of the previous Age, known by some as the Third Age. Sometimes attributed to the Dragon Reborn.
For Harriet
Then, now, and always
Rodel Ituralde hated waiting, though he well knew it was the largest part of being a soldier.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812571339, Mass Market Paperback)

In the tenth book of he Wheel of Time from the New York Times #1 bestselling author Robert Jordan, the world and the characters stand at a crossroads, and the world approaches twilight, when the power of the Shadow grows stronger.

Fleeing from Ebou Dar with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, whom he is fated to marry, Mat Cauthon learns that he can neither keep her nor let her go, not in safety for either of them, for both the Shadow and the might of the Seanchan Empire are in deadly pursuit.

Perrin Aybara seeks to free his wife, Faile, a captive of the Shaido, but his only hope may be an alliance with the enemy. Can he remain true to his friend Rand and to himself? For his love of Faile, Perrin is willing to sell his soul.

At Tar Valon, Egwene al'Vere, the young Amyrlin of the rebel Aes Sedai, lays siege to the heart of Aes Sedai power, but she must win quickly, with as little bloodshed as possible, for unless the Aes Sedai are reunited, only the male Asha'man will remain to defend the world against the Dark One, and nothing can hold the Asha'man themselves back from total power except the Aes Sedai and a unified White Tower.

In Andor, Elayne Trakland fights for the Lion Throne that is hers by right, but enemies and Darkfriends surround her, plotting her destruction. If she fails, Andor may fall to the Shadow, and the Dragon Reborn with it.

Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn himself, has cleansed the Dark One's taint from the male half of the True Source, and everything has changed. Yet nothing has, for only men who can channel believe that saidin is clean again, and a man who can channel is still hated and feared-even one prophesied to save the world. Now, Rand must gamble again, with himself at stake, and he cannot be sure which of his allies are really enemies.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:29 -0400)

Mat Cauthon flees the Shadow and the Seanchan Empire with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, while Perrin Aybara seeks to free his captive wife, and Egwere al'Vere seeks to reunite the Aes Sedai.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,410,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible